Best print exhibition.

craftee

Posted · Best print exhibition.

I'm curious how well the UM2 can print.

Post photographs of your best prints!

if you can also include a close up aswell as a faraway shot that would be great!

Thanks!

edit: best prints

0.02? I don't believe I've seen anyone go down that far. Standard layer heights are usually 0.1mm and 0.2mm (on vertically curvy or angular prints this would give lower quality). I think I've seen some people mention 0.06mm.

You can see lots of prints in the gallery (see list of forum features to the left of this window).

0.02mm has been done, but very very few people go down that low since it isn't necessary 99.9% of the time. Print quality can actually get worse when you print with layers that tiny. 0.06mm is the lowest I go personally.

• Like 1

This is the only image I have "on tap" on a layer comparison I did way way back. This was probably done on the UMO actually. (the last one is supposed to say 0.05mm, sorry, I have the handwriting of a ten year old)

ultimaker layerheight comparison

Since the UM2 comes with a .4mm diameter nozzle hole by default, going finer than around .1mm doesn't improve resolution much - it just hides the layer lines a bit more. But I love the layer lines.

I've seen you say that a lot gr5 and I have to disagree with you. Just because the nozzle is 0.4mm doesn't mean that it kills all the details when you go with finer layer heights. It's all a matter of what type of print it is, where the details are, and if it can take advantage of the thinner layers. And a lot of people hate to see the lines.

• Like 1

This is the only image I have "on tap" on a layer comparison I did way way back. This was probably done on the UMO actually. (the last one is supposed to say 0.05mm, sorry, I have the handwriting of a ten year old)

thank you for this post.

I've seen you say that a lot gr5 and I have to disagree with you. Just because the nozzle is 0.4mm doesn't mean that it kills all the details when you go with finer layer heights. It's all a matter of what type of print it is, where the details are, and if it can take advantage of the thinner layers. And a lot of people hate to see the lines.

I intend to use this for architectural presentations so i just want the best looking prints possible. ( no print layers? )

what nozzle width and print height is optimal?

also since you own both UMO and UM2, is the UM2 more reliable and quieter than the UMO?

@craftee if you want to see amazing, blow your mind ultimaker2 prints just peruse this topic:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/467-post-your-latest-print/?view=getnewpost

There's also not-so-impressive stuff in there but all the best prints are in there.

Thank you. there are wonderful things in here!

Maybe you want to use material like laybrick that can hide the printing layers very well ? I can imagine that this is great for architectural prints

Maybe you want to use material like laybrick that can hide the printing layers very well ? I can imagine that this is great for architectural prints

looks interesting. ill definitely try it out