UM2 makes rattling sound when moving on X axis

Posted · UM2 makes rattling sound when moving on X axis

My Ultimaker 2 makes a rattling sound when moving on the X axis. The rattle does not seem to influence the print, so I guess it's not the belts. I've included a video depicting the X axis stepper motor and belts, in the background, the sound can be heard clearly.

Please help me solve this issue. Right now it's just annoying, but I'd rather fix it before something gets broken or damaged.

IMG 1111 2

Thanks,

Martin

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/3543-lubricating-the-axis/

Lets hear how it went!

Use thin "machine oil" if you do not have what I recommend...

Do NOT USE WD-40 or something similar. It is aggressive and

turns into WAX with time.

Edit: I have had this strange noise, and went away with lubricating the axis, using

Q tips. It prevents an oscillation between the axis and the rod-glide assembly

I don't know - how would one check?

Possible to unhook belt and try turning the rod by hand? Feel the ripple?

Hello!

I also have a noise when the Y-Axis moves. Reducing the current to 850mA temporarily fixed that for me (Y-Motor also was getting very hot after 30 min of printing).

Tom

Martins video sounds like the sound I'd imagine belts rubbing or creaking might make, could they be rubbing against the pulley sides? Any rubbery dust on top of the steppers?

Just some wild thoughts... :-) but the force from the filament being pressed into the hot end will be resisted by the linear bearings and then transferred into the phosphor bronze types. Is that force a considerable one or negligible ?

With all the rotations and slides the phosphor bronze bearings have to cope with, I'd want them well lubricated... more so than the recommended "just one drop of oil" I've seen some pics of owners UM's, where that part of the steel rod where the phosphor bronze spends most of its time (generally around the middle of the rod) has got a dirty black rubbed look about it. Hmmm....

I read somewhere linear bearings can be quite noisy, I found this youtube vid - linear bearing noise by itself, 0:30 onwards.

"Cheap linear bearings" clicking - weird...

Either way they're certainly a source of noise, perhaps depending on what you're printing and how fast?

I have an issue that sounds from description the same, but if there was a video on this post I can't see it anymore.

This is how mine sounds:

https://goo.gl/photos/XmYS3Nz3KCPy3dbw9

It has been getting much worse just recently.

I oil the rods fairly regularly and oiled them last night again but it made no difference. I am using a tiny amount of oil applied directly though; I imagine the sintered bushing will spread it around, but then again, they may also be absorbing some and I just need to apply more.

I've read swordriff's thread on lubricating and might revisit that tonight, maybe do a better job of spreading it around.

Will report back later unless anyone has anything to add.

OK so I lubricated a little more liberally last night (try saying that quickly 5 times) and it seemed to make no difference.

I am using wahl brand oil intended for hair/beard clippers which is a clear thin oil, but I have just ordered some Singer sewing machine oil in case there is a difference.

Maybe worth buying new bushing? Is the noise in my video in my previous post the same as others have heard and described?

Thanks,

Greg

Ulimaker GB support asked me to move the head by hand and confirm that the noise is there when being moved manually as well as being driven by the motors. I confirmed that to be the case.

@eldrick you said that yours was not a lubrication issue, were you able to resolve your issue since then?

I managed to reduce this noise considerably by loosening the pulleys at the rear right of the machine, and then re-tightenging them after making sure that the belts were not riding and that the 6mm cross-rods were true & perpendicular. so I think that any slight mis-alignment sets up forces which resonate and this is probably be exaggerated if the rods need lubrication which is why that solution worked for some people.

I'm having a very similar issue but the creaking sound appears to be coming from the stepper on the left side which controls movement on the Y axis. Over all my U2 is printing well but considerably much louder than it has ever been and It sounds like a creaking floorboard in an old house. I'm concerned this will lead to serious problem later.

someone recently posted a topic about what kind of general maintenance is needed on these machines. The response given was that oil on the rods and grease on the z screw was all that is really ever needed but for those of us with older machines can anyone recommend a deeper dive into maintenance and refurbishing? I don't mind replacing any parts if needed.

I'm having a very similar issue but the creaking sound appears to be coming from the stepper on the left side which controls movement on the Y axis.  Over all my U2 is printing well but considerably much louder than it has ever been and It sounds like a creaking floorboard in an old house. I'm concerned this will lead to serious problem later.  

someone recently posted a topic about what kind of general maintenance is needed on these machines. The response given was that oil on the rods and grease on the z screw was all that is really ever needed but for those of us with older machines can anyone recommend a deeper dive into maintenance and refurbishing?  I don't mind replacing any parts if needed.

How many print hours are on the machine? I think general belt replacement recommendation is around 3000-4000 hours.

Is the printhead hard to move by hand on that axis?

Are all the fan shroud screws still tight, and the side part of the fan bracket not touching the central part of the printhead at the bottom? If it's crunched in a little, it can rattle.