Cura time is not accurate

elad

Posted · Cura time is not accurate

Go with the prediction from cura. The time shown on the printer isn't very accurate (it becomes more accurate the closer to the end of the print you get though).

Except for about the last minute of the print where the UM2 shows something like 6 hours...

• 8 months later...
    Posted (edited) · Cura time is not accurate

Hello,

I'm new in the forum and I chose to continue this topic instead of starting a new one (the most recent one I could find on the printing time estimation topic). However if that is not the best way just tell me and I will start a new one.

We have very recently acquired an Ultimaker 2 and I still don't have any experience with G code or with Cura plugins.

Right now I started to print the biggest piece we have tried so far and the time estimation of Cura with the printer visor is quite off. Using the quick settings from Cura it estimated 8h for printing but now has been on for over 2h and the visor shows 30h left; it started with 8h and slowly increased to 30h. After reading posts on the subject I still don't know what is the issue with the print. It doesn't have many curves, I have never used a plugin with Cura or have used the previews versions of Cura. I know the acceleration is not taken under consideration and that leads to error but is it possible that it would increase the printing time in almost 300%?

The printer head keeps oscillating speed, sometimes very slow (much slower than the preview times I used the printer) and for some short time the speed gets back to what it was during the first prints.

Best regards

Edited by Guest

Print time estimations are hard. Sometimes you get them quite spot on, sometimes they are completely off. A reliable way for us to improve these times would be to add a lot more logging to the machine, but this creates a whole range of new issues (privacy, security, etc)

• Like 1

Cura is pretty accurate on time, the display can show some big changes in time because the first layers are printed slower (due to cura settings). The time will most probably start decreasing after the first couple of layers.

Or did you change the speed on the machine?

• Like 1

Cura is pretty accurate on time, the display can show some big changes in time because the first layers are printed slower (due to cura settings). The time will most probably start decreasing after the first couple of layers.

Or did you change the speed on the machine?

thank you for the fast reply

So far I have just observed. It has been printing for over 4 hours now and it is still going pretty slow. The prediction has decrease in fact, but from 30 to 27. And the loading bar is about 20% now.

Is it that the printer will predict the time based solely on the code that is currently being printed? It doesn't consider the settings for future layers?

Should I change the speed settings? what is the safe margin to change the speed? I surely can't wait for 27h hehehe.

The estimate on the display is utterly useless, IMHO. Its not that it is off by a few %, it is often off by factors. If you happen to have the "tune" menu open for a while it gets even more confused. I had <1h prints that were estimated to take days.

This does not effect the actual printing time, its just that the displayed number is a joke. Go by cura's estimate, which is quite accurate.

@ultimaker:

How about this idea: Have cura put the reminding time into the g-code at regular intervals, like once every minute. The firmware could read it out and just count-down from there, no need for firmware-side estimation at all.

• Like 1

@ultimaker:

How about this idea: Have cura put the reminding time into the g-code at regular intervals, like once every minute. The firmware could read it out and just count-down from there, no need for firmware-side estimation at all.

Hmm good point. We could always use the print time of the machine as a fallback.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Cura time is not accurate

The estimate on the display is utterly useless, IMHO.

Yes I got to the same conclusion. It took 9h in the end, which was about an hour longer.

That just makes me think that showing the time on the visor makes no difference.

I will believe Cura estimation next time!

Thanks for all the help people :)

Edited by Guest

I am having trouble with the cura software on larger objects 3" x 3" x 10" at 75% fill. The layers are not displayed correctly either, it seems to be missing several layers in between. Is there a temporary memory that needs to be cleared up? Also the software shows the printing time as 1 minute.

Thanks for your feedback.