Cura adding elements that aren't part of my 3D model.

rhorne

Posted · Cura adding elements that aren't part of my 3D model.

Hey guys,

We recently bought an Ultimaker 2 Extended and I'm slowly getting to grips with it.

I'm using Sketchup for modelling and importing a DAE file into CURA.

I'm currently trying to print what I'm describing as a slightly tapered plastic bung.

In Sketchup it's a completely hollow object, as it's meant to be. See - http://snag.gy/YdsvQ.jpg

But when I import the file into CURA, when I browse through the various layers I can see that the middle area is being filled when it shouldn't be. See - http://snag.gy/bMWIw.jpg

Any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong or what's going wrong?

Posted (edited) · Cura adding elements that aren't part of my 3D model.

Go to "expert" settings and in the "fix horrible" section uncheck everything.  That should fix it.

If not, right click on every gray face/side you see (in sketchup) and reverse them such that the white side is facing outward.

Edited by Guest

It's not cura, its sketchup. It might display your item correctly, but it is infamous for its horrible meshes. Especially when trying to 3D print.

Try viewing the model with x-ray in Cura. If there are red areas, this means that the model is incorrect.

Although sketchup is horrible at modeling real-world 3d items, it works. I used it for many years to design and print many 3d items. But not anymore. There are extensions you can add to sketchup that tests your parts to check for holes and so on. Learning a new CAD such that I was as good as that one (Design Spark Mechanical) as I was with Sketchup took a year. So I wouldn't switch to a new CAD if you are already a sketchup expert.

CAD programs meant for designing real parts make it impossible to create non-manifold parts. Sketchup is designed to make immersive 3d virtual worlds. Great for architects to do a 3d walkthrough but horrible for making a print. Programs like solidworks are designed to make real things - not virtual things.

CAD programs meant for designing real parts make it impossible to create non-manifold parts.

Provided that their STL-exporter doesn't make any mistakes. I've had a part or two from SolidWorks show errors. Small errors, sure, and it's rare, but it can happen.

Yup, I have had quite a few CAD file exports going wrong from various programs, which I was forced to correct by hand in Blender.

I would agree with Nallath that Sketchup is really not suited for 3D printing, because it really does not care about issues that affect 3D printing, since it does its job quite nicely without it.

In Blender, OTOH, most of the issues that affect a good print can cause problems with things like boolean operations, correct material rendering etc; so it kind of gets 3D printing made easy for free.

I've had this problem with the most recent Cura.  Trying to slice this model https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:657146.   Fixed it by changing the "Slicing Tolerance" to Exclusive, which is under Quality is in settings.