Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
bob-hepple

incorporating your own Supports In your Design

Question to the community

I have been Drawing up a "Lock Nut" thats what I call it. in the middle there is a cut out for a hex Nut.

I wanted to print this out and because there is a overhang decided to try and make my own supports. They are offset from the face by 0.01 they are 0.40 wide 4.5mm high by 18mm long

I expect the crucial bits 's are the offset from face which is 0.01

and the width which is 0.40

see below in blue

Supports

I started this as a learning curve for 3D Printing and CAD

Advise appreciated

That should work. However I don't think there needs to be that much fill in the support piece. You should be fine with about 50% less.

Here's a link to some help about designing for 3d printing, where you can find out more about making supports, made by IRobertI:

http://support.3dverkstan.se/article/38-designing-for-3d-printing

Honestly if the height is 4.5mm then it mean the width of the bridge section is what, 10mm wide? If you print cold and slow I think you would not even need supports except for the round perimeter. As mentioned above, look at the posted link.

http://support.3dverkstan.se/article/38-designing-for-3d-printing#custom-supports

0.01mm is too small of a distance. It will connect with the border. 0.4mm wide lines are too thin. Even if the print head is 0.4mm wide it need to be able to pass twice (assuming you are using Cura) on those sections unfortunately so try with 0.45mm.

You can easily see what the results will be in Cura. Load the object, let it slice, go in layer view and validate your tests.

Thanks for the advise

I will increase the gap from ).01 to 0.02 and increase 0.4 to 0.5 and reduce the amount I have in by 50%.

pm_dude the reason for the supports is I can see a problem inserting the Nut if any of it sags so as a a Test/Learning point thought of adding supports..

I am not using Cura

Thanks for all the advise..

Personally I'd go with Amedee on this one, pause the print at the appropriate height and insert the nut. That's the easiest and cleanest option.

If that's not an option I would put a semi circle supporting the outer circle and let the printer bridge the rest. Leave a small gap on either side of the hole (maybe 1mm or so) to give you something to grab. This will create a support wall that you can easily pull out in one piece.

I usually use a distance of 0.15-0.2mm for supports and make the walls 0.5mm thick.