Problems with Extruder when changing filament

kepolas

Posted · Problems with Extruder when changing filament

Hello everyone. This is my first post but I read this forum quite a lot. I would like to say that I enjoy my time reading this forum and it was very helpful so far. So just props to all of you members for doing such a great job.

Now i have a problem and a question (I apologize if its answered already somewhere else, at this time i couldn't find the topic), why this in the video happens to my extruder..? Every time i try to load or remove filament it stops rotating little after the middle of the process. Its not such a problem when i load the filament since it continues to load it up slowly, but its a bigger problem when i want to remove the filament since then i have to do it manually.

Everything else so far seems to be ok with the extrusion when printing.

Any help would be much appreciated.

It could be either that the grub screw securing the knurled mantle is loose and the motor shaft turns freely for a while. Or your bowden tube is too narrow so it can't pull the filament correctly. Or maybe the tip of the filament did form a buldge that barely fits through the bowden.

More like the first part of what you said. I tried to do the change filament but without filament actually inside the printer and it still does the same thing.

@rigs

hmm, could it be the fimware problem? It did actually start when i installed Cura 15.01-RC5 and the fimware that came with it. Then i reset UM2 to default and installed Cura 14.12.1 but the problem still persists. (excuse my noobism im still quite new with this...learning as i go)

It could be either that the grub screw securing the knurled mantle is loose and the motor shaft turns freely for a while.

That cannot happen because the shaft is not round. If the screw was loose the nut would fall out of the shaft.

Damaged bowden or too big filament (damaged, grinded, flatten or irregular size)

@rigs

hmm, could it be the fimware problem?

Yep (probably). rigs has explored this issue recently.

You have to downgrade the firmware (if i recognize your post correctly - you don't have done this yet?).

A factory reset is not sufficient.

Just use the Cura V14.12.1 and select "Machine -> Install default firmware..." from the menu.

And afterwards - make a new video.. ;)

Ok, will try this too, i hope it works. Thank you! :)

I follow most threads as a good way to learn, and I seem to have an older version of Cura....

TinkerGnome mentions above that Cura is now at 14.12.1. My Cura is 14.09. When I click on the Help / Check for update... button it tells me I have the latest version ? How can I get the 14.12.1 version?

This is on my computer. No idea what the version in the UM2 is, but I have always connected and updated the printer when told to.

Thanks.

Yep (probably). rigs has explored this issue recently.

You have to downgrade the firmware (if i recognize your post correctly - you don't have done this yet?).

A factory reset is not sufficient.

Just use the Cura V14.12.1 and select "Machine -> Install default firmware..." from the menu.

And afterwards - make a new video.. ;)

That was the solution. I have no more problems after installing default fimware.

Thank you! :)

Many thanks Rigs.

Got it sorted now. Will know where to look next time....

That cannot happen because the shaft is not round. If the screw was loose the nut would fall out of the shaft.

That depends on the age of your printer. The early ones have a round shaft (mine included).