Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Dim3nsioneer

Cold pull temperature for colored XT

I also pull PLA at 70deg (Olsson block as well). I didn't check but a deformation of the teflon is very unlikely. It is quite new (less than 50 print hours) and is protected by an I2K isolator. The print quality is better than excellent. And cold pull of PLA still works fine.

I pull colored XT at 90 to 100 degrees.

For cleaning the nozzle I use Nylon.

I've never heard of doing that. Do you use the Taulman Nylon?

To date I've only encountered one nozzle clog on my UMO and it was the Ultimaker Blue PLA and a problematic Bowden tube coupler. I robbed my dual extruder kit of the extra coupler, Bowden tube and nozzle. The printer has worked well since. I'm not sure what to do with the old nozzle. Someone mentioned holding it over a heat source and melt out the large chunk of PLA stuck inside.

I'm fascinated by these multiple Atomic Pull remedies.

No I mean to insert a 2mmID 3mmOD ptfe. It's a bit like milking the nozzle. Then you lower the temp and cold pull the ptfe full of material stuff.

I feel a bit stupid because I don't understand what you mean with this?

Yep. With Robert's feeder wide open... ;)

But it can be done with the stock feeder as well, just make sure the stepper is powered down and you can easily push and pull filament for an atomic. I've done that a "few" times (like hundreds hehe).

Still haven't installed my feeder on my XT and Go... I suck. The sad thing is that I get annoyed every time I change filament :p

No I mean to insert a 2mmID  3mmOD ptfe. It's a bit like milking the nozzle. Then you lower the temp and cold pull the ptfe full of material stuff.

I feel a bit stupid because I don't understand what you mean with this?

No way. Just insert a ptfe 3mmOD and 2mmID (used on 1.75 filaments) and insert it through the bowden (if you have one long enough). Then since its 3mm it fits until the nozzle exit. I use to move it up down to 'milk' and push filament. Then lower the temp and pull the ptfe with all that's inside. Zero waste of filament. Too bad there's no 2mm iOD ptfe so I could do it on my system. But works on the other extruder.

One downside. When I used to clean wood filament it took me a good 20mins to push most of the stuff because it was cloged. So the tip of the ptfe burns a bit. But with a clean 2mm cut it works.

Edited by Guest

At what temperature are you pulling nylon at ?

I warm the nozzle up to 220 degrees, push it until it comes out the nozzle, set the printer to cool down, turn the Nylon a couple of times around and let it cool to 90 degrees, then pull it out.

Normally within 3 or 4 times the nozzle and heat chamber are clean.

I've never heard of doing that.  Do you use the Taulman Nylon?  

To date I've only encountered one nozzle clog on my UMO and it was the Ultimaker Blue PLA and a problematic Bowden tube coupler.  I robbed my dual extruder kit of the extra coupler, Bowden tube and nozzle.  The printer has worked well since.  I'm not sure what to do with the old nozzle.  Someone mentioned holding it over a heat source and melt out the large chunk of PLA stuck inside.

I'm fascinated by these multiple Atomic Pull remedies.

Yep, Taulman Nylon, works like a charm