Cura new pause function smashes into other objects

43tesseracts

Posted · Cura new pause function smashes into other objects

I just tried to pause a print, which was part way through a second object. A the print head just smashed right through the first object to try to get to a corner.

That was unexpected. Maybe just have it go up? or make it more intelligent as to know what's on the bed, go around, go to a different corner, etc.

Afaik the pause function is firmware related and has little to do with the slicer. The firmware has no idea on what is on the buildplate and will take the most direct path to the front left corner and back to the resume point. Probably bad luck the other piece was in the way but I don't think a lot can be done about that.

It could just go up, then it would never hit anything.

Where can i set this Option/Position? Because when i use the pause function during printing on my um2 it sounds like the head moves over the endposiotion. you can hear a loud buzzing noise.

During a pause the head always parks at the front left. I think the idea behind it is twofold:

• Since something is probably wrong, you need to room on the buildplate to fix things.
    • It is quite possible that the nozzle oozes filament and you really don't want that dripping on top of your model.

So while the straight up is not a bad idea, IMO you will hardly encounter situations where this is handy.

Perhaps there should be 2 pauses:

• The regular one where it parks the head.
    • An "I'll be back later but just wait". Here the head could just go up and as a precaution the filament is retracted.

Might have to be careful with keeping the nozzle heated and so on.

I honestly don't think I'll ever use the 2nd on though.

The firmware could lower z and then go to front left corner. Same when un pausing (move to position, raise buildplate).

It does it already at the end of the print. It lowwer z a few cm then it go to back left.

It should raise the Z on pause... but only 20mm

if you use the pause at height plugin you can specify the coordinates where to park the head while paused

Didier but how does that help you mid print. ;) Pause at height being a plugin in Cura, I assume is only useable for planned pauses correct? Not for a damn, gotta go (insert here) for an hour or so, but am too chickened out to leave the printer running :D

Or "emergency need to unclog nozzle and continue" kind of pause. It's not good that it hits the other part on the bed.