Cura infill pattern ;-)

xiaoshizi

Posted · Cura infill pattern ;-)

Hello Daid,

is there any change that a simple line drawing, bmp black line, can be added into the infill pattern?

So when you print in a semi transparent colour you can see a kind of drawing inside the print instead of only the square support inside.

Would be awsome for lamphousings ;-)

Greetings,

Xiao Shi Zi.

Sounds extremely complicated.

Better would be to model the pattern in CAD on the "inside" of the lamp housing. That would be very cool.

That reminds me of this print I did:

DSC 5273

And I guess the routine for the jpg-feature could be used for the generation of a custom infill pattern...

Sure. If it is to go on a flat rectangular surface. But someone mentioned a lamp shade. A bit more complicated. And the next person will want to put it on a iphone case with holes for camera and buttons. And then the next person...

It gets very complicated. This is really a feature for CAD software and some programs already do this.

gr5, do you know any opensource cad program abble to do that? Even with a .stl?

maybe Blender I guess

Maybe with lithopane

like this: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:74322

Or others on thingiverse

Thanks. Cura has this feature built in - you just load a jpeg file instead of a STL file.

well i didn't know that. :)

Saves me messing with the lithopane software

Only disadvantage with the JPG it doesn't recognize transparent layers. Always a rectangle of the size yo entered a JPG.

Maybe we'll need to check the underlaying code to enable that part ;-)

Greetz Xiao Shi Zi.

P.S. will check the litho ;-)

gr5, do you know any opensource cad program abble to do that? Even with a .stl?

maybe Blender I guess

I've heard people discuss this feature but I don't remember what cad it was. I think it was blender but I'm not positive. I do remember that there were 2 almost identical sounding features where one made it *look* like the surface had texture and the other actually changed the texture in the STL.

bitmap bumps

or

bitmap surface

or

bitmap texture

something like that?

Actually I know a package that does this but doesn't creat STL files: kerkythea. For example you can create a flat wall and add a photo of bricks - but even better you can add a bitmap file that says where the bricks stick out and where the mortar lines are and it 3 dimensionally modifies the wall so that lighting and shadows look perfect from any angle. In kerkythea you can say for example if black is "in" or "out" on the surface and by how much distance.

But kerkythea doesn't then convert this to STL - it only uses it internally for it's lighting engine.

thx.

Will investigate whats best for this infill thing.

Keep in touch.

Will test that out in a few weeks.

Openscad also has a simular bitmap feature.

Openscad also has a simular bitmap feature.

Indeed, it reminds me this

http://blog.cubehero.com/2013/11/11/how-to-generate-extruded-3d-model-from-images-in-openscad/

tutorial. Indeed a nice Opensource Possibility to try. Thx Zoev89.

Will check to use it in Freecad as there's an openscad module to and it's a gui instead of typing a lot.

Greetz Xiao Shi Zi.