What do I do if my Ultimaker 2 arrived with a broken screen?

jdsteven

Posted · What do I do if my Ultimaker 2 arrived with a broken screen?

I received delivery of an Ultimaker 2 earlier this week, but it was damaged in shipment. There is a large dent right where the LCD screen is and the screen is completely dead. I've tried contacting support but haven't heard back yet. Right now the Ultimaker is a paperweight. What can I do?

First take a photo of the box and the machine. I asked someone to contact you asap. Not sure if they will.

It is possbile to control the UM through USB. Its just not as nice as 'the real deal'

Man if I see all these damage pictures passing by I am so glad that mine arrived in one piece and okay. Can't UM wrap a bit more? Like add styrofoam corners and a bigger box?

I can imagine that the cost of sending replacement parts is a lot higher than the value of the stock of remaining boxes?

That depends really. In most cases you see the failed stuff pop up on the forums. It might seem like a lot, but not if you hold it against the numerous times that it succeeded (and nothing is posted).

Man if I see all these damage pictures passing by I am so glad that mine arrived in one piece and okay. Can't UM wrap a bit more? Like add styrofoam corners and a bigger box?

I can imagine that the cost of sending replacement parts is a lot higher than the value of the stock of remaining boxes?

Most (if not all) of the damages that you see are from shipping over-seas. I know the shipping department is looking into improving the packaging. And, I've heard sounds about producing in the US as well. Which would solve some of the shipping issues.

And, in the far future, we'll most likely move away from DiBond, as this is a major factor in the damage. It scratches and bends too easy.

But as Nallath also pointed out, the amount of damaged machines you see here is only a small fraction of what gets shipped. (luckly) So no big surprise that yours wasn't damaged.

Well I guess you guys have the numbers and it is up to you to decide, I was just thinking out loud :)

If the cases are so low and the replacement parts are shipped quickly enough it should be fine indeed.

I've been evaluating printers for over 2 years before I decided to purchase the UM2.

I can't imagine how I would feel if - after such a long wait - a printer would arrive that doesn't work because of shipping damage. Would probably track down the delivery guy and mess him up ;)

A bit more packaging directly around the electronics would certainly help. From what I can see it's pretty unprotected in exactly the worst spot. (the only open vertical side, directly in the center, and all interior crush protection is at the corners).

It's definitely the shipping carrier's fault, but maybe the reason you see so much of this in the forums is that people are frustrated when they get no response to their support tickets?

but maybe the reason you see so much of this in the forums is that people are frustrated when they get no response to their support tickets?

I've never seen this particular issue. And you are all set, right? Illuminarti contacted you.

I've never seen this particular issue. And you are all set, right? Illuminarti contacted you.

Yes, Illuminarti is in the process of taking care of it, and he's been awesome.