PLA STUCK IN BODEN TUBE - HELP PLEASE :)

neo-ninja

Posted · PLA STUCK IN BODEN TUBE - HELP PLEASE :)

Hi Guys,

Been printing away for around 600 hours now no issues always PLA on my UM2.

But this morning i wanted to change filament to do another order tried reversing the filament and it sort of ground it self down. So i cancelled tried again and gave it a bit of a pull to see if i could ease it along (as that normally works when this has happened before).

However this time the filament snapped! So I now have filament about 3 inches down the tube from the hot end and literally only 2mm sticking out the other end.

I have tried taking off the boden tube to see if i can plyer it out and no joy.

Any ideas or am i screwed and do i need to buy a new one? If so where in the UK is the fastest place to get one as i dont want to have a down time more then a few days as i have a few orders to make.

Huge thank you in advance!

Push it out using filament through the bowden? If the filament isnt on the bowden but on the head. Get the head to 100-120 and take it out with a plier.

- Remove the blue clip at the bowden tube holder

- Push the bowden tube holder down

- Gently pull the bowden tube out of the holder

- Repeat the previous steps at the other end of the bowden tube

- Stick some long, non-brittle piece of filament into the bowden tube and push the fragment out

- Gently push the bowden tube back in the holder an make sure it is pushed to the very limit

- Fix the blue clip again

- print

- Stick some long, non-brittle piece of filament into the bowden tube and push the fragment out

- Gently push the bowden tube back in the holder an make sure it is pushed to the very limit

- print

I have tried that and it seems really really stuck! any recommendations on house hold items that would fit down it to push it along! I tried a bamboo kebab skewer and no joy!

- print

I have tried that and it seems really really stuck! any recommendations on house hold items that would fit down it to push it along! I tried a bamboo kebab skewer and no joy!

Maybe putting some drops of oil inside the Bowden tube helps?

If the Bowden tube is damaged, you can also get a new one at 3dsolex.com - for less money than at the Ultimaker shop.

one time I read that it could also help if you put the bowden tube in hot water, it would make the filament a bit more willing to move.

Next I would use a new piece of filament, push it in from the hot end side with a pair of pliers.

Good luck!

Posted (edited) · PLA STUCK IN BODEN TUBE - HELP PLEASE :)

Heat the tube from the outside with a hairdryer /hot air gun.

If you dont have it or haitdryer not hot enough, soak outside of tube in boiling water, when pla is soft inside push it out with new PLA.

When you have run sevral hundred hours, the tube gets lots of little scratches inside and is not really slippery! A new tube is a total difference!!

You can try filament in old tube and new tube manually, and there is no more discussion about it.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Heat the tube from the outside with a hairdryer /hot air gun.

If you dont have it or haitdryer not hot enough, soak outside of tube in boiling water, when pla is soft inside push it out with new PLA.

When you have run sevral hundred hours, the tube gets lots of little scratches inside and is not really slippery! A new tube is a total difference!!

You can try filament in old tube and new tube manually, and there is no more discussion about it.

Thanks guys for the advice, ordering new tube now. From Orsen. Will try other methods tonight!

Thanks all!

That boiling water/hair dryer sounds like a solid idea.

yeah going to try boiling water first! fingers crossed that sorts it!

I have ordered a new one just incase too as figured 7 euros wasnt bad if it lasts me for 700 hours or so.

Posted (edited) · PLA STUCK IN BODEN TUBE - HELP PLEASE :)

I have had these problems a few times, the small piece has sharp edges and is bent a little,

and thus stuck in the tube.

I just bought a 50cm 3mm metal rod (alu, brass, steel or long welding rod at any DIY store), open one end of the bowden tube, and just push the small part out :)

if it is really stuck, just tap the metal end with a hammer, and it comes out in seconds.

that's why I hate cheap PLA, if you leave it for a few hours, after finishing, it breaks at the feeder, or even worse in several places inside the bowden tube :(

IMG_1577.JPG

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

I have had these problems a few times, the small piece has sharp edges and is bent a little,

and thus stuck in the tube.

I just bought a 50cm 3mm metal rod (alu, brass, steel or long welding rod at any DIY store), open one end of the bowden tube, and just push the small part out :)

if it is really stuck, just tap the metal end with a hammer, and it comes out in seconds.

that's why I hate cheap PLA, if you leave it for a few hours, after finishing, it breaks at the feeder, or even worse in several places inside the bowden tube :(

IMG_1577.JPG

You guys are all awesome! Boiling water worked a trick.

You know what so far touch wood i have tried lots of different PLA from nice stuff on Dream3d to the cheapest i can find on ebay, and i must admit so far i cant really notice a big difference... Its certainly not been worth paying double for the odd issue.

But i could be wrong.

Had the same issue with Flexible PLA, for which pushing from other end didn't yield much, since the flexible plastic just compressed. Succeeded by having a friend heat the stuck portion of the tube with hot air gun, while pushing from other end at the same time with regular plastic filament.

Before that I also tried to apply lubricating oil into the stuck end with a needle, don't know how much it helped.

Thanks to everyone for tips.

On 7/27/2015 at 6:47 AM, SandervG said:

one time I read that it could also help if you put the bowden tube in hot water, it would make the filament a bit more willing to move.

Next I would use a new piece of filament, push it in from the hot end side with a pair of pliers.

Good luck!

Just had the same thing happen to me, thanks for the tip it worked. Used hot tap water, let it sit in the hot tap water for a bit and then used a thin allen key to push it out. 

I find "hot" tap water is not hot enough.  You want it around 60-80C (140-180F) which is like "tea" hot.  I would boil water and pour into a lasagne pan or something big enough.  The water doesn't need to be boiling when you immerse the bowden but if it *was* boiling then it will probably cool to 60-80C by the time it heats up the container that you pour the water into.