"Heating failed" screen flickering

emcodes

Posted · "Heating failed" screen flickering

This seems to have come up for a number of people but not actually been addressed properly. The general idea is that the hotend fails to heat up (a lot of people are saying it fails the 10 degrees in 40 seconds test, or some other combinations of delta Q/delta t) and when reporting the problem, the Ulticontroller screen goes unreadably dim and flickers, which persists until it's turned off.

Interacting with the knob on the Ulticontroller brightens the display for a fraction of a second, for what little diagnostic help that information might provide?

That is a while ago since I trouble shooted an Ultimaker Original.

Some basic things first:

How long do you have your Ultimaker Original+?

Did it ever work properly?

Are you sure the power supply is still working, and supplying enough power?

Is the UltiController connected properly? Any change when you wiggle the flat cables?

Does the UltiController work normal before a heating failed error is triggered?

Could it be that the power gets cut off to the heater after this failure, and the UltiController is connected in that same line? (@GR5 probably knows this :p)

emcodes your problem sounds pretty strange. Not sure what could cause the ulticontroller to dim other than pretty serious electronics issues. So either the main board or the power supply. You should probably open a ticket if this is a new machine.

• 6 months later...

Which of the two problems do you have? "heating failed"? which is very common and well understood? Or "flickering display" which I have no idea what causes that and I've never seen that before. If it is "heating failed" then did it happen when you first heated up the nozzle or during your print (for example when the fans come on a few layers into the print).

One of my umo+ did the screen flickering and when I got that the temp of all suddenly changes to 0. For me the fix was to rearrange the screen cables so they don't cross/touch any other wires.

Which of the two problems do you have?  "heating failed"?  which is very common and well understood?  Or "flickering display" which I have no idea what causes that and I've never seen that before.  If it is "heating failed" then did it happen when you first heated up the nozzle or during your print (for example when the fans come on a few layers into the print).

I have the same problem. They come together. If I the screen dimming and flickering, there's a good chance heating will fail. Sometimes my printer will work fine for days at a time, and then it will give this error for days.

@apgodshell which printer? Please add your printer to your profile settings so everyone knows what kind of printer you are talking about. It could be the cables that go to the display as neotko says or it could be a bad connection to the bed. For UM2 it's usually at the bed.

@apgodshell which printer?  Please add your printer to your profile settings so everyone knows what kind of printer you are talking about.  It could be the cables that go to the display as neotko says or it could be a bad connection to the bed.  For UM2 it's usually at the bed.

I had a similar "problem": the LCD was unreadable when I started heating up. After a short while the error message "Heating failed" showed up in the LCD, which was actually not true because the extrusion head got really hot. Only then I noticed that the blue LED on the extrusion head was off, and it was obviously a connection problem. I had not properly engaged the strain relief on the extrusion head, and previously the bowden tube had detached from the head and pulled the red/yellow/black connector out of the mini PCB. So no temp reading and no LED. I assume the missing temp made the machine put a lot of power into the heating so the LCD started flickering.

I have just today experienced this problem for the first time after three years of impeccable service. Has a definite solution for this been identified? My hotend and bowden appear to be connected as usual.

What exactly is your problem?

Some basics: Is your blue LED still on, and is the red-yellow-black connector still connected to the little pcb on your print head?

Is there no damage to be seen on your black main cable, a couple of cm before it enters the print head?