Raise 3D

Labern

Just saw the Raise 3D Kickstarter.

The dual prints look really bad and have no nozzle lift etc and wasn't really that impressed overall but..

What I did like was the color touch screen that shows a picture of your print and a lot of nicely displayed info.

Feature to resume a print in-case of power failure

full enclosure

Wifi - a must these days

large build volumes

and lastly a 300deg extruder. It says all metal hotend so not convinced hot well this will print PLA.

They also claim 0.01mm layer resolution but who uses UM's 0.02? hardly anyone.

I'm guessing if UM came out with a UM3 it might have some nifty features and not more of the same.

If they don't then they better watch out as some of these other packages will start to look pretty tempting.

Posted (edited) · Raise 3D

They promise quite a lot for that price

But it looks like a good enclosed ultimaker with double z axis and touch screen. The board uses atmega with some cape for aditional stuff like touch screen. For me it's like a ultimaker clone with a few little changes. Even the central x/y system looks exactly the same.

Edited by Guest

Yes I notices a lot of it looked the same. they claim that the bed never needs leveling and this is done in the factory. I don't know how long that will last.

Would be Nice If UM gave the UM2 an upgrade pack that has wifi and resume after power loss etc.

Looks like nice printers to be honest. I really like the large build volume

It isn't on Kickstarter though, it's just the video they released already. I assume the actual campaign comes later.

The prints look pretty good in the video.

I like that touch screen with the display of the model, it's a bit fancy but nice i think.

Does anybody know the price?

The dual extrusion seems to work from the pics, i would like to see a video!

The heads look like E3D but i'm not sure

If it works like in the video, wouldn't the nozzle which stays on the print create a big blob of melted plastic? And shouldn't it need to prime before it starts again?

Or don't you consider that a problem, and you would rather have that then do a print over?

(i.e. would you consider a print failed if it had such marks?)

N1: $1200 - $1400

N2: $1500 - $1850

N3: $2000 - $2400

Look more closely at the prints and they are not that great. Some good yes others not so.

As the dual doesn't have nozzle lift then you may knock over you print with stationary print head.

Head is different to E3D.

The big one will be cool though.

It is much cheaper then I expected, especially after the touch screen, wifi and DE.

Yeah.

These printers will look very attractive to people who are new to 3D printing.

They wont know about Dual extrusion issues or 0.01 layers don't necessarily give you better prints and are major time killer.

The Raise 2n Plus is now out has anyone got there hands on One I Like the Ball screw Z axis

Posted · Raise 3D

They will be at the Maker Faire. @SandervG and @Gr5 will be there I think so will be able to do some recon.

Raise3d isn't at makerfaire.

Posted · Raise 3D

Oh. It's says on their website that they would be.

they are being sold via iMaker store going to look at them at the TCT Show in September I like the Z axis ball screw and I like no bed levelling although I wonder how good that would be in the time scale of the machine, a know a jolt in transit could be a world of hurt

Raise3d isn't at makerfaire.

A little bit late, but want to say hi.

We are at NXP booth, since we are using their imx6.

It's a pity that we don't have a chance to talk to your guys.

Much too late. :(

It would have been good if someone said so (that you were at nxp booth). Guys realize that there are over 100,000 people at this event and thousands of booths and there's no way to see every booth in the 3 days that the event is there. You will always miss something. I spent many hours looking around and never noticed raise3d.

Posted · Raise 3D

I keep forgetting to comment. I was invited to have a look at a N2 plus the other week.

Its big, really big, At first i was really surprised by the quality of the appearance and the prints. these were single extruded though. note that it doesn't have nozzle lift system or nozzle wiper.

The touch screen is amazing. Full color with great menus and graphics. How it shows the progress is really cool and for jogging any of the axis or extruder. You can even enter a distance. Only downer is you have to crouch down to use it as its set really low.

The bed leveling is so insanely complex. Its a system that is meant to be set by factory and not ever need adjusting but it was out by 0.2mm on arrival. The adjustment system is flawed and the glass was thin to a point it was bending. this had been modified with a thick reinforced plate with build tack type surface by the time i had looked at it by the owner.

The print head is really big and heavy so much that the rods sag when in the middle of the build plate.

they was also a lot of slop in the bearings so you could wiggle the head.

the electronics board vents are also next to the heat bed and apparently this caused problems so this was closed off and a external vent was installed.

there were also other small issues like the caster wouldn't rotate properly upon arrival as they hit a protruding screw. the door also needed stiffening.

Some of the build was surprising built and seemed expensive like the double bed ball screw z axis and the solid anodized aluminium cnc machined spool holder. As i said earlier the prints despite all the issues looked better then i thought they would but i cant say its good without seeing more prints and watching it print.

So if you want a big ass printer with a cool touch screen and are prepared to do a whole lot of mods and install a light weight print head then it could be a good option for you.

Labern

thanks for the description, I was sorely tempted, I am after a new printer, I expected there to be a few short cummings, will wait till middle of the year and just maybe there will be more choices.

I'm pretty intrested too, I think I'll try one very soon to get an idea about it.

I don't really like the feeder system. But I saw Bondtech has developed one for this machine so this could maybe become even better then

I use Bondtech on mu Um2 love it, but as Labern has pointed out there are some more point os the machine that are not so Good, Bed Levelling is a Real Pain for me and I was interested in the Raise but factory set is never a real option if things go wrong and they do your in trouble.

Posted · Raise 3D

I don't like the Raise 3D feeder. If filament gets stuck inside or broken then they provide you with a metal rod to push it out. Problem is the metal rod scratched up the sides of the feeder and the owner said that the nozzle blocked up with shavings from the feeder parts that came from the scratches.

I don't like the Raise 3D feeder. If filament gets stuck inside or broken then they provide you with a metal rod to push it out. Problem is the metal rod scratched up the sides of the feeder and the owner said that the nozzle  blocked up with shavings from the feeder parts that came from the scratches.

Yes, sounds logic. Crappy thing...

What could we do about the calibration stuff ? Changings rods and put some nuts maybe ?

I saw these guys at CES and makerfaire (they were relatively close to UM booth Gr5)

Their print quality on display is usually consistently great! Like most dual extruder printers on display at trade shows didn't have a lot of dual samples.

I especially like their wifi, screen, build volume, enclosure and purported ability to continue a print after failure/power outage. Pretty good price too! However bed level makes me a little worried like Labern said.

Probably one of the better KS machines out there. I think they just used KS as marketing and pre-orders and not so much to start production like a lot of startups.

Yeah I saw them in this video by "rainbow girl" and I could see the UM booth in the background. Even though I spent maybe 8 hours walking around that fair and I thought I went everywhere in our building as well I realized after seeing that video that I never went down that particular "lane".

32 seconds into the video - the eiffel tower scene you can see both raise3d and ultimaker in one shot: