What PLA filament?

ppolla

Posted (edited) · What PLA filament?

Its time to buy some more filament....besides the Ultimaker, what filament would you suggest?

There are many brands....I dont even know where to start.

Thanks

Edited by Guest

Posted (edited) · What PLA filament?

I like innofill, started using them recently and it's been great! did 4x 30 hr prints with black (usually my most troublesome color) and printed without a hitch. Because of PLA's glossyness, every imperfection shows up like a glaring error so I'm glad it printed nicely.http://www.redicubricks.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/IMG_20151214_181243-686x1024.jpg

There are only a few filaments I would trust to leave for 30 hrs and be somewhat confident that it would finish without random underextrusion. and that would be innofill, colorfabb and Ultimaker filament. (heh, all dutch filaments)

I've also heard good things about Atomic and Faberdashery filaments but haven't tried them myself.

Lastly, make sure you get 2.85mm filament. Some 3.0 exists and can give you a hard time as it gets tight in the bowden tube if it's on the high end of the tolerance.

Oh yeah, and colorfabb & innofill spools fit natively on the spool holder on a UM2. Faberdashery comes in loose coils (which makes it a bit of a write off for me)

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Posted · What PLA filament?

DiamondAge is absolutely the best PLA available. It is monochiral, and very hard. However, it's not available here in US, due to having had a terrible distributor.

I've recently been buying from MakerGeeks - their Clear (Natural) PLA is less cloudy and tinted than other vendors, and their prices are about half. It's 2.90mm spec, and runs fine on my UM2.

As with the guys above, ColorFabb and Faberdashery are good, TwoBears Linen was also very nice prints at a lower temperature.

Whatever you do don't buy cheap filament.

Thanks everyone. Went with ColorFabb....supporting dutch economy! ...after all that is where I lived most of my time!

Thanks everyone. Went with ColorFabb....supporting dutch economy! ...after all that is where I lived most of my time!

Hi,

I'm having the same question as you had in January. I'm looking for new filament beside Ultimaker.

Did you already tested the material of Colorfabb? What is your experience?

Hi Stijn, depends where you are on the filaments you can get, and what colours you want, but in Europe, ColorFabb and Faberdashery do good PLA with a range of colours. TwoBears has a very nice 'Cotton' PLA but only one colour, Proto Pasta was a nice 'Aromatic Coffee' which is a high temperature PLA. Reprapper isn't bad either.

I can't say about ABS's as I haven't run with them yet.

If you want Flexible materials then I would say either. NinjaFlex, SemiFlex or Recreus's 'FilaFlex'

Another vote for ColorFabb....having good, consistent results

sorry for a late reply....didnt have much time recently for my 3D hobby.

So far i love Colorfabb...no regrets. I tried a few colors and they all worked out fine

ColorFabb for me to Don't like the White though

I really like esun grey pla. I usually buy from toybuilder labs as they check each spool before selling to a customer. I've yet to have a bad roll. Price is decent at about $30 a spool. They also go under the name prototype supply on amazon and do free prime shipping.

The longest print I've done with it was over 50 hrs no problem.