Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
lance-greene

printing a filament oiling mechanism

so if i take a little filament filter like https://www.youmagine.com/designs/dust-filter

and drill a little hole in it so i can put a couple drops of lube into it so it slowly lubes the filament, is it possible to get this put somewhere after the filament has gone through the feeder? has someone already modded a feeder to support this idea? im mostly just concerned with this for things like ninjaflex, but also curious what other filament types might benefit from this?

... true, except for flexible filaments like ninjaflex... there is as far as I know from several posts a little oil necessary to reduce the friction in the tube.

Nevertheless, I´m a bit too scared to drill a hole into my bowden to give the thing I refered in my previouse post a try...

For printing Flex filament I use Glycerol (glycerine),a key-component for making DIY-PLA, so it should not hurt the PLA.

Use a paintbrush to apply a little bit before the feeder, the Knurled bolt will 'bite' trough the oil film.

My UM org. feeder is not as delicate as a UM2 feeder :cool:, for UM2's Drayson's coupler with a hole could be a opion.

I used shredder machine oil on exactly that feeder on my UMO to help ninjaflex. Lightly oil the sponge - no issues and it helped (IMO) the ninjaflex.

On the UMO I also added a small spacer in the feeder just above the knurl on the bit that swings out (just to stop kinking)

I also replaced the delrin bearing with a bearing that slides over the original bearing - my delrin did not really rotate freely.

To make it easier I then used a .65mm nozzle

It is slow but I can get usable ninjaflex parts no problem.