make cura faster...

david-ganon

Posted · make cura faster...

hi guys, i was thinking:

what if cura could give you the option to choose one layer height for the outer shell and different one for the fill and support.

the resolution is very important for the outside of the model, but not for everything else.

so lets say the head prints in 0.05 res the outer shell, and after 4 layers it prints the fill and the support in 0.2 res.

it can do this !!!

tell my what you think :)

Daid made some tests a few months ago for having the outer shell drawn in smaller layers and then the inner shell and the infill with significantly larger layer height. However, he decided not to implement this feature. So, if you want this feature, you would have to write it yourself... ;)

NetFabb can do this too, though NetFabb is no longer supported or reccomended... I paid for the comercial NetFabb years ago when it was the reccomended comercial option for UM (and the only alternative at the time was Skeinforge). NetFabb is now way behind in most areas and hasn't received any updates for it's Ultimaker support in well over a year... but although I use Cura for most things I still fall back on NetFabb for high quality prints.

Cheers,

Troy.

I'm still a bit pissed about having spent so much money on Netfabb. Sure, at the time it was the best available, but it quickly became run over by the competition and then they just stopped updating it.

This is a difficult problem in slicing. Most slicers probably implement this by drawing the exact same outer perimeter twice. But it would be better if it followed the contour of the part you are slicing.

But following the part shape means the two skin layers are quite different - or can be. So where to you put the infill? Where the upper layer is? Or the lower? Or half way between?

I know KISS does not simply stack at least. I'm not sure which dimension it goes off of when doing the infill though. Not sure how slic3r does it as I haven't used it very much. IIRC Netfabb followed the contour as well but I haven't used that for years so I'm not 100% sure. Skeinforge used the cheat of just stacking two half height layers directly on top of each other.

Daid made some tests a few months ago for having the outer shell drawn in smaller layers and then the inner shell and the infill with significantly larger layer height. However, he decided not to implement this feature. So, if you want this feature, you would have to write it yourself... ;)

No, I decided that my implementation was crappy (hacked together) the idea still works, but I need to do it better.

No, I decided that my implementation was crappy (hacked together) the idea still works, but I need to do it better.

Oops, sorry... :oops: I should check what other people have really written before writing just some nonsense... :roll:

To my defense: We have 34°C today... B)

@David Ganon: So there is still hope...

Oops, sorry... :oops: I should check what other people have really written before writing just some nonsense... :roll:

To my defense: We have 34°C today... B)

@David Ganon: So there is still hope...

No problem. Hot weather can be a bitch.

This feature is somewhere on my roadmap, but I have no idea when.