Colorfabb flexible. When? Any new new?

neotko

Posted · Colorfabb flexible. When? Any new new?

Kind of looks like Ninjaflex SemiFlex filament. Its harder than the regular ninjaflex but is next to impossible to break and deforms like what is shown in the video. Maybe Colorfabb is working on TPE filaments?

Posted (edited) · Colorfabb flexible. When? Any new new?

I know they did do a batch of flexible filament but that was almost a year ago and they did not continue. Unfortunately it was the best looking flexible print I had seen :( in term of print finish and feeling.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

I've had good results with SemiFlex but thats with my modified heater. I was never able to get good prints with the stock feeder and I'm still having issues with Ninjaflex even with my modified heater. I'm not sure there is a good workaround for flexible filaments with bowden style printers.

Yes after a month of seeing that video I was hoping to hear something else. I like flexibles but the color options are quite crapy so far. And for my stuff I need it to have at least 'interesting' colors. Ninjaflex and other are very normal and kinda sad :)

Edited by Guest

For flexibles I plan to make a mod for my magnetic heads like the one @anders-olsson showed here https://ultimaker.com/en/community/view/10657-a-different-multi-extrusion-approach-um-tool-printhead-changer?page=29#reply-121740

Direct feed small size, retractions and no problems. Sound the best option.

Looks like a good idea, I'd just be concerned what adding all that weight to the head would do. Might be worth looking into beefing up the XY rods, adding bigger bearings as well. We have an old MakerBot Replicator that I plan on modifiying with an E3D hotend and gear feeder. The XY stage on the makerbot is more rigid but cant handle the same sort of acceleration/speed the Ultimaker can.

Well I think the motors can handle it and 80grams can't do much dmg. I wonder what's the head weight difference from umo+ to um2. Worse case would mean to set the acceleration at 1800 o so to avoid the increase in ringing?

Colorfabb just tweeted:

@ColorFabb: @neotko It is not a flexible. But we will make an announcement next week. #staytuned

Great news! #Cantwait

@neotko, maybe you've seen this: http://ngen.colorfabb.com/

looks like its very soon indeed!

Yeah. Weird they said isn't a flexible on the tweet. I hope the new filament survives the hype (That I have).

I guess it's a semi flex as they claim it will be ok for most printers also bowden type printers.

@neotko keep calm...... its just plastic :) I don't expect a miracle.

• Like 1

Lol true. But to have new colors on flexibles would be really nice for my summer plans :D

There are flexibles, but not really 'good colored' flexibles. I just wish Faberdashery would get on the game of flexibles, that could be interesting.

Gent's, that stuff that will be announced tomorrow is really great stuff to print and has a great finish !

It has great combined specs that isn't available currently in any other filament (as far as I know).

• Like 1

http://ngen.colorfabb.com/

So it seems it's the replacement of XT... filling the gap between PLA & ABS.

looks like if you need real temperature resistance you still go for ABS, but if you don't want to work with ABS or 85C glass transition temp is ok for you it might be nice, I'll give it a try anyhow soon. Wondering mostly if the layer adhesion is ok, as that gave me the most issues with XT.

It's still not cheap, but at least a lot more reasonable priced than the crazy expensive XT.

Just ordered a roll of ngen "light grey" looks like a nice color, bit like faberdashery architect stone..

And also nice... free shipping and I only ordered one spool ...

Ordered it too :) didn't notice the free shipping as i bought 4 spools :)

About the flexible filament i think it will come up in the following months or the kickstarter video wouldn't have showed it

Ha ha your a reckless person... 4 spools of a material you've never tried.....

I also want to try a roll. Didn't like XT, so hopefully this prints a bit better.

I was lucky enough to try a spool of red last night.

**Referring to colored XT bellow

I like it better than XT. No burn marks so far. :D

Retraction... I guess I still need to figure it out a bit...

The print finish is great, between XT and PLA-PHA, Similar flexibility compared to XT and better layer adhesion.

I had to print at lower fan speed otherwise it was making some hair and had some spacing between lines. Was printing around 230-235°C, 0.15mm LH, 50mm/s.

nGen Red vs Green PLA-PHA

IMG_20151125_101940.thumb.jpg.ca99a4fc7e332660fe26098e71b46c71.jpg

IMG_20151125_101836.thumb.jpg.ec400a428d9373a47898d38d3e17f672.jpg

IMG_20151125_101949.thumb.jpg.67189906d291d6b9226bcba12bbe50fd.jpg

IMG_20151125_101940.thumb.jpg.ca99a4fc7e332660fe26098e71b46c71.jpg

IMG_20151125_101836.thumb.jpg.ec400a428d9373a47898d38d3e17f672.jpg

IMG_20151125_101949.thumb.jpg.67189906d291d6b9226bcba12bbe50fd.jpg

Edited by Guest

If you need a high toughness and impact strength comparable with ABS, XT is still a bit better.

But as you can see in the comparison chart (http://ngen.colorfabb.com/why/), it has the best properties of other materials in one filament.

It prints great, and for you @Arjan, it has indeed a better layer adhesion then XT.

Below a picture of nGen transparent, layer height .25mm, 0.5 nozzle, single wall, 230C, 50mm/s, 50% fan:

IMG_1054.thumb.jpg.2aa1a5b4aeb461514a178c77b0212285.jpg

IMG_1054.thumb.jpg.2aa1a5b4aeb461514a178c77b0212285.jpg

Edited by Guest

How does it print in overhangs?

About the flexible filament i think it will come up in the following months or the kickstarter video wouldn't have showed it

Ngen must be the flexible filament as they show the headphones and state the Kickstarter campaign on the ngen website.

• Like 1

Good question. I'll do some testing tonight. Any preferred settings you want to test :) ?

Good question. I'll do some testing tonight. Any preferred settings you want to test :)?

Different fan levels? They say 0-100%. Should give some room for tests... ;)