Quick Question: Do I need to re-calibrate the bed after a firmware update?

gonazar

Posted · Quick Question: Do I need to re-calibrate the bed after a firmware update?

Topic says it all. Surprisingly I haven't found any previous info or threads on this. I'm not entirely sure but I imagine settings would have been overwritten with the firmware update.

Posted · Quick Question: Do I need to re-calibrate the bed after a firmware update?

Not sure about that Robert. I had a case where after a firmware update the leveling was quite off and upon homing the build plate crashed into the head (luckily nothing broke because the bed plate springs cushioned the impact).

Since my last update a few days ago, not exactly after the release anyway, I was surprised:

- No forced initial setup for material and bed-alignment more.

- Apparently preserving all previous settings.

- And a realignment was not necessary even on my machine.

But what Nico has reported, to me makes some concern. After the next firmware update I will first let the bed rise up via the system menu ...

Surely ... with one hand on the off switch ...

Markus

Not sure about that Robert. I had a case where after a firmware update the leveling was quite off and upon homing the build plate crashed into the head (luckily nothing broke because the bed plate springs cushioned the impact).

Hmm, ok, that's weird. It wasn't that long ago that I was tinkering around with the firmware and installing altered versions on my machine, when I was done playing around I just updated via cura to the latest official build and kept printing like normal.

That was possible with 1 update. However, the latest version checks if the bed-position is in a valid range, and if it's not it forces the bed leveling wizard.

Daid, what is saved and what is lost with a firmware upgrade? For example what about these?

- filament settings

- levelling position

- max speeds, accelerations

- steps/mm for each axis

These things are very likely:

Material profiles, retraction settings, LED brightness, lifetime stats

Markus

i can confirm that the acceleration/max speed-settings are preserved when i was upgrading from 14.03 to 14.07 as well as the customized material profiles