ended Community Contest | Win an Extrusion upgrade!

SandervG

Posted (edited) · ended Community Contest | Win an Extrusion upgrade!

(Here's my entry, just in time!)

My wife occasionally has problems with her joints. When they hurt and are swollen, she can barely hold a fork in her hand.

There are "orthopedic" forks with thicker handles that can be bought, but they're usually expensive and/or ugly. We wanted something that would benefit everyone by making a 3D-printable handle for widely used (and easily available) IKEA forks.

Goals:

• modify / improve a fork so that it can be used by people with joint problems
  • it needs an "angled" surface, so that it's easier to grip
  • it should fit a regular IKEA Dragon fork
  • it should be removable, so that the forks can be washed in a regular dishwasher
  • it should be easy to print without support material

I designed the fork in OpenSCAD so that the parameters could be customized if someone wants a thicker handle or has a different fork. The source code can be found here, licensed as CC BY-SA so that others can profit too.

Here's the result:

IMG_7279.jpg

IMG_7280.jpg

The Ultimaker 2 prints the 0.1mm layer version in about 6.5 hours without any support and the quality is fantastic!

For increased stability, the two parts are connected using horizontal "cross-beams". But because 90° overhangs are hard to print, we designed the beams at a 45° angle. Finally, the two sides are held together with two rubber bands.

Here's how you put the two parts together:

IMG_7283.jpg

And here are some of the prototypes:

IMG_7287.jpg

And finally, here's the 3D print card:

(By the way, should this entry win, then the extrusion upgrade would benefit our local hackerspace, where the Ultimaker 2 is being used for many hours every week.)

Edited by Guest
more info about cross-beams
  • Like 1

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · ended Community Contest | Win an Extrusion upgrade!

Thank you all for your entries and enthusiasm! I think we can all look back at a successful contest with a lot of great entries. We have been able to make the world a little bit of a better place through all these upgrades ;)

I'll run these entries down my team of jury members and we'll report back tomorrow with a winner! It will be around 2pm CET.

... exciting!!!

Thanks again all, and hopefully you'll take part in our next contests as well :)

(By the way, should this entry win, then the extrusion upgrade would benefit our local hackerspace, where the Ultimaker 2 is being used for many hours every week.)

Damn, I might actually have to print these for myself. Or design ones alike for other kitchen tools! Cool! Thanks for sharing.

Edited by Guest

I should have posted my entry at 16:58, I'm sure it would have done the same effect, wouldn't it ? ;)

Small addendum: We noticed that the fork handle also fits the big spoons in the same IKEA cuttlery set :)

IMG_7291.jpg

I should have posted my entry at 16:58, I'm sure it would have done the same effect, wouldn't it? ;)

That wasn't on purpose at all, I barely managed to finish printing all the prototypes :)

• Like 1

Hi All, thanks again for all your entries and participating!

We were very excited to see all the upgrades and efforts people put into this contest.

After reviewing the entries and a short debate it was clear that one entry stood out.

It was exactly what we were looking for to see, and besides a great entry it is also a great user case for 3D printing in general! Showing what a good idea and a 3D printer can accomplish.

So, with no further ado..

The winner is.. ! Congratulations!!

IMG_7280.jpg

Your entry is a great example of innovation. They say the best ideas are the simplest ones and you have proven this. We are excited to see what you have been able to do for your wife and make dinner a more pleasant and convenient moment in a day.

The hackerspace should be happy with a member like yourself :)

I'll send you a DM so we can arrange the final details and we'll send your Extrusion upgrade to you!

Also, a special shout out to @Nicolinux (and @UltiArjan's iteration) for designing the wedge. Loved it! :)

Do you want another chance at winning an Extrusion upgrade?

We'll start a new contest soon. Stay tuned...

Edited by Guest
    • Like 4

Congratulations ! ;)

How do you manage to design both mechanical/functional and good-looking objects ?

I would use solidworks for a precise thing, and 3dsmax for art.

How do you combine them ?

congratulation @dbrgn !!!! good luck with your upgrade, I'm pretty sure you'll like the new feeder...

• Like 1

Congratulations also from my side !

And have some fun with the upgrade .

I´m going to put money aside from now on... Hopefully my girlfriend will not realize it ;)

• Like 1

Yeah, awesome! Many thanks to the jury :)

• Like 1

Congratulations, I also think this was the best entry. Well done.

Congrats dbgrn! Form and Function both show through with your print.

Congratulations dbrgn Well deserved.

Yay \o/ congrats to the winner, an assistive device deserves first place for sure! And it's all in fun! Plus the prize goes to a good cause. Cheeers!

Les

Brilliant win - by far the most outstanding entry. Superb function with great form without re-inventing the wheel. Or fork, in this case. Oh, and a nice choice of colours, although you should go all the way and get some nicer-looking rubber bands :)

This is *exactly* what desktop printing makes sense for. Fulfil a need that is not being serviced properly by existing offerings, and make it oh-so-much-better with some careful thought.

• Like 1