Christmas present from Ultimaker: Cura 12.12 release

Daid

Posted · Christmas present from Ultimaker: Cura 12.12 release

I'm happy to announce Cura 12.12.

This release mainly improves the MacOS support, which removes many of the odd problems that the previous release showed for MacOS. It no longer requires anything installed on your system, and also doesn't install anything. It no longer shows "Python" as application or shows 2 icons in the dock. You can also drop STL files on the dock icon, or double-click STL files to open them.

Other then that, it's mostly a bugfix release, with a few minor new features.

New Features:

• [*:3voajcfy]Initial startup wizard asks for a few extra things about your machine and adjusts configuration accordingly
    [*:3voajcfy]New bed leveling wizard to check and adjust your printerbed
    [*:3voajcfy]A new button on the 3D window shows steep (more then 60deg) overhangs in red in the 3D model, allowing you to [*:3voajcfy]identify parts that will be hard to print without support.
    [*:3voajcfy]Easy model rotation by use of the new rotation wheel
    [*:3voajcfy]Ask to reload the current file if Cura notices that the file has changed
    [*:3voajcfy]Project planner now always auto-places models, as manual placement was tricky and everyone used auto placing anyhow.
    [*:3voajcfy]Added "hop" to expert settings, hop moves the head up when moving without printing, giving less chance to break your print when moving. This helps with thin spiderweb like prints, but can also produce extra blobs.

Bugfixes&Small changes:

• [*:3voajcfy]Fixed a bug with none-ascii paths in Windows
    [*:3voajcfy]Fixed "scale to max size" to account for the skirt and raft
    [*:3voajcfy]Added text on temperature graph in print window
    [*:3voajcfy]Fixed functionality of temperature set box on print window
    [*:3voajcfy]Fixed sketchup dae import scale
    [*:3voajcfy]Removed the machine center settings in favor of always centering
    [*:3voajcfy]When loading a new model and resetting scale/rotation/mirror also reset the plugin
    [*:3voajcfy]Fixed a bug when using 1.2mm als wall thickness causing over-extrusion

You can download Cura 12.12 from:

http://software.ultimaker.com

Happy 3D printing,

David

Ultimaking Ltd.

Hi. I just got an Ultimaker and am looking forward to printing.

Even though I have printed a semi-successful test object from my Ulticontroller, I decided to take the next step and install Cura 12.12 to use out the bed leveling feature and start to prepare & print new models.

However, when I click "Print", nothing happens... no window, no printing, no error messages. Since I have never used Cura before I am uncertain what should happen next, if I'm missing something or the software is not working properly. I'm under the impression that some sort of print window should open after clicking "Print" and nothing happens. Is there something wrong with Cura 12.12?

Even more concerning is that per the recommendation of Cura, I updated the Marlin firmware but now I can't print from the Ulticontroller properly either. It seems to be drifting a few mm on the x axis per z layer, looking like skewed stack of cards... when this wasn't happening before. Is there something wrong with the new Marlin firmware update that comes from Cura 12.12?

Gelukkig kerstfeest

Is there anyway to revert back the manual placement function in project planner?

I have a heated bed which is smaller than ultimaker default bed. It is only 20x20cm and auto-placement will place some parts out of my bed printable area.

Is there anyway to revert back the manual placement function in project planner?

I have a heated bed which is smaller than ultimaker default bed. It is only 20x20cm and auto-placement will place some parts out of my bed printable area.

I second that.

And there are much more reasons to keep this...

You can configure the bed size in the preferences, preventing objects from falling off the bed with different bed sizes.

Hi!

My name is Pablo from www.arduteka.com

Congratulations for this update,

I love this software, you can see a review that I conducted in Spanish on this link

http://www.arduteka.com/2012/12/softwar ... vs-marlin/

But I think there is a bug in this latest version...

I can not run the retraction, but yet working properly from the jog menu...

Is this possible?

Greetings!

[edit]

Sorry..

I had not checked the box "enable retraction" :?

You can configure the bed size in the preferences, preventing objects from falling off the bed with different bed sizes.

Yes, but what is so great about printing at the center of the machine and nowhere else?

I don't want to exchange the tape after every little print. I have plenty of unused space.

Maybe I am using the print head to knock an object off the platform.

Possibly I only want to specify an offset because my machine is equipped with several

extruders. Maybe there's a screw in the middle of the table (*1*).

What about experiments while building other, new machines and the bed is not in the

middle of the printing area?

And, and, and...

Up to Cura 12.11, there were two easy ways of choosing the position of an object:

a) machine center definitions in the "advanced config tab"

b) the project planner

Now, both of them are gone.

