My print is stuck on the build platform (Ultimaker 2)

rguzzo

Posted · My print is stuck on the build platform (Ultimaker 2)

Hello,

I built a "Stacking Cup" with my Ultimaker2 using PLA as the material. After 3+ hrs it was finished but now is stuck to my glass building platform, are there any tips to get it out without damaging the platform? Less concerned about the cup... I appreciate all of your help.

-Rich

EDIT: Some Grammar, not all

Have you allowed the bed to cool down? If you try to remove it while hot it can be fairly difficult.

If it is cool, try to use something thin and sharp (like a putty knife for example) and get underneath the print. Then gently pry it upwards and it should come off without too much problem.

Have you allowed the bed to cool down? If you try to remove it while hot it can be fairly difficult.

If it is cool, try to use something thin and sharp (like a putty knife for example) and get underneath the print. Then gently pry it upwards and it should come off without too much problem.

Thanks for the tip, it was about 1hr ago. I will wait a little longer and go give a try.

I laid down a think layer of Glue like i was instructed, so I didn't place it directly on the glass.

I have removed the piece of glass and placed it in the freezer, I did not have an object that would fit under to pop it off... I am going to chill the glass and get it off...

Make your next print one of these. It's an essential tool...

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:34481

There are a couple of ways I remove pieces (all after cooling, which is definitely what you are doing)

Grab and twist: just grab or pinch the object and twist it without pulling up or down on the print; I would try this one first. I've printed the same file and removed it this way. Feel like you are twisting too hard? see below:

Razor blade: I've used the exact same razor blade from day one with my printer and it's been several months. If you grab the blade with your hand (not responsible for anything :mrgreen:) and slide it across the the surface of the build plate you can get a little momentum as to jam the razor under the print, after that you can circle the print with the razor underneath.

Safer Razor Method: Remove the build plate and do all the steps above. Sometimes things are even too stuck to leave the build plate inside the machine, and I have to take the plate off as to apply more leverage to the glass plate without pushing too hard onto the build plate.

Barnacules figured out that if you turn over a can of "PC duster" and use the liquid to drastically cool the parts, they will come off easier.

However, be careful on glass. I suspect if you supercool a small area on the glass, that small area will contract causing stress in the surrounding glass and possibly cracking it or worse shattering it.

Rguzzo, You should not have to wait that long to get something off the print bed. Once the glass has cooled you should be able to pop the print off. Don't worry too much about damaging the glass, or as most people, effecting the levelling. My build plate takes quite a beating and I rarely level the bed. If you are truly impatient like I am, just hit the print hard and it pops off lol.