All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. A little background: The printer definition files come from either a manufacturer, or from an owner of a particular printer. UltiMaker will accept a request to add a printer, or to alter an existing printer definition, but other than checking spelling and syntax, UM doesn't have any way to check on whether the definition submittal is actually right or not. One of the things that is contained in the definition file is the StartUp Gcode that preps the machine for the print and the Ending Gcode that shuts the machine down when the print ends. There are a couple of errors in both your StartUp and Ending Gcodes, and then there is the temperature problem. Within your StartUp Gcode, the last line is "G5". Since nothing else is calling for bed leveling then "G5" might be an AnyCubic specific bed leveling command. If it is, then it's possible that the macro the firmware runs in response to G5 is setting the Hot End Temperature lower (120). Since it is the last line in the StartUp, the temperature stays at whatever the firmware set it to. When you open the project file below, it will over-write both your current StartUp Gcode and the Ending Gcode with the changes I've made. If "G5" is indeed the call for Auto Leveling then the new StartUp Gcode has a temperature line after the G5. I made a couple of other changes as well. The new StartUp has Cura variable names in it but it will look like this in a gcode file. ;----------------------StartUp Gcode G21 ; metric values G90 ; absolute positioning M82 ; absolute extrusion M107 ; fan off M220 S100 ; reset the feed rate M221 S100 ; reset the flow rate M104 S120 ; pre-heat the hot end M190 S60 ; Set the bed temp and wait G28 X0 Y0 ; Auto Home the X/Y axes G28 Z0 ; Auto Home the Z axis G1 F3600 Z15 ; move the nozzle up G92 E0 ; zero the extruder G1 F200 E3 ; extrude 3mm of filament G92 E0 ; zero the extruder G5 ; Auto-Level? G0 F3600 Z5 ; move up G0 X0 Y0 ; move to the left front M109 S200 ; Set the hot end temp and wait M117 Printing... ; message to LCD ;-----------------------End of StartUp If you don't like what I've done then you can open that project file you posted and the StartUp and Endings will revert to your original code. If you just want to touch something up go to "Manage Printers" and then "Machine Settings" and the StartUp and Ending will be there. GV Boat pylon top test pillar diam.3mf
  3. Yeah, a lot of people don't do that. Annoys the cud out of me. I don't want people Googling a problem to open the thread, see a wall of text with no marked solution, so just post the same question again. This thread isn't really "solved' so much as a "not our department" as @Dustin explained so there's not really much that can be done in this case.
  4. Try increasing Quality > Support Line Width. The general guideline for line width is 60-150% of your nozzle width, so if you're using a (relatively common) 0.4mm nozzle, set it to 0.6mm. Okay, not the clearest example ever (I just opened a model I use for testing little things). If you want to stop support creeping into extremely tiny areas that can probably be bridged easily, then increase Support > Minimum Support Area (I can't really give you a value, just start with like 1mm² and play around with it). Everything is a competition, at least to me. Have you managed to cut yourself with a craft hobby knife through cut resistant gloves?
  5. I don't mind so much if they're letting me do the thinking for them. */me remembers all the times she's been called on to fix computer "problems" which just involve looking at what's on screen and pressing a button* You know what, never mind. I concur. But when someone wants to remove the top bit from something spiralised, they're not looking for a script which can remove the top <x> layers from anything, especially since their original problem doesn't even involve layers.
  6. Today
  7. Now I'm even more interested to see the cura.log file. It'd be awesome if you could post it.
  8. Yesterday
  9. Hey Ultimaker community, Just wanted to share a tool I've been using lately to handle my printers, both Bambu P1S and Ultimaker S3 - 3DPrinterOS. I wanted to know if anyone else had experience using it. If you didn't hear about it, in a few words: You can keep track of the prints from anywhere with internet access. You can check on your prints and make adjustments as needed. What's really cool is that I can upload and slice models directly in the cloud. It's saved me a ton of time and hassle, especially when I'm on the move. So far the interface is easy to use, and whenever I've needed help, the support team has been quick to assist. Overall, with this soft managing my fleet a whole lot simpler. If anyone else is using it or thinking about giving it a try, I'd love to hear your thoughts! Because I am about to buy a license and wanted to know about your experience. Happy printing!
