3D printer stops printing problem

ZOHAIB

Posted · 3D printer stops printing problem

Hi,

I am your 3D printer user facing a problem, kindly help me out on below mentioned issue.

I have a long job to print (approx. 48hr) but my printer stops printing automatically after few hours like 16-18hr.

Initially i thought may be it is because of some power failure issue so i attached the UPS with my printer and noticed that it is the printer which is causing that problem.

I tried different hypothesis but all in vane, Iike may be it is caused by printer overheating or something so i put the ceiling fans on with the printer fan at 100% but it still stops after same time gap of 16-18hr.

Kindly help me out on this issue, Is it a software programming or hardware issue or something wrong with my printer?

i am waiting for your reply

Thanks

Regards

ZOHAIB AFZAL

• Like 1

I am having the same problem with my printer. Also that after 16 hrz of printing I paused the print to give printer sometime to cool down if that is what causes the printer to stop but the printer stopped automatically when i resumed the print after 3 -4 hours. PLease help us out with it.

Posted (edited) · 3D printer stops printing problem

What printers are you using ?

First thing that comes to mind, is taking the SD card to early out of the PC, and the g code is not fully written on the SD card,

maybe both of you can post the g-code file, so the experts can take a look.

And let us know, what exactly happens,

does the print head just stop, and keeps on extruding and heating the head,

or does the print head move to the homing position ?

Edited by Guest

I am using Ultimaker 1. It didn't go to Home position and printer head stopped on the job just shows mendel ready after few second. The heater temperature went to 0C ( Extruder and bed temperature). It didn't show any sort of error on display panel.

Gcode file seem alright just take a look at the file.

I am just sending you the screenshorts of start and end code. I don't know how to attach file in the comments and also the file size is huge around 84Mb.

5a330f27b01af_StartCode.thumb.PNG.0716a1c986fd8553f4aa1bfd015ee59c.PNG

5a330f27df720_Endcode.thumb.PNG.eefc22c4cf7ddf7b3f965acdf67af879.PNG

5a330f27b01af_StartCode.thumb.PNG.0716a1c986fd8553f4aa1bfd015ee59c.PNG

5a330f27df720_Endcode.thumb.PNG.eefc22c4cf7ddf7b3f965acdf67af879.PNG

Posted (edited) · 3D printer stops printing problem

Please someone with g-code knowledge have a look at this :)

Check if there is any dirt on z-axis gliders or thread.

Have you both tried to print a spiral vase at maximum heightand 0.2 or more layer height, as a test ?

it would be a good check it it is hardware or software related

Edited by Guest

ok... i check

Yup i have had printed many parts at max height thats not an issue. Those parts were smaller in area only their length was maximum as of printer z-axis so they took comparatively lesser time to print and printer didn't stop. But now when I am printing this part with maximum x,y and z axis my printer could print on the bed, it stops printing after about 15-18 hrs of continuous printing. The total print time of my part is around 60 hrs. So I am guessing that may be the printer is hard coded to stop printing after a specific time?

Has anyone ever printed a part that took around this much time?

My longest print ever on my UM2 was close to forty hours, IIRC. I regularly print for 20 hours +, so you have some other issue.

To work out what's going on, you need to print something simple with the best possible settings. For example, a cylinder in PLA at 30mm/s for 30 hours. Try to start the print so at the 18 hour mark you can sit by your printer and watch what happens.

May be it is because of high speed, due to long printing time I am varying printer speed between 100-150 mm/s..

May be motors get hot with time and printer stopped printing to cool it down,,, Is that could be reason ??

I'm amazed that you are printing at 150mm/s. As I said above, start with 30mm/s for a really long print and take it from there. It's really difficult to know what the problem is without a lot more information.

I'm amazed that you are printing at 150mm/s. As I said above, start with 30mm/s for a really long print and take it from there. It's really difficult to know what the problem is without a lot more information.

I print at 150, all you have to do is

1.) locktite all the screws on your machine and add lock washers. (can provide fastenall part numbers if needed)

2.)crank the heat about 350C to account for the heat consumed with the higher speed which is step 3

3.) bump the rate of material feed to about 200%

I also print through a 1.6 mm nozzle.

