Help! Lost firmware to UM2

meagan

Posted · Help! Lost firmware to UM2

Please help!

I just got my UM2 and went to update the firmware, hooked it up to the computer and now I have no software on the printer.

I go to install default firmware and it errors as failed to write firmware "Timeout"

Now what???

Did you do anything special to make it work again? If someone else comes across this thread later it's always good practice to let people know HOW you fixed it, not just that you did :)

(If I had to guess you just kept trying until it worked, which is what I've had to do a few times)

In order to exclude a computer problem, you could try the following:

Install on another computer / notebook Cura and try from there the firmware for Ultimaker to transfer.

Or try everything restore the original computer to the state before the Cura-installation, so uninstall Cura and installed by Cura driver, or rather to restore a computer backup.

Markus

One thing that will prevent update is that if Pronterface/Printrun is active and connected to the UM2, you will be unable to update the firmware via Cura until you Disconnect from Printrun.

...says the voice of experience...

Yep, anything with that port open will prevent a second app from opening the port. For example, if you have Cura open, you can't update the FW through the Auduino IDE. Or Cura open and lost in the background and you open another copy of Cura.

I was using a USB extension on my computer to upload the data. Kinda stupid really! I got rid of the extension and hooked directly to my computer. Loaded fine ;)

Thanks for the responses! I'm still learning so I appreciate ur help ALOT!!

Having same error here:

Failed to write firmware "Timeout"

I'm not using a USB extension, I'm running the USB cable straight from my laptop to the UM2

UM2 current firmware is 14.01.02

Any ideas ?

Ok, I've tried three different USB cables including the one which came with the UM2 and each time I get the "Timeout" message.

Worse.... it seems the existing firmware is now corrupt as the machine will no longer print..... :mad:

Within the Cura folder \resources\firmware\ there are several .hex files, each prefixed by marlin though.... I'm tempted to try one of these but have no idea which if any of them, are the correct ones for the UM2 ?

Question:

What do I need to do in order to get this machine to update it's firmware ?

If you haven't tried it yet, I would switch to a different USB port, to one that is driven by a different USB host in your computer (or try a different computer).

If this doesn't help, you may try to remove the Arduino board from the rest of the UM2 electronics and flash the Arduino board only (on the UMO, this helps in certain cases).

Do you get a stable connection to the machine with e.g. printrun/pronterface?

I've tried all four USB ports on my laptop and as well all two USB ports on my main pc. I've also tried three different USB cables.... all with the same "Timeout" error.

The UM2 has always printed from the SD card. I'm not using/never have used printrun/pronterface. What is printrun/pronterface and will it help?

I would call printrun a remote control for the printer: http://koti.kapsi.fi/~kliment/printrun/

It will not solve your problem but you will see if you can get a stable connection to the UM2 at all.

Ok, thanks Dim3nsioneer.

From device manager I see an Arduino Mega 2560 on COM4

9600 baud, N,8,1 no flow control. (These are the default settings assigned)

Can someone confirm these are the correct baud/parity/data bit settings which the UM2 expects to see?

Ok, after trying to update the default firmware one last time (using Cura 14.07 as before) it actually did it.

Why? I have no idea. What did I do differently? - I have no idea. It just "decided to work" :shock:

I'm now going to test the printer and see if it is working properly.....

EDIT.

Yup upgraded to 14.07 and now printing just fine. I would dearly like to know why update firmware was so very flaky. Was there an issue in 14.01.02 ?

I had a hell of a time getting my old laptop to connect to printers to update firmware. Sometimes it worked on the second try, sometimes on the tenth... When I manually changed the port in Machine -> Machine settings it always worked fine. I've only tried one machine on my new laptop and on that it worked first try without manually specifying a port. It seems a bit random.

I had a hell of a time getting my old laptop to connect to printers to update firmware. Sometimes it worked on the second try, sometimes on the tenth... When I manually changed the port in Machine -> Machine settings it always worked fine. I've only tried one machine on my new laptop and on that it worked first try without manually specifying a port. It seems a bit random.

Ah! Interesting..... I hadn't looked at those settings, the default for both on my machine was set to "Auto" - that's worth knowing about :cool: I'll try setting them manually next time. Thanks.

Having just upgraded to 14.09 I can confirm that setting the machine settings manually works flawlessly.

For me those settings were COM4 and 9600 baud.

The default "Auto" settings fail every time with the "timeout" error.