gaps in first layer

cowardc

Posted · gaps in first layer

I have tryed to print on the ultimaker and the first layer or the layer creating the brim has came out with spaces between each other sorry cant fidn words how to describe the problem should be a picture attached can anyone help please ?

thank you

IMG_1710.thumb.JPG.68c1cd0581e4022cf1f7a1bc59d130e9.JPG

IMG_1710.thumb.JPG.68c1cd0581e4022cf1f7a1bc59d130e9.JPG

Could you take a close up?

Just thinking out loud; could it be that the bed is levelled too low, and therefor the layers are 'laid down' gently, instead of squished down. (can you just wipe this layer of with your finger?)

Is the open space equal over the entire first layer?

Cheers :)I give it ago when I'm back in work much appreciated

Hi Corwardc, could you select the answer which helped you most as the 'Best Answer'? It will help future readers with a similar problem to find a potential solution as soon as possible :)

Thanks!

• Like 1

Too low?

It looks like the print head is too high above the bed and not squishing/flattening the filament :)

I run into this a lot, I try to level the bed so that the paper slides beneath but with some friction. I've learned to let the paper pass thru a little smoother, which on my UMO, gives that flattened filament we all desire!

• Like 1

I agree with the others in that there's too much space between the extruder and the bed.

Personally, I think the "paper sliding" method is pretty terrible – paper is less uniform in thickness than most people think, and the idea that you should be able to feel when it's right is really tough for new users!

Here's what I recommend: Go to your local hardware or automotive parts store and pick up a set of mechanic's feeler gauges ($5 US at Harbour Freight, but less than $10 just about anywhere).

For the initial 1mm setting, put the .8 & .2 mm blades together, then adjust the bed height up a click at a time until you cannot easily slide the 1mm thick bundle under the nozzle, and then lower the bed one click. Set the front two corners using the same to blades so that they _just_ slide under the nozzle.

For the final round of adjustments, pull out the 0.01 and 0.02 blades and adjust all three points until the 0.02 blade will not fit in the gap, while the 0.01 blades slides through freely

Voila! A perfectly calibrated and leveled bed.

NB: you'll have to do a bit of math if you're stuck with imperial measurements (inches), but once you pick the right blades, you'll be ready for quick and easy leveling. If you need minor adjustments, just change the blades as needed.

Hope this helps!

• Like 3

In contrast to some on this forum I really like the paper method :) you can really feel a bit of friction with the paper. I don't use anything else, oke I may be fine adjusting a little sometimes but it's mostly not needed. I just use a 0.3 first layer and find that good enough ...

And if you want to use feeler gauges make sure to clean'm as they are usually oily ... and you want to keep a clean bed...

• Like 1

have voted best answer dwardio the feeler gauges helped me get the bed leveled alot more accurately and applied this technique to my other ulitmakers and they are all working fine thanks for the help everyone :) much appreciated

• Like 1

The feeler gauge is a great idea, I have a Harbor Freight nearby. I'll try that too