Ultimaker 2 plus - Regular or Extended?

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 2 plus - Regular or Extended?

Hello everyone!

So, I plan on buying an UM2+ soon and I would like some advice. My main objective will be printing hollow architectonic models (houses, comercial buildings, etc) and some decorative pieces (the kind of model we see a lot, statues, action figures). Im not sure which one would suit me best. Also, I saw on a topic that I cant find anymore about the regular being a bit better, quality wise, than the extended version, is it true?

Thanks in advance :D

Edited by Guest

Posted · Ultimaker 2 plus - Regular or Extended?

Well, the bit about the "regular supposedly being better than the extended" has me confused, that's why I didn't answer.

From all I know, UM2+ and UM2+ Extended are 100% identical except for the build height of course. So my answer would've been: it all depends on how tall your printed objects need to be.

Quality is the same.

I would recommend if you can afford it get the extended. Especially if you will do and statues. You can chop models and glue them but it is nicer if you can print all in one piece. There will be the days where you will want the extra height.

Build quality of both should be the same. What you might've heard is that because the extended is taller you can get bigger deflection in the print if you print the whole height. Since the bed isn't solid as a slab of marble, it can deflect a bit, any movement at the bottom will be magnified at the top. With a taller print, this deflection will be larger at the top. Personally it's not something I would worry about though.

I think what you guys said makes sense, about the deflection being magnified at the top, how is that? I mean, is that noticeable or something more "in theory"?

My main goal will be commercial models (like shoppings, culture centers, some condos too) but I think I will print them one floor each time... Will I get a nice quality keeping in mind some prints will need to be hollow, so I can see the the rooms inside? I saw some pretty high quality prints but Im not sure if, after you get the hang of it, you can get that quality consistently? Since I will be selling those prints, getting the quality almost every print would be nice!

"nice quality" is such a subjective term. Something that I would consider "ok", you might think is "crap", or vice versa. I think the best thing you could do would be to ask someone to print a model for you and see if it is what you expect. 3dhubs is a site where you can find someone local who can print something for you.

It also depends on the model. You say you will print floors of buildings that will be hollow. If that means a hollow cube with windows, you will have problems with overhangs. The printer will need to print into mid-air which is tricky. Normally you would be able to use support to help with that, but since you have an enclosed volume you wouldn't be able to remove that support material. There's a picture here which shows what the underside can look like. On a bigger print it would look worse.

I could go on, but I should've been asleep 2 hours ago and my brain is feeling slow, so I'll leave it there for someone else to continue :)

I saw some about that, that's why my idea is to build hollow but without any roof in each print, a floor and the walls only, so it wont do that ugly thing haha. My idea with quality is a piece that you can sell, after a bit of post processing like sanding and some painting, and it wont show the stepping, 20150824_120157.jpg

Something like the image above, which was printed with a fdm printer. That would be my idea of nice quality!

the original site with the photo: http://www.javelin-tech.com/3d-printer/architectural-model-finished-assembly/

Edited by Guest

I'm not sure the extended is still for sale. It looks like they took it off the UM website so if you want one you might have to hurry to get the last few available. Or get a used one. The quality is just as good as UM2 as far as I can tell (I have both). As far as motion at the top - PLA is stiff enough that you can print tall skinny parts without much of a problem. If the part is 1:10 ratio (e.g. 1cm wide, 10cm tall or maybe 3cm wide and 30cm tall) you are starting to push the limits where the quality at the top edge won't be as good because the part is vibrating a little bit. But you can sand it, fill it, paint it, and it should be perfect. However going to 1:20 ratio and it's just too much. I'm not sure where that point is exactly (1:10 or 1:20 or 1:30) but somewhere around 1:10 or 1:20 and it's too difficult to print with reasonable quality.

it looks in the picture that this is printed in bits and pieces and glued together afterwards (which is the best way to get nice floors and ceilings anyway..) together with some lasercut acrylic.

The thing to be aware of is the thinnest walls you can print, as with scaling down a model there is still enough material to print..

For printing buildings you must think smart and know your limits.

The Extended + is still being advertised on UM's website.

Really? I couldn't find it. For example if I hover over "products" above this page I don't see it. If I click on products I still don't see it. If I go to "store" then I can find it in some of the resellers. Strange that they no longer mention it on the main web page though? Maybe Ultimaker is dropping the extended when the um3 comes out? Or maybe they just want to keep the message simple (only mention 3 printers instead of 4).

Hi George,

the Ultimaker 2 Extended+ falls under the +family, in which you can choose between an Ultimaker 2+ and Ultimaker 2 Extended+. Which kinda also answers the OP's initial question, and confirms what was already said; the two machines are identical except for the difference in build volume.

For that reason when you go to the product page of the Ultimaker 2+, it shows all the specs for the Ultimaker 2+, but also the comparable specs for the Ultimaker 2 Extended+.

In the hero, next to the print, you also have the option to toggle between the Ultimaker 2+ and Ultimaker 2 Extended+.

The Ultimaker 2 Extended+ is still a very popular machine, so we have no plans on removing it from our products :)

I have extended, and surely the taller you get more unstable the print will be if they are thin. After having it for over 6 months now, I guess I have printed parts taller than 20 cm just 5-6 times, so if it really is worth it? That depends. The few objects (statues, vases) does really stand out when they are just that bit bigger. I also think the extended version look a bit cooler.

If you buy it however, when it nears the last few cm in a 30 cm build, go out for a walk, or do something else, because it may give you a heart attack when watching and just thinking "will it fail now?"

the Ultimaker 2 Extended+ falls under the +family, in which you can choose between an Ultimaker 2+ and Ultimaker 2 Extended+.

Oh! I see it now. Does that mean the UM3 won't replace the UM2+ext? Rats. I thought maybe...

Oh well. This is what happens when companies keep secrets about future products. People just make wild guesss. :(

Oh well.  This is what happens when companies keep secrets about future products.  People just make wild guesss.  :(

Or you say that you are planning a feature, such as dual extrusion, and then you later realise that it's not going to work. Then people aren't making guesses, they're being pissed off and yelling at you loudly. Two sides of every coin :)

Edited by Guest

Well they kind of promised it as opposed to "we are experimenting with maybe the next printer having dual nozzles".

I'm hoping for a wider printer (not taller).

Hope dies (at) last... ;)

the Ultimaker 2 Extended+ falls under the +family, in which you can choose between an Ultimaker 2+ and Ultimaker 2 Extended+.

Oh!  I see it now.  Does that mean the UM3 won't replace the UM2+ext?  Rats.  I thought maybe...

Oh well.  This is what happens when companies keep secrets about future products.  People just make wild guesss.  :(

why couldn't it theoretically/hypothetically live next to each other like the Ultimaker Original and the Ultimaker 2+ family?

Or you say that you are planning a feature, such as dual extrusion, and then you later realise that it's not going to work. Then people aren't making guesses, they're being pissed off and yelling at you loudly. Two sides of every coin :)

this will hunt us for the rest of our lives I think. Failure is our greatest teacher I suppose!

this will hunt us for the rest of our lives I think. Failure is our greatest teacher I suppose!

Sorry, it wasn't meant to open up old wounds. It just felt like the perfect example of why sometimes less information is better.

I know :)

So, I will be closing this thread, since I got my answer. If anyone passes by this: they both have the same quality, but the extended might generate a bit more "noise" towards the top of the print, based on the settings and the model you are printing. The increased height would come in handy, if you plan on printing things that will need it, such as statues, it might be better to get it and already have the extra height, even if you dont use it always, since you cant do that if you dont have it lol.

Thanks for the replies!

• Like 1