Cold pull temperature for colored XT

Dim3nsioneer

Posted · Cold pull temperature for colored XT

Hi guys

For those of you who print with colored Colorfabb XT: At which temperature do you (cold) pull?

I tried several temperatures and it always breaks at the cold-hot junction...

I cold pull at 90deg on my Olsson block, but i pull PLA at 70deg, so my temp sensor might be out a bit.

Has your PTFE coupler deformed a bit? as it might catch on the edge when you pull up.

I also pull PLA at 70deg (Olsson block as well). I didn't check but a deformation of the teflon is very unlikely. It is quite new (less than 50 print hours) and is protected by an I2K isolator. The print quality is better than excellent. And cold pull of PLA still works fine.

If you have a ptfe 3mm you could insert to the very nozzle, lower the temp and pull all inside the ptfe.

You mean the Bowden tube? Actually, I don't do anything else; I always perform the cold pulls with the Bowden installed... ;)

No I mean to insert a 2mmID 3mmOD ptfe. It's a bit like milking the nozzle. Then you lower the temp and cold pull the ptfe full of material stuff.

You mean the Bowden tube? Actually, I don't do anything else; I always perform the cold pulls with the Bowden installed... ;)

With a UM2?

With a UM2?

Yep. With Robert's feeder wide open... ;)

No I mean to insert a 2mmID  3mmOD ptfe. It's a bit like milking the nozzle. Then you lower the temp and cold pull the ptfe full of material stuff.

Hmmm... that idea sounds quite clever... you do that trick?

I do that on the second extruder that I left on 3mm. Tryed one day. Now I just use cleaning filament. Posted it sometimes on the forum but I think people thought I was just crazy. Well to be fair I'm a little bit :p

• Like 1

I pull colored XT at 90 to 100 degrees.

For cleaning the nozzle I use Nylon.

At what temperature are you pulling nylon at ?

I've never heard of doing that. Do you use the Taulman Nylon?

To date I've only encountered one nozzle clog on my UMO and it was the Ultimaker Blue PLA and a problematic Bowden tube coupler. I robbed my dual extruder kit of the extra coupler, Bowden tube and nozzle. The printer has worked well since. I'm not sure what to do with the old nozzle. Someone mentioned holding it over a heat source and melt out the large chunk of PLA stuck inside.

I'm fascinated by these multiple Atomic Pull remedies.

No I mean to insert a 2mmID 3mmOD ptfe. It's a bit like milking the nozzle. Then you lower the temp and cold pull the ptfe full of material stuff.

I feel a bit stupid because I don't understand what you mean with this?

Yep. With Robert's feeder wide open... ;)

But it can be done with the stock feeder as well, just make sure the stepper is powered down and you can easily push and pull filament for an atomic. I've done that a "few" times (like hundreds hehe).

Still haven't installed my feeder on my XT and Go... I suck. The sad thing is that I get annoyed every time I change filament :p

Posted (edited) · Cold pull temperature for colored XT

No I mean to insert a 2mmID  3mmOD ptfe. It's a bit like milking the nozzle. Then you lower the temp and cold pull the ptfe full of material stuff.

I feel a bit stupid because I don't understand what you mean with this?

No way. Just insert a ptfe 3mmOD and 2mmID (used on 1.75 filaments) and insert it through the bowden (if you have one long enough). Then since its 3mm it fits until the nozzle exit. I use to move it up down to 'milk' and push filament. Then lower the temp and pull the ptfe with all that's inside. Zero waste of filament. Too bad there's no 2mm iOD ptfe so I could do it on my system. But works on the other extruder.

One downside. When I used to clean wood filament it took me a good 20mins to push most of the stuff because it was cloged. So the tip of the ptfe burns a bit. But with a clean 2mm cut it works.

Edited by Guest

Ah ok, you use it a bit like a push rod to squeeze filament out and let whatever is left stick to it and then pull it out. Clever.

• Like 1

At what temperature are you pulling nylon at ?

I warm the nozzle up to 220 degrees, push it until it comes out the nozzle, set the printer to cool down, turn the Nylon a couple of times around and let it cool to 90 degrees, then pull it out.

Normally within 3 or 4 times the nozzle and heat chamber are clean.

I've never heard of doing that.  Do you use the Taulman Nylon?  

To date I've only encountered one nozzle clog on my UMO and it was the Ultimaker Blue PLA and a problematic Bowden tube coupler.  I robbed my dual extruder kit of the extra coupler, Bowden tube and nozzle.  The printer has worked well since.  I'm not sure what to do with the old nozzle.  Someone mentioned holding it over a heat source and melt out the large chunk of PLA stuck inside.

I'm fascinated by these multiple Atomic Pull remedies.

Yep, Taulman Nylon, works like a charm