Plugin to replace the extrusion g-code with my laser on/off function M126,M127)

newdesign

Posted · Plugin to replace the extrusion g-code with my laser on/off function M126,M127)

Hi, looking to get up and running using the cura software for my 3d printer. Its a uv resin curing printer so uses a laser to cure the solution as it rises from the vat.

My problem is that when i generate g-code its creates it as to think there is Extrusion happening, but what i need to do is replace this with my laser function (M126 on) and (M127 off) through out the entire code. how would this be achieved?

I have read about people creating a plugin for it or writing a script for it but i would not know how to do that. Any advise or where to go would be great.

Posted · Plugin to replace the extrusion g-code with my laser on/off function M126,M127)

Hi Nallath, thanks for the reply im using cura 15.04.4. this is were i lack knowledge on script writing, i am not sure how i would go about doing this?

Is there anything out there to help me do this?

any links? It seems simple seen as other people have to be doing but i just cant figure out how to go about doing it. So all information i get is new to me

Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction?

Googled it. Third find explains it:

http://www.appropedia.org/Open-source_laser_cutter

Thanks for the reply, had a look at this but this is for etching. What i need to be able to do is is cure Uv resin with a 402nm laser. Just need to be able to turn the laser on and off at the right time through out the code instead of having the extrusion process happening.

That sounds like an interesting project! I suppose you should dig in the examples that @nallath linked.

Posted (edited) · Plugin to replace the extrusion g-code with my laser on/off function M126,M127)

@xisle maybe able to help you out if you ask him nicely. He has written gcode modifiers for me in the passed that worked really well.

Edited by Guest

thanks for the reply guys. i think the problem here is the lack of open socure software to do this, and that my knowledge is limited has its restrictions. Thank you labern, i will massage him and see can he help me out. this project is draging out on me and would really like to get it finished.

Cool. I have actually made a plugin for CURA to control a laser also

Perhaps you could use the Post-Processing Search/Replace function in Cura 2.6?

You can but you also need to add some more bits.

I made this plugin today so that I could operate my laser cutter with Cura:

# Copyright (c) 2020 Belin Fieldson
    # LaserCode is released under the terms of the AGPLv3 or higher.

from ..Script import Script

class LaserCode(Script):
        version = "1.01"
        def __init__(self):
            super().__init__()

def getSettingDataString(self):
            return """{
                "name":"Laser Code v.(""" + self.version + """)",
                "key":"LaserCode",
                "metadata": {},
                "version": 2,
                "settings":
                {
                    "_activation":
                    {
                        "label": "Laser Activate",
                        "description": "The code to use to activate the laser",
                        "type": "str",
                        "default_value": "M3"
                    },
                    "_deactivation":
                    {
                        "label": "Laser Deactivate",
                        "description": "The code to use to deactivate the laser",
                        "default_value": "M5"
                    },
                    "_prefixActivation":
                    {
                        "label": "Active GCODE",
                        "description": "The gcode that the activate code should be prefixed to",
                        "default_value": "G1"
                    },
                    "_prefixDeactivation":
                    {
                        "label": "Inactive GCODE",
                        "description": "The gcode that the deactivate code should be prefixed to",
                        "default_value": "G0"
                    }
                }
            }"""

def execute(self, data):
            activation = self.getSettingValueByKey("_activation");
            deactivation = self.getSettingValueByKey("_deactivation");
            searchActivation = self.getSettingValueByKey("_prefixActivation");
            searchDeactivation = self.getSettingValueByKey("_prefixDeactivation");
            activated = False;
            # Declare output gcode
            for layer in data:
                index = data.index(layer)
                lines = layer.split("\n")
                newLayer = ""
                for line in lines:
                    if (searchActivation in line and not activated):
                        newLayer += activation + "\n"
                        activated = True
                    if (searchDeactivation in line and activated):
                        newLayer += deactivation + "\n"
                        activated = False
                    newLayer += line + "\n"
                data[index] = newLayer

return data

On 1/7/2016 at 10:35 PM, newdesign said:

Hi, looking to get up and running using the cura software for my 3d printer. Its a uv resin curing printer so uses a laser to cure the solution as it rises from the vat.

My problem is that when i generate g-code its creates it as to think there is Extrusion happening, but what i need to do is replace this with my laser function (M126 on) and (M127 off) through out the entire code. how would this be achieved?

I have read about people creating a plugin for it or writing a script for it but i would not know how to do that. Any advise or where to go would be great.

Hi @newdesign

I'm working on a project just like you do, have you figured out how to do this?
    Can you share with me? Thank you very much.

Posted (edited) · Plugin to replace the extrusion g-code with my laser on/off function M126,M127)

hey anyone find about this if yes please let me know @newdesign  and @xisle

or anyone else please. defining g-code for laser attached with extruder to sinter extruded composite

@myterious0104 did you find it?

Edited by Lokibaghel

Even for someone who just knows a tiny bit of programming, this isn't a hard project.  Follow the links.  Look at the code.  Understand it.  Then write your own "post processing" plugin/extension.

actually I am new to it , are you talking about above nallath github link

yes and also thebelin's code just a few posts above.  You can change his M3 and M5 to the appropriate codes for your particular machine.