Ultimaker 2 powers off and reboots itself during print

paddy

Posted · Ultimaker 2 powers off and reboots itself during print

Hello,

I just got my UM2 yesterday and everything was fine until I asked it to print the Ultimaker robot. Two minutes in it turned itself off and on again. I made sure all my power connections were secure and then tried again but it powered itself off and on during a print once more.

I sent them an email yesterday, havn't heard anything back so was wondering if anyone here has had similar issues?

Cheers!

Hi,

!!! It could be an indication of a general problem with the latest Cura version / firmware. !!!

Two new owner in the German forums area have already been reimbursed similar reports.

LINK: http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/6182-aus-und-wieder-einschalten-nach-jedem-druck-beim-ultimaker-2/

The UM2's these users are only a few days in use.

And it is obvious to v14.06.1 only a few days old Cura version.

No matter what the object to be printed, 6 hours printing time is foretold.

The machine breaks randomly from their print job, somewhere, sometime, without reproducibility.

After an engine cold start the printing process seems to work for a while until the game begins anew.

Sometimes can only be started after cold start a new print job.

I have these users advised to test until complete clarification, an older version Cura (including Related firmware) ...Specifically, in order to exclude a suspected temperature problem because the speculation by users.

Markus

Hmmm... since V14.06.2 there is a new source file included in the build which is called lifetimestats.cpp. It does things which are runtime-related.

So Marcus, please specify which version of Ultimaker2Marlin (the firmware) you are referring to: 14.06.1 or 14.06.2? Marlin2Ultimaker 14.06.1 came with Cura 14.06 and Marlin2Ultimaker 14.06.2 came with Cura 14.06.1. Cura is the slicer software and just the installation program for the firmware (Thus, please don't use 'Cura' when referring to the firmware.)

Sorry for possible confusion. :roll:

I am stuck, unfortunately, not so deep down, in Marlin, etc.

Basically, I mean official downloads / official releases, software packages including firmware that is accessible to normal users.

Official releasisCura 14.06.1

But I think that an official software / firmware bundle should be provided with a single version number, which ensures total intended for less confusion.

For experienced users then could there be a separate device firmware as individual downloads, which are provided with appropriate references with which Cura version works the firmware.

No matter ...

I use currently Cura 14.6 with firmware 14.06.1 for almost 93 hours (print time) entirely without problems.

I have the information of the users, not questioned in the German forums area, there is talk of Cura 14.06.1, which is officially available since a few days. It could also be involved Cura 14.6 with firmware 14.6.1 so well. It might be so, although this combination on my machine running smoothly.

Nice to know that some still have the insight. ;)

I found this thread after I read similar reports in the German forums area.

Apparently it involves very fresh sent UM2's. I hope that at least knows Ultimaker which firmware was installed there before the shipment on the devices.

Markus

The machine knows which firmware is on there, it's available from the maintenance menu. (We generally ship with the latest available firmware)

Cura 14.06 shipped with firmware version 14.06.1.

Cura 14.06.1 shipped with firmware version 14.06.2.

(Yes, confusing as hell, sorry for that, the only thing changed between Cura 14.06 and 14.06.1 is the UM2 firmware)

14.06.1 firmware adds the life-time-statistics

14.06.2 firmware adds a fix from simon (illuminarti) for improving the start of a print

A "sudden reset" can be because of 2 things.

1) A "brownout" (voltage drop). Some early machines had this problem where the motor cables where actually damaged and shorted out. This also caused random resets.

2) A watchdog-timeout. If the firmware crashes it auto-resets, however, before this happens it should "halt" for a few seconds. I cannot think up a way how the latest changes could cause this...

Well, if it is the firmware to cause a print abort then we will soon know as UM2 of any age will be affected when their users update the firmware.

The longest print job I did so far on my UM2 was something between 4 and 5 hours. But a longer print is scheduled for the next few days.

Of course, there may be a technical problem. Perhaps it is also a manufacturing error.

It is quite remarkable when emerge in a day, three similar user messages.

With the combination Cura 14.06 / firmware 14.06.1 the longest print job was previously 7 hours.

And Daid, I think it's good that Cura offers the UM firmware update for each installation. For an inexperienced user to be sure to have installed the matched components. ;)

Markus

Hm, the lifetime stats (status) remains in a firmware update?, Or will this be reset?

Should I therefore take notes when needed?

Markus

Hm, the lifetime stats (status) remains in a firmware update?, Or will this be reset?

If it would reset it wouldn't really be lifetime right ;-)

Good to know, good to know that we have a developer who is trying to serve the community ... Master Daid :p

Markus

I did a 11.5h print yesterday on my UM2 which runs with Ultimaker2Marlin 14.06.2. I had no problem at all (means no reset or similar).

Is the power plug fully inserted into the back? It should click into place, and not come back out until you pull the sleeve back on the connector.

As it turned out the power plug wasnt fully inserted into the back! I got it to click in like you said and started another print and I was all high hopes when it got further than it did before but then, ZUEMMMM, it reset again! Thanks for your help though!

The machine knows which firmware is on there, it's available from the maintenance menu. (We generally ship with the latest available firmware)

Cura 14.06 shipped with firmware version 14.06.1.

Cura 14.06.1 shipped with firmware version 14.06.2.

(Yes, confusing as hell, sorry for that, the only thing changed between Cura 14.06 and 14.06.1 is the UM2 firmware)

14.06.1 firmware adds the life-time-statistics

14.06.2 firmware adds a fix from simon (illuminarti) for improving the start of a print

A "sudden reset" can be because of 2 things.

