Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Darth_Biomech

Glue stick

This is kinda silly question, perhaps, but... Stick of glue that comes with the Ultimakers, is it some kind of special glue for printers, or is it just your regular glue for paper in offices, and any other glue will do just as well?

I suspect that it is latter, but wanted to make sure first, since label only says that it is a glue and that it is not toxic. X)

Its a regular glue stick, though some brands are known to work better than others...

Another (very cheap) approach you can try is to dissove some regular PVA wood glue in water (something like a 1:10 solution), apply to heated bed and let dry... I'm using this and it works super... You can read more about bed adhesion here:Surface Materials

Edited by Guest

For PLA I now uses UHU stick glue. It's a real pain to get the part off the bed, but it works really well.

For ABS, I have not found anything that works as well as ABS juice. Applying it is easier if you use a puck.

I remove the glass from the machine, scrape off the old dried juice and then apply juice - not just acetone - to the glass using the puck. It does not seem to work all that well for PLA, and nylon comes right off.

I don't have a heated bed (UMO) but I find that Blue Painters Tape (real stuff, not the knock-offs) and wiped down with rubbing alcohol works. To the point i have to remove the bed and struggle to get the print off the plate at times!

I think the exact names are meaningless to me, since they're almost certainly not selling where I live. But I'll search for alternatives)

Buy one stick of each brand you can find and try them out. That's what I did. OK, I pinched the UHU stick from one of my kids, OK, but I did buy the other ones that did not work :)