State of Ultimaker Original ( UMO ) heated beds?

Posted · State of Ultimaker Original ( UMO ) heated beds?

That sounds good to me as well, but I am biased. It's been four weeks since I ordered and paid, four days since I filed a sales support ticket, and not one word, not even to say that they are looking into it. If there is no word by Monday, I'll cancel the order and dispute the CC charge (it is due), and just get it from MakerShed. That would be a pity, because CC companies ding vendors for disputed charges.

You could try sending a PM to one of the UM employees on the forums. That sometimes seems to be the fastest response. gr5 told me who to get in contact with for my issue a year ago. Might be different for you, cause it is a different problem.

I would still aim to cancel and order through MakerShed. Domestic shipping is just so much faster.

Domestic shipping is just so much faster.

You would think but I got my UM2 in 3 days. They shipped on a Friday and delivered on a Monday. On Sunday alone that thing made huge progress. As far as I can tell DHL works just as hard on Sundays as on Mondays.

That sounds good to me as well, but I am biased. It's been four weeks since I ordered and paid, four days since I filed a sales support ticket, and not one word, not even to say that they are looking into it. If there is no word by Monday, I'll cancel the order and dispute the CC charge (it is due), and just get it from MakerShed. That would be a pity, because CC companies ding vendors for disputed charges.

Hi Jeff,

can you send me your ordernumber so I can look into it?

The heated bed are currently not in stock but should be restocked again soon.

Let me know and i will try to give you an ETA!

Our apologies for the inconvenience,

Hi Jeff,

can you send me your ordernumber so I can look into it?

The heated bed are currently not in stock but should be restocked again soon.

Let me know and i will try to give you an ETA!

Our apologies for the inconvenience,

Thank you. I sent you the info in a PM.

Looking at the directions, it looks like the left side of the guard is supposed to have a bit that sticks up to hit the Z end stop, but neither of the sides in my kit has the part that sticks up.

I would also like to know if there is a difference between the UMO+ firmware and UMO with Extruder upgrade and HBK.

HBK Review:

Flipping Awesome. Even ignoring the whole heat thing, this bed is a massive improvement over the original. It is about a billion times easier to properly level and it is equally more stable. I would be very hard pressed to say whether the HBK or ditching the short belts for direct drive made a bigger difference in my print quality. I would very highly recommend both. The only caveat might be some cheaper alternatives to improving printer bed stability, though I imagine they are a lot more effort.

It would however seem to me that the rigidity could be increased and weight decreased by using a lighter gauge of bent metal for the support structure.

BTW, what is that extra screw hole on a tab on the backside of the heavy sheet metal is for?

Does the rear wooden guard perform a function or is it just decorative?

I have been told it is purely decorative, except that it pushes the z-axis endstop. You can print a ring to replace that functionality though, so living without the wooden part is very possible.

I asked the same thing, because I will probably not install it.

BTW, what is that extra screw hole on a tab on the backside of the heavy sheet metal is for?

The HBK is a worthy upgrade. Stays leveled for days and days.

Anyhoo, I believe I read somewhere that the ALU plate comes directly from the UM2 and the tab and threaded hole on the back are used only on the UM2.

Yup. We retrofitted the beds of the um2 to the umo (plus).

UMO+ and UMO with HBK have many differences. UMO+ has a *metal* fan shroud. UMO+ has a white UM2 circuit board. The white circuit board means it uses a PT100 thermistor instead of a thermocouple in the nozzle block. UMO+ power supply probably can't support dual head! Other minor differences.

But for most practical purposes they are the same.