How to get rid of these lines...

macua85

Posted · How to get rid of these lines...

Hey guys,

Is there any way to improve this print? I'm getting these strange lines.

Print settings 220 degrees, ultimaker PLA, 0.2 layers, 60mm/s

Thanks for any help you can offer.

gallery_36287_1583_846912.jpg

gallery_36287_1583_230015.jpg

The horizontal lines aren't due to the 0.2 print layer setting, as these lines appear every few layers. I was wondering if anything mechanical can cause this? Head moves freely, think pulleys are tight. Its not random either, strange. Can try at 0.1, but will be different model as I don't need to print this one again!

Any more ideas?

Also, I find i get neater results at higher PLA temp rather than lower, whats the science behind lower temps?

Thanks for the help

Try the quickprint settings with the latest Cura they give great results in terms on outer quality

(outershell speed is reduced to give a better quality) by the way you dont mention the shell thickness which might be a relevant parameter for this.

Hi,

Will give that a go thanks. The outer shell is set at 0.4, as the total thickness of the thin part is 0.8.

it can be unconsistant extrusion, temperature changes, z wobble or inconsistant filament diameter.. also it can change much by having a fan on 100% or none

i am actually making a longer test to minimize the lines with a little calibration cylinder i made myself

i will post the results in this thread probably next week..

The horizontal lines aren't due to the 0.2 print layer setting, as these lines appear every few layers. I was wondering if anything mechanical can cause this? Head moves freely, think pulleys are tight. Its not random either, strange. Can try at 0.1, but will be different model as I don't need to print this one again!

Any more ideas?

Also, I find i get neater results at higher PLA temp rather than lower, whats the science behind lower temps?

Thanks for the help

Speed and temp is related - if you print to hot for you actual speed it will melt ugly and if you print to cold it starts extruding less than it should

but because the movement can generate shaking, slower is often the key with lower temps and it also helps eliminate stringing and oozing

make a factory reset (Maintenance, Advanced, )

use a pre-set quality setting.

Print pla at 220 / 50

Try again

@ swordriff

i just tested a few settings and with 0.15 layer i got the most unbeatable result till now with 210 / 50

gallery_36594_1783_61383.jpg

gallery_36594_1783_351699.jpg

• Like 1

Macua,

We are looking at the exact same issue on the horizontal lines on another thread too.

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/6907-horizontal-banding-on-um2/page-4

A good portion of this topic is not so related but the fact that this is very constant match with later reported issue.

For the vertical lines you are seeing the result of the x&y axis precision. We have discussed that here:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/7966-vertical-lines-striations-on-fairphone-case/

Turning the piece sideways to use more of the two axis on an almost planar surface result in reduced effect of the precision.

nice chart. I like the fact that no fan result in a way more constant surface

you can see the no fans effect very good with 14 and 15 it's just the fan thats different

Without the fan perhaps the plastic is allowed to "settle" more...

Without the fan perhaps the plastic is allowed to "settle" more...

i tought more the temperature regulation would fluctuate more with fans as they blow around the heaterblock but maybe i'm thinking it wrong^^

you could probably see other results with an enclosed print space.

has someone experience in improving prints with enclosure using PLA??

I have to run some tests on that side but I only have a front panel. I just need some free print time which is rare these days...

or you (or someone else) guide me to an existing easy opensource kind of enclosure i could install?

Thank you :) i will look for a plexi glass plate and test again with some values..

And depending on the results i probably install a full enclosure to install but i'm still not sure if it's a problem with the heat of the stepper motors..

Thank you :) i will look for a plexi glass plate and test again with some values..

And depending on the results i probably install a full enclosure to install but i'm still not sure if it's a problem with the heat of the stepper motors..

Just to give you an idea: I have my UMO in a full enclosure > http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/9457-umo-enclosure/

The ambient temp inside is about 45C when printing, and this is without a fan to let the hot air out. So i'm wouldn't be too worried about the stepper motors.