Gcode import in Cura 2.3

spepin

Posted · Gcode import in Cura 2.3

One of the features I liked in the "old" Cura was the ability to import settings from gcode. That seems to no longer be a possibility in 2.x. Sometimes, I work on a project at work and slice it there, then print it at home. If I need to make a tweak, especially in the slicing, I like to be able to open it in Cura at home and have the same settings that are already in the gcode. Unfortunately, Cura at home is set to the same settings that I last used with it at home. Are there any plans to allow either direct opening of a gcode file, or apply settings from a gcode file to a project that's already loaded?

Posted (edited) · Gcode import in Cura 2.3

That's a nice question for @nallath since atm Cura doesn't really 'save' all settings but only the ones you change, so maybe it also "can't/doesn't want" to have that feature.

I think the logical step could be to just save all settings used on a gcode, to also help debug problems from user to user, or better a full save system that can zip the file used, scale, position and settings in one file like simplify3d has been doing from years. That kind of options could fix your problem. Hopefully is on their roadmap, or maybe not? I suppose cura focus mostly on easy clickprint than on real life production that needs repetition and fine tuning.

Edited by Guest

Importing a gcode file in the Profile pane of the Preferences should work (and it does for me). It will create a new profile with the settings that were used to slice the gcode file.

It also works for me, but it could be that we fixed a few issues since 2.3.0 (which will be in 2.3.1, which I expect to be released in about a week, provided regression tests go well)

Just getting my feet wet with 3D printing and learning a great deal with so much more to learn.

Recently picked up a Monoprice Select Mini printer and got it configured well enough for a print of the included model.

Since Cura didn't list my printer, and I haven't learned all the nuances of creating one, I decided to just use the SD card for now and import the gcode from the working example, but Cura was displeased with my offering.

Cura_Import_error_zpsircwguqa.jpg?t=1479008343

While the cat is cute, I can't help but think the printer has more potential. :)

Do I need to change the gcode before importing?

Unfortunately it did not work for me either (vs2.3.1)

profilefail.thumb.JPG.f238f26b39e320684a33be616a6c725e.JPG

@GrendelPrime, @yellowshark

you are aware that only gcode-files that was generated with Cura have the information included you need for importing as a profile?

Gcode files generated by other slicers cannot work, why "the hell" should another slicer know how the necessary variables are named in Cura ;)

you are aware that only gcode-files that was generated with Cura have the information included you need for importing as a profile?

Gcode files generated by other slicers cannot work, why "the hell" should another slicer know how the necessary variables are named in Cura ;)

To someone who is not a programmer and new to 3D Printing, this is not an invalid assumption. After-all, there are many data formats that are 'universal' or self-defining (PDF, Postscript, HTML, XML, etc.)

Why gcode, as an open-source data format, doesn't contain standard setting definitions is a valid question (IMO).

As 3D Printing matures, I see this a necessity...

Thank you for the reply and the information.

Being my first foray into 3D printing I was unaware, but learning-by-screw-up is kind of my signature.  Ended up uninstalling Cura 2.3.1 and installing 15.04.2 that came with the printer and was able to import and slice away.

As familiarity with the tools comes, the process will undoubtedly  become more streamlined, but for now  working is good enough.

Gcode generated by Cura 1.15.x cannot be imported into Cura 2.x...

Gcode generated by Cura 1.15.x cannot be imported into Cura 2.x...

My gcode file was sliced back in March so that would explain it! Fortunately I can still open Word, Excel, Access files from many years ago and photos from even further back

• Like 1