Ultimaker owners from Australia?

danzen

Posted · Ultimaker owners from Australia?

Hi,

I'm very interested in getting an Ultimaker, but I'm a bit put off by the fact that I may get charged import duty and tax for getting one sent to me In Australia.

I've done some research and it seems anything over AUD 1000 will incur these extra charges. After some rough calculations, it seems I'll have to fork out at least another AUD 300++ to clear customs.

The Ultimaker is dear enough as it is (but still awesome!) and I really don't want to pay anymore than I have to since I could use that money to buy more printing materials.

I'm desperately hoping that I had misunderstood something and that I don't actually have to pay all these additional costs. Can someone from Australia who owns an Ultimaker clarify this?

Thanks!

Yes, you'll have to pay the customs cost. No way around it. Unless the Ultimaker guys start setting components so that you can arrange to laser cut the body yourself. That *might* bring the cost down, but probably not enough.

I think import duty was around $250-300.

Basically it's shipped by DHL (or it was in my case), they do the customs paperwork for you, then give you a call when it arrives in Australia and customs payment is due.

You can pay via CC over the phone and it gets released that day (which means you'll probably be getting it the next day if you're in a capital city, not sure about regional areas).

Wow, I really didn't expect replies this quick. Thanks guys!

Guess I don't have any choice then. It's nice to know that DHL does all the paperwork though.

Maybe I'll wait a while more and see if the Ultimaker guys will start offering partial kits.

Even if they did offer the kit in two sub 1000 kits wouldn't you shipping twice? So pay an extra 200 in shipping on a pair of kits you hope they will offer, or, 250 for duties and get it the regular way, all in one box. Not a big difference to me.

You could try to build it yourself and source the parts but that is pretty difficult to do from scratch.

-b

Your are absolutely right.

But I was thinking of getting some sort of kit with all the electronics, motors, bearings, etc, and then I'll cut the frame myself.

Probably do a bit of customizing while I'm at it.

Though having said that, as of now I'm not entirely sure how much the cost saving is. This partial kit is currently non-existent hence I have no way of estimating the total cost.

I'm in no hurry but I have a feeling I'll probably just get the full kit in a few weeks time anyways.

Thanks for your input, appreciate it.

Maybe you can mail them to ask if they would sell you a kit without the lasercut parts and PLA. Which both are the largest bits in the kit. Removing those should save a lot on shipping, and might save enough to get below the 1000 AUD. But they are quite busy shipping full kits, so they might not do it.

Hello guys, I want to see if the ultimaker is capable of printing out a certain stl file.

Im located in NZ and will reimburse the person for the print and postage. Anyone keen to do this?

Hi Guys,

Thought I should add my experience importing the Ultimaker kit into Australia to this thread. (as of May 2012)

The Ultimaker kit attracted GST as expected. But there is also a 5% customs duty owing :x , so the total for GST, duty and "Aust. Govt. Charges" was $346.

I queried this and it looks like the customs ruling is that the 3d printer kits attract 5% duty at the moment.

The kit is well worth it, but I was surprised by the $80 of duty, and $55 govt. charges.

Anyway, happy 3d printing!

Hello guys, I want to see if the ultimaker is capable of printing out a certain stl file.

Im located in NZ and will reimburse the person for the print and postage. Anyone keen to do this?

Im in NZ also, if you like, you could email me the stl file and i can certainly see if it will be a posable print?

Hiya skippys!

This is a shoutout to any Ultimaker 2 owners in the Sydney region - I'm saving up to buy this amazing printer later in the year but am just testing the waters to see if there's anyone else out there around Sydney?? I'd love to learn more about the machine and your experiences with it

For the benefit of any Aussies planning on importing an Ultimaker 2, the current cost of import duty, taxes, and fees on the printer stands around AU$500. Probably a bit more actually, since my printer came through before the Australian dollar started it's recent nosedive (my fees came to AU$486 on 1 August 2014).

In any case, definitely budget for getting hit with some extra charges if you import the printer. Perhaps one day Ultimaker will set up Australian-based production and distribution facilities to help mitigate those extra fees, similar to what recently happened in the U.S.?

Good day fellow Aussies!

We're happy to inform you that Imaginables.com.au is the official Australian distributor of Ultimaker here down under. So you can check out our website at imaginables.com.au

Our ultimaker printer prices listed on the website includes taxes, gst, and 12 Months warranty.

As we currently operating from Victoria, We're also working to secure some local resellers at other respective states so you will be able to save on shipping cost. So please bear with us.

But for now, we can ship your Ultimaker printer anyway within Australia.

Hi guys. A2K Technologies are the largest Australian reseller of the Ultimaker with demo units in Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne. Please contact me if you are interested in buying an Australian delivered machine with a full 12 months parts warranty. jason.hampton-taylor@a2ktechnologies.com.au

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker owners from Australia?

I buy everything from imaginables.com.au. They usually ship anything to your door within 2 business days.

Edited by Guest