Difference (Technical) between UM2 and coming Go / Extended

kroete

Posted · Difference (Technical) between UM2 and coming Go / Extended

Hi All,

I am interested to buy a 3D printer and really like to go for the current UM2. My question, will there be a technical difference between the current UM2 and the coming Go / Extension ?

I there will be an upgrade to the UM2 once Go and Extension are released than I will wait with my purchase.

Also, is there a major upgrade planned this year (e.g UM3) ?

Thank you,

Tarek

Hi Kroete

Welcome to the UM forum.

The GO has no heated bed.

Due to the CE conformity there will most probably no upgrade for any printer of the UM2 family.

And only UM knows (maybe) the answer to your last question. But they wont tell. ;)

Hi Dim3nsioneer,

Thank you for you prompt response. So beside the heated bed missing on the go the only technical difference to the current UM2 is the build size.

I did not expect to get an answer on my UM3 question but no harm in asking :-)

Thank you again. :-)

Yes, the new printers are a different size (obviously) so use different size panels, rods, belts and wires. And the Go lacks the heated bed. But all other components, including the printhead and hot end, feeder and electronics are identical.

People from Ultimaker are actually saying there "maybe" upgrades to the Ultimaker 2. There is no indication of what this maybe, when or if any are going to be released. Only that there will be no dual extrusion.

I am looking with interest at the extended. I am particularly interested in the increment in the Z axis.

However I am really worried about the underextrusion issues of the UM2. Will these be fixed/addressed in the new UM2 models? Or will those be the very same, with the teflon connector issues, the "fake" double holes extruder alluminum support piece (and consequent non optimal usage of the fans airflows) etc?

Can we expect to see at least the release of a single extruder optimized hot end upgrade for the current UM2, that would fix the above mentioned issues?

Will I be able to change nozzle size easily?

I really love my UM2, however it has known issues that I would love to see addressed "officially", before I buy another one.

I think as it stands now they will be exactly the same with no improvement. There is a lot involved if they make changes as all the plastic bits are injection molded.

There is some discussion here about possible changes in that regard but I wouldn't hold my breath over it.

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/9344-company-update/?p=90875

Also if you are interested in changing nozzle sizes easily then this topic maybe of interest to you.

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/7689-custom-heater-block-to-fit-e3d-nozzle-on-ultimaker-2/?p=71735

Hello, sure, I am on the waiting list to get one from the next batch :)

However honestly I would not buy an "Extended" if there were no improvements at all with the Hot End. Then I would wait to see what the UM3 line will have to offer. We shall wait and see I guess.

Also if you are interested in changing nozzle sizes easily then this topic maybe of interest to you.

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/7689-custom-heater-block-to-fit-e3d-nozzle-on-ultimaker-2/?p=71735

Yes there was a bit of disappointment when I saw it was all exactly the same.

I just hope the UM3 doesn't come out with a single extruder and a promise of a dual upgrade

print head is exactly the same.

The um2 go has a smaller spool holder (only holds one spool of filament) and so needs less space behind it. I expect the other models will start getting this smaller spool holder when they run out of the "long" one that holds two spools.