getting bad prints on UM2

Posted · getting bad prints on UM2

so i got my ultimaker 2 yesterday and i got a less than satisfactory print on it. when its printing an edge at higher layers it almost looks like the edge i bending whil it prints and the small overhangs on the UM robot look kinda like piled up spaghetti. please help10366114_618554331576224_9182323430482846026_n.jpg?oh=732244e45b5aa029a150b2886a958807&oe=538C46CC

Is that just the standard gcode from the SD card, or did you slice it yourself? Overhanging parts are always going to be a little tricky, and the robot has quite a lot of them.

The issues you're seeing are mostly related to everything being a bit too hot. To begin with, I recommend changing your PLA settings on the printer, to lower the bed temperature to 60º. Then, for best results, I'd recommend printing 2 robots at once, so that the freshly laid down layer on one robot can be cooling while the other is printing.

Also, check that the fan on the back of the print head is running all the time, and the ones on the sides come on after the first few layers and stay on during the print.

Everything illuminarti said will help the "spaghetti" aka overhangs. Lowering nozzle temp a bit might help also.

Also if you want to improve the quality elsewhere, slow down the print to 35mm/sec (or even 20mm/sec if you have all day!) do .1mm layers and cool the temp of the PLA down to about 210C. Don't lower temp without also lowering the speed - at lower temp the PLA gets thicker (like toothpaste) and can't be extruded as fast.

• 2 weeks later...

First re-level your bed, it looks like your first layer is being printed a bit too high. The bottom should be smooth.

Second, lower the bed temperature. Try 60C to start with. I really wish Ultimaker would change the default value for PLA...