Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
dwardio

Uneven extrusion at edge of UM2 print bed

While attempting to print a piece that pretty much extends from the front to the back of the print area (with a few mm to spare), I'm getting uneven extrusion.

The area within ~10 cm of the front left and perhaps ~5cm deep "fades" from no filament deposited to full/normal deposition across a region/arc about 5 cm in depth, as shown below:

UM2-fade-zone.png.e2a6a2fc0e912169a5e4c42e1165ffb1.png

Any ideas? I've changed filament, re-leveled the bed, and re-sliced the file; but this problem still persists.

Thanks in advance!

UM2-fade-zone.png.e2a6a2fc0e912169a5e4c42e1165ffb1.png

Try rotating the glass 180 and see if the problem moves with the rotation (just print a small cube or something in that area so you don't have to wait so long). If the problem moves, try flipping the glass over and see if that helps.

Also check that the heads of the screws on the build plate are properly countersunk and not sticking up.

It might be stress on the bowden tube. I would try printing at half speed to reduce the force needed by the extruder in that area. You might want to get a new bowden tube as they can get ground up a bit and exhibit higher friction.

Have you used any "filled" filaments like CF, brassfill, glowfill, etc?

It might be stress on the bowden tube.  I would try printing at half speed to reduce the force needed by the extruder in that area.  You might want to get a new bowden tube as they can get ground up a bit and exhibit higher friction.  

Have you used any "filled" filaments like CF, brassfill, glowfill, etc?

The only filament I've used is PLA.

This appears to have been related to the print speed, which in turn was related to the default S3D slicer settings for the UM2. Not surprisingly, Cura nails this setting (60 mm/sec), but S3D defaults to over 150 mm/sec.

Everyone seems to rave over S3D, which is why I bought it, but I've been underwhelmed every time I use it.

Thanks for your help!

Try rotating the glass 180 and see if the problem moves with the rotation (just print a small cube or something in that area so you don't have to wait so long). If the problem moves, try flipping the glass over and see if that helps.

Also check that the heads of the screws on the build plate are properly countersunk and not sticking up.

Although I carefully re-leveled the bed using feeler gauges,I didn't think to rotate the glass.

Part of the issue could have been that the front left was too high, but I successfully printed small test items in the problem area.

It would appear this was a speed issue. As noted in my other reply, the tests were sliced in Cura and the problem piece was sliced in S3D.

Thanks for the suggestion.

What speeds did you set on s3d? Or you used one of their autosettings? Post the speed settings if you want I can give you a hand. But s3d isn't better than cura by default (their basic profiles are quite bad). It's better if you put time, but not better by default. Cura it's the best click/print program.

What speeds did you set on s3d? Or you used one of their autosettings? Post the speed settings if you want I can give you a hand. But s3d isn't better than cura by default (their basic profiles are quite bad). It's better if you put time, but not better by default. Cura it's the best click/print program.

It was one of their autosettings.

Yeah, s3d has a big learning curve, and their default settings suck big time. There's a few post here about s3d that might give you some hints. But if you just want to 'print' keep using cura, also since their 2.1.3 version cura it's starting to be quite powerful.

Edited by Guest

Hi Dwardio,

Again, I'm very much agree with Neotko here. I've been using s3d since April this year, -and I'll think s3d is great for analysing, -but not for slicing!

I have 3 ruined prints sliced by s3d... And all of them in the first layer, got pictures of all of this.

When slicing same file in Fusion 360 (AutoCad - you can have it for free) or Cura 2.1.(X )the print is perfect! And from my part, Cura is the best slicer!

(If you're been using Solid Works and cant affort it anymore, look into Fusion 360!!!)

So, use Cura and see the difference..

Thanks

Torgeir.