Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
johnson

wall is too thick

Hello together,

i'm new to Cura and fascinated of the great print quality. Since i got problems with sclic3r, because of a faulty g-code (shifting), i tried slicing with cura.

My first part was almost perfect, but then I noticed a problem with my wall thickness.

should: 2,0 mm is: 3,2 mm

I read a lot about setting up the correct wall thickness (in my case, the nozzle diameter is set to 0.4 and the wall thickness is set to 0,5). But the problem still exists. I got just 1 inner, and 1 outer layer of the wall. The lines are just connected with poor infill (set to 20%). I'm using the newest version of cura with a solidoodle printer.

Has anyone the same problem and a solution?

Many thanks in advance!

Hi Johnson

Welcome to the Ultimaker forum!

The wall thickness in Cura should always by a multiple of the nozzle size. So setting the nozzle size to 0.4mm and the wall thickness to 2.0mm should indeed result in two two-shell walls connected with some infill. And it doesn't?

Is the wall straight or do you have some curvature?

Maybe you could post a snapshot of the Cura layer view?

Hello,

thanks for your reply. I forgot to say that my print is rotated at 45° on the bed. So could this be the failure? If i don't rotate my print, everything works still fine. The wall ist straight. There are no curves.

So i think this is a cura slicing problem?

Like Dim3nsioneer says you should set your shell thickness to a multiple of your nozzle size. With a setting of 0.4mm nozzle and 0.5mm shell cura will create the thicker wall by slightly over extruding. So it can be done but generally it's better to keep to multiples if possible.

I don't understand how your wall thickness becomes different depending on rotation. I think we need to see some pictures to understand what's going on. Well, at least I do, because I don't quite understand. What does the part look like and along which axis are you rotating?

Here's how to upload images: http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/4525-how-to-upload-an-image-to-the-forum/

If a part has curved walls numerical uncertainties get a higher impact on the slice quality. At least this is my personal experience with Cura. Since the slicing senstivity has been increased in version 14.03 I have the impression this is also the case for rotated objects.

Please follow your topic using the top right button.

You could be printing at too high temp or with the fans off making the filament spread a bit more. It shoulnd add 1.2 mm though.

pictures are the key :)