1) A "brownout" (voltage drop). Some early machines had this problem where the motor cables where actually damaged and shorted out. This also caused random resets.

2) A watchdog-timeout. If the firmware crashes it auto-resets, however, before this happens it should "halt" for a few seconds. I cannot think up a way how the latest changes could cause this...

Well it doesnt seem to "halt" for a few seconds, I think it just prints busily and then cuts off. So what should I do? I just got it a few days ago, I looked up the version on the LED and it says 14.06.2. That is probably the lastest firmware version so, what should I do? I still havn't heard anything back from the ticket or email I sent on Friday, this forum is the only feedback I have got.

Thank you

It could be pinched servo cables. It could be a bad PCB. It could be a bad power supply. If it were me I would:

1) Inspect all the servo cables carefully. There are 2 metal covers in the back two corners that hide the servos. Each one has a single screw to take it off (this entire printer is easy to disassemble). Take those off and take them off slowly and look at the cables at the bottom to see if maybe they are damaged (insulation bent or wire coming through insulation). Do the same thing with the larger cover on the bottom of the machine particularly pay attention to where cables go under the cover. The cover on the bottom comes off easily after removing 2 screws.

2) If that doesn't show anything obvious and the cables to all 4 servos look good (no possible short circuits) then I would leave the cover off the bottom PCB to increase cooling.

3) I would also hook up a volt meter to the 5V power supply (not 24V) somewhere on the PCB and do a print and monitor the voltage carefully. See if the voltage slowly drops to 3V. You can pick it up at TP16 and many other places. TP16 is on the "left" side of the PCB (with text around edges in normal orientation). Or you can look at the UM2 PCB schematics and board layout in this pdf here:

ULTIMAKER 2 SCHEMATIC - click "raw":

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Ultimaker2/blob/master/1091_Main_board_v2.1.1_%28x1%29/Main%20Board%20V2.1.1.pdf

I was having a similar problem...somewhat random reboots. I had checked the power cable many times, it was always snug. Then I checked the USB cable. It wasn't plugged in all the way. Voila!

Why does Marlin restart on a USB reset?

Also note that I believe (I don't own a UM2, I have a UM1) the UM2 power supply comes from Meanwell which implies that it has both over current and over temp protection so make sure the PS isn't overly warm and has adequate ventilation.

I was having a similar problem...somewhat random reboots. I had checked the power cable many times, it was always snug. Then I checked the USB cable. It wasn't plugged in all the way. Voila!

Interesting... I dont have my USB cable attached. I read that the USB cable is only used for firmware updates? Why would I attach that?

Well it doesnt seem to "halt" for a few seconds, I think it just prints busily and then cuts off. So what should I do? I just got it a few days ago, I looked up the version on the LED and it says 14.06.2. That is probably the lastest firmware version so, what should I do? I still havn't heard anything back from the ticket or email I sent on Friday, this forum is the only feedback I have got.

Thank you

Still no word from anyone official at Ultimaker. This is starting to get a bit silly!

Still no word from anyone official at Ultimaker.

Did you create a ticket at support.ultimaker.com? Refer to the ticket number in all communications. Daid (posted above) is an employee of UM but he's a software guy. UM's support is very friendly and helpful and gives out all kinds of free stuff but they are understaffed and slow right now. Hopefully that will be fixed. Your fastest solution is to try the three things I mentioned above - they might find the problem pretty quickly. If you don't know how to use a multimeter, maybe you have a friend/neighbor who does?

UM started out selling a hobby kit - so only people who weren't afraid to take the thing apart would buy them. Now people are buying these printers (which are very easy to take apart!) who are afraid to do that. UM is slowly adjusting to this new type of client. So UM is partly relying on this forum and people like me to do the customer support.

Hi Paddy,

Thank you for your post.

I also saw your email in our ticket system and your reference by Nigel.

Can you share your ordernumber with me, so I can check whether or not you are still in the warranty-period?

Quite a few suggestions have been made, from visually inspecting to reading the voltage with a multi-meter, have you tried any of them? Do you want to?

Lets try to find an appropriate solution for your problem, thank you for your time.

1) It's best to check if the motor cables are not "pinched" between the electronics cover and the casing of the UM2. The motor cables are the red/green/black/blue wires. Some early machines had the assembly problem where these cables where improper installed and made a tiny short between the cover and the cables, causing random resets.

2) Partially legacy, partially Arduino compatibility.

Hi Paddy,

Thank you for your post.

Can you share your ordernumber with me, so I can check whether or not you are still in the warranty-period?

Quite a few suggestions have been made, from visually inspecting to reading the voltage with a multi-meter, have you tried any of them? Do you want to?

Lets try to find an appropriate solution for your problem, thank you for your timeI

I checked the power cables but it didn't change the problem. I didn't dissassemble the printer because I thought it would void my warranty but if that is not the case then I will try some of the advice listed. I don't know about using the multi-meter though, I never used one of them before, I don't know where I would get one either.

I will keep you posted on my progress, thank you.

Hi Paddy,

Thank you for your post.

Lets try to find an appropriate solution for your problem, thank you for your time.

I tried take off the 2 metal covers in the back two corners but the cables were fine. However there is a big dent in the chassis where the power cable enters the printer. I cant seem to attach pics to this forum, whenever I do and try to post it gives me an error message, so I'll have to email you the pics.