Layers shifting

theor

Posted · Layers shifting

- I tightened the pulleys and checked all the belts (added marks on the pulleys and axes to confirm they don't move).

- Tried different versions of the firmware.

Do you guys got any idea what else I can try?

Posted · Layers shifting

Hi Theor,

This is what i read from the excellent troubleshoot guide: http://support.3dverkstan.se/article/23-a-visual-ultimaker-troubleshooting-guide#shifted

Shifted layers:

If the printer suddenly shifts the layers it is most likely that one or more pulleys are not secured properly to the axis/axes. To confirm that this is the case you can use a black marker and put marks on the pulleys and a matching mark on the axes. After printing a test print and seeing a layer shift you can then inspect your marks and see which pulley(s) have moved. It is likely that the pulley(s) that need tightening are those connected to the short belts. Tighten the set screws that hold the pulleys in place very tightly, probably a bit tighter than you expect. The small allen key that came with your printer will flex as you tighten the screws.

file-HIpXQQRZe7.jpg

It could also be that the part you are printing detached from the platform during the print. This should be fairly easy to see as the part will have shifted position from where it was originally.

In rare cases there could be an issue with end stops triggering unexpectedly due to cross talk between wires. Re-routing the cables can help with this. But again, this is a very rare occurrence.

Could it be the last possibility as you seem to have figured out that the belts are ok

Posted · Layers shifting

Hello Theo,

There are 2 more things that can cause the problem:

1. the short belts are not tight enough, make sure the X and Y motor belts are tight, you may also check the pulley's attached on the motor shafts;

2. Looking at the image I see that the print is shifting on both the X and Y axis, are the X and Y axis square to each other?

Can you move the print head around it's axis when the printer is powered off and if so, is it hard to move the head around?

Posted · Layers shifting

Hello guys,

Thanks for the answers!

Hello Theo,

There are 2 more things that can cause the problem:

1. the short belts are not tight enough, make sure the X and Y motor belts are tight, you may also check the pulley's attached on the motor shafts;

2. Looking at the image I see that the print is shifting on both the X and Y axis, are the X and Y axis square to each other?

Can you move the print head around it's axis when the printer is powered off and if so, is it hard to move the head around?

The short belts are tight and pulleys on the motor shafts are tight aswell. I have put a mark on those pulleys/shafts aswell so i can see it when they have moved.

The X and Y axis are square to each other. I can move the head by hand when powered off without too much resistance. I did lubcriate the axis a bit with some sewing machine oil, but that didn't make any difference.

I will try Didier's solution to re-route the wires from the end stops to prevent an cross-talk.

Posted · Layers shifting

Electronics cooling?? There is no active cooling on the electronics of the um2...

Posted · Layers shifting
    Electronics cooling?? There is no active cooling on the electronics of the um2...

I did not know that, I have an UM1, disregard previous comment

Posted · Layers shifting

Sorry for the late response, but the problem is solved now. The electronics were damaged which caused some interference. We replaced the motherboard, and we are printing without problems now.

IMG 2429

Posted · Layers shifting

I had had a similar problem.

Mechanics was ok, problem was electronic overheating. I fixed it by air cooling (with 2 small fans) the electronic board with a separate power supply.

Posted · Layers shifting

Another issue that we've recently found out about is overheating of the stepper drivers due to an error in a revision of the board. Long story short, try lowering the current to the motors via Maintenance -> Advanced -> Motion settings -> Current X-Y. Default is 1300mA, try 1200mA.

Posted · Layers shifting

Another issue that we've recently found out about is overheating of the stepper drivers due to an error in a revision of the board. Long story short, try lowering the current to the motors via Maintenance -> Advanced -> Motion settings -> Current X-Y. Default is 1300mA, try 1200mA.

Hi IRobertI

Can I lower this value on the two x and y steppers of my UM2?