  10. Good luck with it. It's an ambitious project. Remember though that all this thought and experimentation up front can save a lot of time by avoiding having to reprint it, and reprint it, ad nauseum Going back to a previous set of images, the tops of the support structure in your photos are cyan colored and so all of that is support. It gets wormy like that because you did not enable "Support Interfaces" which would be a darker blue. How "odd" the support tops look is a function of other settings. I generally run the support interfaces at 50 to 60% density and "Grid" pattern with a "Top Distance" of 1 layer height. It can still be a pain to remove. I've stabbed myself with the hobby knife a few times trying to get it out of tight places.
  11. Both files attached. Thanks Boat pylon top test pillar diam-Cura gcode.gcode Boat pylon top test pillar diam-Cura project.3mf
  12. It’s also considerate to update your thread if you’ve found a solution to your issue, as it can be helpful for others who might encounter the same problem in the future. Your approach not only aids in maintaining the relevance of your topic but also contributes to the collective knowledge of the community.
  13. @GregValiant I'm not too worried about removing supports - it's going to be a replacement battery pack for a 10 year old cordless SDS drill which I want to convert from the useless Nicads it had to Li-Ion. But the normal supports was at one point putting support in the long thin holes (these are just for m2.5 through bolts so not worried about their finish, or the teardrop shape which I added to avoid any need for support. Oh my! It's all gone to sh!t with a couple of changes! WTF!: Support Horizontal Expansion set to 1mm and tower diameter to 6mm has resulted in a complete mess 😞 : I seem to have messed up some settings when I changed profile from draft to fine earlier and saved changes - TBH I didn't realize that is a permanent save. Changing Support X/Y (back?) distance from 0.7 to 0.5 has mostly fixed the above: though I'm a bit concerned about how tall and thin the supports are and still a little weirdness going on here though probable not fatal: Phew! sorry for long past and thanks again for your help. As long as the raft goes down ok and the first few layers are OK I've never had a real spaghetti monster failure, had a few fluffy super light massively under extruded weak prints a while back and still not sure my layer adhesion is as good as it could be but mostly good.
  14. All the verbiage is fine but what the printer is seeing is the gcode generated by Cura. Post a gcode that failed, and use the Cura "File | Save Project" command and post the project file here. Between the two of them there should be a clue as to what is going on.
  15. @GregValiant Thanks also to you for your attention and help. My printer is an Ender 2 clone. Obviously I'd like a better one like an UltiMaker, but this one was cheap and does OK, l printed this marble run and the tall thin spiral at its centre: had a bit of an adhesion issue partway trough the main body and have now resorted to raft for almost any print to avoid adhesion issues
  16. Hi @ Torgeir Thanks for your attention and help. My printer is an Ender 2 clone I attached the Tree support gcode file by mistake - I normally use tree supports but I'd sort of given up with tree supports on this partly because my printer sometimes struggles with tree supports -( I think maybe I need to increase extruder temp or flow rate ), but the main reason was that with the standard 50 deg max branch angle and 0.2mm layer thickness the layers of the supports don't seem to be enough on top of each other to print properly: and hoping to avoid the extra time for 0.1mm layers that helps that just tried with a reduced max branch angle (40deg) and that looks better from that point of view but still has weirdness and printing in midair going on Below shows roughly the same section of layers 461 and 462 with straight bits of support printed in midair in layer 462 (this is with branch angle at 30 deg but same happens at 40 deg) And also at layers 456 and 457 more weirdness and printing in midair:
  17. I have a similar problem. 3D printer Anycubic Kobra – I’ve had this printer for several years. No issues. Cura 4.13.1 – Started with this version. Did one successful print. Started the second print which started the print like normal. It later failed with a mess of plastic. It looked like the nozzle wasn’t hot enough. 5.7.1 – Upgraded to this version to see if it fixed it. Behaves the same as 4.13.1 Tried a bunch of different scenarios and determined I can do a preheat to 200C. No problem. Then, execute the auto leveling procedure on the printer which pre-heats to 120C. Attempt to start the print but the preheat never changes from 120C. Can’t figure out what changed from the first print. I tried reprinting the first one again. Has the same problem.
  18. Sure enough: [general] camera_perspective_mode = orthographic window_left = 106 accepted_user_agreement = True window_top = 95 version = 6 last_run_version = 4.6.0 I moved cura.cfg to cura.cfg.bu and restarted cura. No startup hints displayed! What's weird is that cura did NOT regenerate the cura.cfg file...there is no cura.cfg at all now; just my cura.cfg.bu. That's very strange to me; but it seems to be working...my printer profile and slicing profiles are still there... I still have to navigate to my 3D printer folder every time I open anything, even if I open 3 different files from the same directory, I have to navigate to that directory from my home folder every single time. Apparently this bug is not related to the configuration file...