The missing variables resulted in a gcode like

G01 X?machine_center_x? ...

and killed a print head just a few minutes ago, because it, well,

hit a screw (see (*1*) again).

Cura gives us the possibility to rotate or scale an object, flip it across any

axis, checking the gcode output graphically, it now even can display overhangs,

but I can't simply move the part?

BTW.:

I never used Cura for controlling any machine, because it (yet) lacks many

features, I only used my modified Marlin/Display/SD-Card code or Printrun.

But this time, well, is there actually code behind the "PRINT" button?

It does absolutely nothing...

Now, back to repairing the machine and browsing some sources 8)

Have a nice Christmas

HP-65

===

(*1*) I am not going to discuss that ;-))

Yes, but what is so great about printing at the center of the machine and nowhere else?

Yes, i also belong to the crowd who like to position the objects manually... Kisslicer doesnt let me do that, and slic3r is allergic to it as well, leaving only the cura project planner as a tool to make platters in freeform... And now that feature is gone as well...

Hp65 has a screw in the center (which isnt open for discussion), and I have my thermocouple taped onto the glass in the back-right corner, which we both know are areas easy to avoid in manual project planning mode, but not in full auto mode.

Yes, i also belong to the crowd who like to position the objects manually... Kisslicer doesnt let me do that

Yes it does... Granted it's not very obvious but you can do it. Check under the Precision slider to the right of the main settings. There's a big ol button that says "Center" on it, to the left and under it there are sliders to change the position of the object. I use it quite often when I'm lazy and don't want to replace tape.

Yes, i also belong to the crowd who like to position the objects manually... Kisslicer doesnt let me do that

Yes it does... Granted it's not very obvious but you can do it. Check under the Precision slider to the right of the main settings. There's a big ol button that says "Center" on it, to the left and under it there are sliders to change the position of the object. I use it quite often when I'm lazy and don't want to replace tape.

I knew the single object placement slider you are talking about. When you have multiple objects on the platter, they are arranged automatically, and the sliders are just moving the whole group around, and the object rotation just changes the auto arrangement. With cura, you could simply manually move them where you would like them.

Ah, sorry, misunderstood you there. 99% of what I print is single objects so I didn't take into account moving several of them around, but I can certainly see the need for it.

I installed ver 12.12 and the "print" button does not work anymore (neither prints, nor opens new windows for printing). Did I miss something?

A quick solution:

- browse to your Cura directory

- enter "Cura/gui"

- open the file "projectPlanner.py" with an editor

- look around line 158 and change

self.alwaysAutoPlace = True

to

self.alwaysAutoPlace = False

Just printed five objects "around my screw"...

HP-65

Now I have detected another bug (mac).

I'd like to confirm it.

The pieces come with me excess plastic.. before I could adjust the Steps Per E, but now does not change anything even if you set this value.

Nor does it change anything if you vary the density of the plastic.

Same thing happens to you?

Manual placing gone?! I used that all the time! :shock:

Why would I always want to print on the same piece of blue tape in the center?

Now I'll have to reinstall an older version of Cura... *sigh* :(

I thanks for this update

but my cura is not longer working it crash evry time I open it ...

do you have a solution ? someone else have this problem? can I Upload the last version which were working perfectly ?

if it can help to understand

(Process: Cura [567]

Path: /Applications/Cura/Cura.app/Contents/MacOS/Cura

Identifier: com.ultimaker.Cura

Version: 12.12 (12.12)

Code Type: X86-64 (Native)

Parent Process: launchd [289]

Date/Time: 2013-01-03 01:35:42.747 +0100

OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)

Report Version: 6

Interval Since Last Report: 363371 sec

Crashes Since Last Report: 9

Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 89 sec

Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 9

Anonymous UUID: ****

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread)

I uninstal the 12.12 version and instal the 12.11

now this version is working I hope you can fix this bug on the 12.12 version

Just to bounce back to the original question in this thread - I use positioning all the time, so I decided to stretch my Python chops and provide a plugin to shift the model in X / Y / Z. Just put it up on Git, you can find it [url =

https://github.com/daid/Cura/pull/314/files

]here[/url] and save it directly into your Cura plugins directory.

Note the 12.12 release for Mac is broken on MacOS 10.6, we've found the problem and working on a fix.

I still can't find how to manually position single items. :oops:

"Check under the Precision slider to the right of the main settings."

Would the main settings be the "Print Config" tab? Precision slider?? Are we even using the same program? :shock: I see "Layer Height", "Wall thickness", etc.

The precision slicer is about KISSlicer, not Cura

"Oh." he says politely as he walks away from his keyboard feeling slightly embarrassed for having barged into the conversation only to demonstrate his having missed the point entirely.

:geek: