Remote monitoring / control?

peteruithoven

Posted · Remote monitoring / control?

So the Ultimaker 3 can be controlled on the local network, but are there any ideas about how to monitor or even control it remotely? Being able to see the webcam of your printer at home, while you're at work for example.

I could open up ports to it in my router, making it accessible to the greater internet, but that feels risky? Or are the risks diminished by the pairing system and the fact that it has ssh turned off by default?

Posted (edited) · Remote monitoring / control?

In developer mode, you can access the UM3 over SSH with root access. That probably means that you can install openvpn, or another vpn solution. That way you can make the UM3 accessible from anywhere where you can access the same vpn.

Edit: a note on VPNs... Most VPN software does not work with ZeroConf/Bonjour, which is what Cura uses to detect UM3 printers on the network. You would probably have to manually "Add" the printer at the IP address the printer has gotten from the VPN.

Edited by Guest

That sounds like an interesting and saver solution. Maybe even easier because you don't have to study the router's interface (of which there are many).

I hope someone will publish a tutorial on that, as I have no experience at all with vpn.

Posted (edited) · Remote monitoring / control?

At my work we actually do it the other way around, wanting to view work prints from home. I've integrated camera from the UM3 into our security camera application (Synology Surveillance Station) which is accessible over the internet (after login of course). It displays as though it were just another camera, and since the security application handles recording and file management it makes it really easy to just pull the video of a specific print based on time or motion detection.

Edited by Guest
    Typo
    • Like 1

I had no previous vpn experience but did setup a vpn on my home router (fritzbox) in a few minutes just following the manual and the um3 direct camera stream (and beta app) work with it without any issue.... very pleased with it !!

I'm using it from my android phone.

I've sort of started with a dashboard: https://github.com/peteruithoven/um3-dashboard

But this is currently only showing the camera, using the unofficial mjpg stream, which I've made accessible through my router.

I could really use some tips on how I could for example only have my server be able to access my printer so that I could provide a limited read-only api for the dasboard, maybe using a vpn.

Currently i'm monitoring my UM3 from outside my home network by opening port 8080 and using my ip address followed by ":8080/?action=stream" like this:

[iP Address]:8080/?action=stream

I hoped that i would be able to control the printer from Cura using my external IP but it doesn't look like it works.

I hoped that i would be able to control the printer from Cura using my external IP but it doesn't look like it works.

If you want to do that, you would also have to forward port 80. I would not recommend you do that though, as you open up your UM3 to the world.

If you want to do that, you would also have to forward port 80. I would not recommend you do that though, as you open up your UM3 to the world.

Damn. I really want to do this but i can see that it's quite a risk.

I use a VPN to my home network, works fine....

@ahoeben, was thinking the same. Altough... there is the permission check and port 80 excludes ssh. Maybe I'm paranoid?

@ultiarjan, any tips on how to set that up? Would that be usable to access it from a server, to publish a limited api to the public?

@ultiarjan, any tips on how to set that up? Would that be usable to access it from a server, to publish a limited api to the public?

It basically means you can do anything as you would be able to when on the internal network (if I explain that correctly, I'm no network expert..)

Easiest is to look in the manual of your router, in my case (a fritzbox) it was super easy to set up a vpn in a few minutes. I can now just use the Ultimaker app to control the UM3 on my phone from anywhere.

At my work we actually do it the other way around, wanting to view work prints from home. I've integrated camera from the UM3 into our security camera application (Synology Surveillance Station) which is accessible over the internet (after login of course). It displays as though it were just another camera, and since the security application handles recording and file management it makes it really easy to just pull the video of a specific print based on time or motion detection.

I am trying to configure my Synology Surveillance Station to see my UM3 camera, but without succes.

Can you tell me how you did it.

/Best regards

• Like 1

I am trying to configure my Synology Surveillance Station to see my UM3 camera, but without succes.

/Best regards

Same for me!

/Best regards

Same for me!

Hi,

I'm running in that same problem.

I can get a stream over my local network in my browser by "http://192.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080/?action=stream", just to make sure it works.

In the setup of the Synology SurveillanceStation I entered

- the same name of the device

- IP address: 192.xxx.xxx.xxx

- port: 8080

- Brand: Generic

- Videoformat: MJPEG

- Folder: - nothing - ??

- Username und password: - nothing -

I always get no connection.

Who can help?

You probably have to enter /?action=stream as the Source path.

Thanks for a hint,

I tried it but got the same message!

5a3340c62cd74_171111-UM3Surveillance.thumb.png.86089ed940ea970990d27cac7680b91e.png

Any more ideas?

If anyone got the camera set up with Synology SurveillanceStation, please share your settings. I would love to do the same.

I got it working. Here are the settings to use.

image.thumb.png.2c98ee916448e565116dd7decb666de9.png

• Like 1