  19. @Slashee_the_Cow is there a specific video or forum you could reference to learn how to do this? I've looked around a little and am having trouble finding that is a good explanation of the process.
  20. Wow. That is a seriously complex model. Those little slots (~2mm wide) need to be printed vertically so I think the way you have it orientated is the only way it can be. I tried with normal supports and yes, there were two spots that wanted to rest on the part, but the angle was really steep and I don't think they would grow successfully. But as Torgeir points out, Tree supports look pretty good, and would be a lot easier to remove. This is with normal supports, towers at 6mm dia., and Support Horizontal Expansion at 1.0. Tower supports just look to be easier from the round holes. Whatever you decide, it's going to be a nervous 21 hours.
  21. There is a 0.4 CC core.. though yea good feedback for the 0.8 CC core.
  22. I've been reading about the machine and the cores. Type AA: for printing build materials and UltiMaker Breakaway material Type BB: for printing water-soluble support material Type CC: for printing composite materials Type DD: for printing ceramic support material (in combination with the Metal Expansion Kit) Type HT: for printing high-temperature materials such as UltiMaker PPS CF We have great interest in printing with filled materials (glass, CF, etc.) and the limit on the S5's we have is only one core, the CC 0.6, was the only one that could do this. We would have liked a 0.4 and 0.8 core that could handle the abrasive materials. We had to delegate those tasks to other 3D printers in the lab. We are always looking to add new equipment to our research goals and curious if there's a bit more information on these cores and abrasive/filled materials. Thanks
  23. Hi @BarraVox, to be honest, I cant see that any support starting mid air. I'll see you're using tree support "everywhere", and as far as I'll see -this all is good.. However, we do not know what printer you're using, -but you're using Cura 5.71 Here's the overview picture of your gcode file. Thanks Torgeir
  24. Probably nothing. That model is really bad. All the purple faces are wrong, and the model is not watertight. MS 3D Builder has a pretty good repair utility. I tried to repair this model but too much of the model simply disappeared and there wasn't enough left to print. PrusaSlicer also has a good repair utility but it couldn't fix this either. This model needs to go back into the design software and be reworked. Sorry.
  25. @Slashee_the_Cow - Actually, it would be nice if when you enable a script in a project that the script name in the list had a tooltip. That tooltip could cover much of what the script actually does and what it requires from the user. You know I put messages in my stuff, but they always appear after the fact and then the user has to slice (at least) twice. I believe that when a person uses the script, it should work with whatever permutation of settings they have in Cura. If they are printing large curd cottage cheese in relative extrusion mode, no retraction, through a 10mm nozzle, it should work If they switch to small curd cottage cheese and a 5mm nozzle, it should still work. I understand that a lot of people are against thinking for themselves...but I'm a fan.
  26. Hi What is up with Supports in Cura? They seem broken. I've been struggling to get it to generate sensible supports for a fairly complex model, the STL is attached. With Support Horizontal Expansion at the default it tries to start some part of supports in midair and adds support where none is required if there is support further up in the model , with it zero it's better but still with some support started in midair: This is sliced in fine, only because I was messing about to see if the greater over lap on walls with thinner layers might help reduce need for support I could reduce need for support. InnerBodyTest1.stl InnerBodyTest1.gcode
  27. It depends a bit on what you are going for. My lab has a number of ultimakers including an S3 and in my experience they are both easy to teach beginners, and quite capable in the hands of advanced users. The S series in particular (when it is working) is very reliable, has great defaults for a huge range of materials, and still has arguably the best dual-extruder system on the market. The downside as a beginner machine is that you will make mistakes, and from what I've seen the S series is as robust as most more mid-tier hobby machines with much more expensive repair parts. So if this is for a school / work setting where you are spending someone else's money, or if you personally find the price to be comfortable then I'd say go for it. On the other hand, if the pricetag is going to be a bit more of a stretch I'd suggest starting with a more mid-tier hobby machine and then moving on to something with multiple nozzles later once you know a bit more of what you want. The exception to this is if you know you will be printing multi-material parts with flexible filaments. In that case save yourself the money and just start with an S3, it's where you will end up anyway. For more specific answers, why don't you tell us a bit about what you are hoping to print?
  1. Load more activity