Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
medicalmodeller

Software to "cut away" unwanted parts of modelled bone

I am new to 3D modelling. I am trying to convert CT scan of a bone to model. I have used 3DSlicer to convert Dicom to .stl. However I still have a large piece of the rest that the arm was on included in the model. I want to find an easy way of selecting part of the model and discarding it.

I thought that I might be able to do this with Meshlab but the program will not let me select a rectangle. In fact Meshlab keeps crashing so is of little use!

Is there a simple program I can use to do this and tidy up the model?

Thanks

You may look at geomagic.

How does one procure dicom data. Is there data available for commercial use?

I see that there are samples at pixmeo, but didn't know if you could purchase or acquire data for use through any other sites. I am interested in making use of CT data or other medical imaging data but have not set about finding the methods to acquire or convert it yet. Have you made use of Pixeo or OsiriX to convert the data?

it seems that Osirix will convert to obj or .wrl which could then be cleaned up in z-brush,Maya, c4d or your favorite 3d modeling program.

I would really love to hear what anyone may have learned or encountered. I will try to add my 2 cents as I learn.

Thanks

Although this has now been dealt with, if people are having similar issues with modelling bone from image data, our software ScanIP can load CT data and can convert DICOM to .stl - it also has 3D editing tools for deleting a large unwanted region and generating a surface mesh from the images.

If you want to learn more, please visit http://www.simpleware.com or http://simpleware.com/software/trial/ to download a free 30-day trial.

Although this has now been dealt with, if people are having similar issues with modelling bone from image data, our software ScanIP can load CT data and can convert DICOM to .stl - it also has 3D editing tools for deleting a large unwanted region and generating a surface mesh from the images.

If you want to learn more, please visit http://simpleware.com/software/trial/ to download a free 30-day trial.

The big question is how much does your software cost for an individual user?

MM