I print at 150, all you have to do is

1.) locktite all the screws on your machine and add lock washers. (can provide fastenall part numbers if needed)

2.)crank the heat about  350C to account for the heat consumed with the higher speed which is step 3

3.) bump the rate of material feed to about 200%

I also print through a 1.6 mm nozzle.

How do you get from London to New York in 10 minutes? Easy.

1) build yourself a rocket roughly the size of a Saturn 5

2) fill it with fuel

3) light the blue touch paper

OK, all is clear now.

• Like 1

How do you get from London to New York in 10 minutes? Easy.

1) build yourself a rocket roughly the size of a Saturn 5

2) fill it with fuel

3) light the blue touch paper

4.)Be sarcastic so you can hamper progress.

OK, all is clear now.

The point isn't getting there alive its pushing the boundaries of what is available and make cutting edge advances in 3\D printing. That's what I'm passionate about, and I get paid to do it.

• Like 1

The point isn't getting there alive its pushing the boundaries of what is available and make cutting edge advances in 3\D printing. That's what I'm passionate about, and I get paid to do it.

Yup, it was only really funny (well, in my mind anyway) because I thought for some reason that you were using a stock Ultimaker. So it was bit like someone turning up in a car claiming that they regularly drive at 400mph. I had a chuckle anyway!

it was stock...for about 2 hours...hahah

What do you mean it stops? it shouldn't stop until it's done. Does the print kind of fade out near the end like it might be underextruding the last few layers? Does power go completely off? Or does it keep printing in thin air? The printer shouldn't stop many hours early unless you hit all 4 X/Y limit switches - in that case it might print really really fast and finish the last 10 hours in just a few minutes.

Is the nozzle still hot? It's supposed to shut down. I see you have a tall print - the last line goes up to 183mm. But still that should not trigger the Z switch.

Just please give more details about exactly what state the printer is in when you come back to it. The only thing to make it shut down completely would be a failure in the power supply brick which if you unplug and plug it back in will turn it back on.

I have two suggestions for you.

1) Set up a camera to record the printing. Make sure you are recording sound as well, it provides loads of clues

2) It's a total waste of plastic, but print a cube around 20cm x 20cm x 20cm (should be hollow, but I would suggest a wall thickness of at least 1.6mm, i.e. four shells). Use enough infill that the first 10cm in height take more than 20 hours to print. So print slowly as well, 30mm/s.

Together with the camera, this should hopefully eliminate some issues or perhaps even resolve the problem.

i am having a similar problem any it stops shortly after it stars but i was able to get it to print several layers the day before. the software is bad and stops reading temps after a while here is a video of the printer stopping and a link to a more detailed page on this form.

[url="https://ultimaker.com/en/community/19169-3d-printer-randomly-stops-printing-could-use-some-help"

I see the problem here -- your printer stopped.

Oh wait you want to know why? :) Are you doing usb printing? If so look at the log file - usb printing is not recommended.

Alternatively does your controller maybe crash?

i am usb printing and no the software does not crash it does not even read any errors. it does has a sd card slot should i try that.

Yes, use SD card.

USB doesn't work so well - what usually happens is it suddenly stops for no apparent reason. The printing software, if it's cura, has a log file. You will probably see thousands of errors in there related to bad checksum on the usb - eventually it crashes.

If you must use USB you will have to experiment - try a different USB cable, a different computer, or add a USB HUB which buffers the signal (makes the signal stronger).

I got similar problem. My printer was paused and the extruder was moved to the one o'clock corner. After i found it is paused i hit the button  then it continued to printing  but wrong coordinate.Please help!

That sounds like you have a 'pause at z' activated. Are you using Cura 15.04 or 2.1?

I have a different printer, Folgertech FT-5. I hope that it's not a problem. But the isue is still the same.

So i just upgraded my printer to a magnatic buildplate and did some other upgrades.

The problem is when i print with the sd-card it allways stops after layer 2.

When using a usb-connection the printer prints just fine.

Someone suggested that my PID settings where not ok so i did a pid calibration on the hotend & bed. Still stopping after layer 2.

In Pronterface there is no error when the printhead is stopping on the print (just like in the video).

I did replace all my wirering to thicker silicone wires and did mesure all wires. There where no breaks in any wires.

So that leaves me with 2 posible causes: Powersupply & Firmware.

But it could just as easy be something else.

If someone knows i realy like to know.

Thank you