UMO layer shift - SOLVED

ltc

Posted · UMO layer shift - SOLVED

I just finish assembling of a new UMO. But I don't know why the layer printing goes wrong.

Here is the normal print by my UM2 and another one is the irregular model.

layer shift

Is it XY axis error? How to calibrate it?

Thank you for the help. It is really useful. I try to make the pulleys screws tightened and the results got improved. But I still have other print issues. I think it should be a new post.

Hello guys, i have a similar problem, my pulleys are tight and my belts are free running. The printer print the first layer good, but whene comes the 2nd layer the extruder start going around and print layers all over the platform, i'm losing hope, i tried to change firmware (via Cura), i tried various models, i tried various slicers, but there is always this problem, what else can i do?

It's not software. It's hardware. You say your pulleys are tight but you need to tighten the hell out of the setscrews. Also most people tighten only 8 pulleys but there are 12. 6 on each axis. Usually it's the 2 hardest to get to: the ones on the motor and the other one on the short belt.

Is it moving "all over the platform" in X and Y or only in one direction? A picture would be nice.

See 9th and 10th photos here (pink part and leaning robot):

http://support.3dverkstan.se/article/23-a-visual-ultimaker-troubleshooting-guide

Today I Tried to tight the most of the pulleys helping me with forceps , but the problem is still there , but I noticed one thing , a when the print head moves from right to left or vice versa, it hangs for a few tenths of a second to then move again , However this is a picture of what happens , This should have been a cube :

25iw0h3.jpg

do not forget to fix the pulley of the short belt and to fix the stepper

Done, i also tried to put washers on the speacers between the motor to avoid the belt rubbing against the frame, but there is nothing to do, it keeps shifting, I do not know what to d, I sent a ticket November 2 but no reply so far, before i trash this printer, there is something that i can do to open and RMA and have my money back?

The UMO should have come with a tiny bag of silver set screws. The pulleys come with black set screws which aren't quite as good. Although I still use the black ones, the silver ones have a pointier tip.

Tighten the hell out of those set screws. The hex tool should bend/twist quite a bit.

There is a very small possibility that the X servo driver is adjusted wrong. You can cut power and swap the X and Y servo drivers and if this is the problem then it will move to the other axis.

Thank you guys i really appreciate your help, however, even changing the servo drivers the problem is on the X axis, to help me showing you better my problem i posted a video of what happens here

it is 99% a set screw like gr5 and Zungura are saying.

Take a sharpie pen and make a little mark over the pulley and the rod that its attached to. Move the printhead by hand in the x direction and look closely which pulleys are moving, also the one on the motor!

Problem Solved in the easyest way, good bye ultimaker.

It's a pulley. It's very easy to prove it. It's very easy to fix it.

Mark all 6 pulleys on the X axis (X axis only - yes there are six pulleys) with a pen like peggy says. Mark both the shaft and the pulley. One of the 6 is slipping. Most likely the one on the motor or the one above.

It's a little frustrating because I feel like you have a flashlight and want to throw it away just because you put one of the batteries in backwards.

gr5, do you hear that "tack tack" noise sometimes? i found that the motor stops, looks like there is something that prevents him from moving, but the belt is not rubbing against the frame, what can it be?

All the noises sound normal. The most unusual, or the loudest noise is the Z drive. Everything stops while the Z moves. Is that what you mean? That's normal also.

Maybe there is another sound that I didn't notice. I listened to the video 3 times. Maybe say how many seconds into the video you hear the sound?

Did you mark all 6 X-axis pulleys and rods with a permanent marker yet?

With power off it's safe to push the head around. Push it back and forth in X and Y and see if something feels wrong or looks wrong. I suspect it will be fine.

before trow it in the trash I Tried a last Desperate Attempt, i totally disassembled it, except for the frame, assembled one more time...and now is finally working good!!! I'm so happy, thank you gr5 for the help that you gave me