UM3 Reprint, what a mess!

Ronan

Posted (edited) · UM3 Reprint, what a mess!

Redid a print that came out perfect. Only variable is a sound ampening blanket over the printer (printer has a hood + door) in hope of regaining some peace and quiet in the office.

It's either a overheating issue which would surprise me (i would think the UM3 would adjust it's temperature if it's getting hotter in there)... or the blanket is stopping the bowden tubes behind the printer in moving freely which would cause grinding of the filaments (present) and under extrusion (also present).

What do you guys think?

IMG_20161111_151443.jpg

I hope it's just the cover and i need to NOT put it behind the printer...

@gr5 @neotko @SandervG

Edited by Guest

Posted · UM3 Reprint, what a mess!

Heat for sure. The printer can't adjust the temperature of the enclosure it is in and it needs at least some cool air in order to keep the areas of the core that needs to be cool, well, cool. The filament is going to get too warm too high in the system and expand causing issues.

Heat for sure. The printer can't adjust the temperature of the enclosure it is in and it needs at least some cool air in order to keep the areas of the core that needs to be cool, well, cool. The filament is going to get too warm too high in the system and expand causing issues.

That would suck... really bad. So how come a hood/door works but once i put a sound dampening blanket on top (and not even tucked in or anything) causes this issue?

What about people putting them in cupboards and what not?

Edit: Trying something different, printer goes in a spare closet, blanket goes over the closed door. Reduces noise quite a lot, i can fit about 3-4 printers in it (But will only put 1-2). Do you think overheating will still be an issue? The closet is 3 feet deep, 8 feet high, and 4-5 feet long. @IRobertI

Edited by Guest

Hard to say as I don't know how hot it gets where you put them. But the spec sheet says that the operating temperatures are between 15 °C and 32 °C for the UM3.

I'm not sure why it worked with the hood/door. Perhaps it has some small gaps which let some heat out? Depending on what material it's made out of it will radiate heat more or less. A thick blanket on the other hand is an excellent insulator and will keep most of the heat in. And like you said, that was the only difference between the prints so logically it would be the cause, right?

You wouldn't toss a blanket over a laptop or TV to quiet it down would you?

But it's not only the printer that gets affected by higher temperatures. The filament itself will start to soften at higher temperatures which can lead to it being squished by the feeder which makes it "fatter" which in turn can cause issues.

Actually the um3 deals with a hot chamber better than f.e. the e3dv6 imho. If close the front and top when printing abs. Leaving a few holes in the top cover (just a plastic box) to not overheat it. I'm not exactly sure anymore but last time on the um3 the temperature stabilised around 50c. For the e3d this would already cause a block

Iv printed with the UM2+ in a closed chamber with zero issues. So i was quite shocked this morning when i saw the print.

Hopefully this works out. Plenty of space for the printer to 'breath' and the blanket is just covering the door.

Hmn not sure what difference printing in a large recess with a blanket would be to printing in an enclosed printer in a room with the door and windows shut. I even once had the heating mistakenly set to 26c

@Ronan, how did it go with your Ultimaker in the closet?

Got 2 UM3's in the closet with a thick dampening blanket covering the door.

2x 15 hour prints came out perfect. Now finishing a 40+ hour long print, which i checked an hour ago, and was perfect.

So i think that solves the issue :)And i get a bit more peace and quiet :D

Somua tank (French WWII tank) was the test print:

somua.jpg

Edit: Does PVA play nice with colorfabb PLA/PHA?

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Got 2 UM3's in the closet with a thick dampening blanket covering the door.

2x 15 hour prints came out perfect. Now finishing a 40+ hour long print, which i checked an hour ago, and was perfect.

So i think that solves the issue :)And i get a bit more peace and quiet :D

Somua tank (French WWII tank) was the test print:

somua.jpg

Edit: Does PVA play nice with colorfabb PLA/PHA?

regarding pla/pha > no.

so far best results i've had is ultimaker PLA with ultimaker PVA. but I'll be honest, I like the Ice Filaments PVA better.. seems to have better adhesion. haven't tried Ice Filaments PVA + PLA/PHA.

sidenote:

WP_20161110_21_17_20_Pro.thumb.jpg.50fcde5bc4606f780a86c0904bd34b0f.jpg

this is the enclosure I use. I have placed fans in the back and an environmental sensor. you have to make sure the temp is around or below 30 degrees celsius if you are dealing with PVA and PLA.. the feeders will bite into the filament if the temp of the filament gets too hot. I would not put them in a closet without ventilation. if you need a heated chamber, only cover the top and front, don't cover the back.

WP_20161110_21_17_20_Pro.thumb.jpg.50fcde5bc4606f780a86c0904bd34b0f.jpg

Thanks for sharing Korneel, quite a nice set up you have going on there.

And not too long ago I think I saw that closet filled with Ultimaker 2+'s. Did they already depart to the school?

Why do you like Ice PVA better? Any noticeable difference? Would be interesting to know.

@Ronan, nice tank! How big is it? Good to hear the closet works as intended. And you can still check the progress using your phone or Cura :D

And not too long ago I think I saw that closet filled with Ultimaker 2+'s. Did they already depart to the school?

Why do you like Ice PVA better? Any noticeable difference? Would be interesting to know.

@Ronan, nice tank! How big is it? Good to hear the closet works as intended. And you can still check the progress using your phone or Cura :D

yes.. used to be Ultimaker 2s and 2+ printers.. and 10 cm less tall.. ;)

all printers moved to the school and they are super happy :)

no good deed etc..

as far as the Ice PVA, for some reason it feels a bit "thicker" when depositing it, it feels sturdier.. in a large print i had to switch filaments, and I could see the difference between the Ice and Ultimaker PVA quite clearly. the ice filament was also more stable, more rigid..

yes.. used to be Ultimaker 2s and 2+ printers.. and 10 cm less tall.. ;)

all printers moved to the school and they are super happy :)

no good deed etc..

as far as the Ice PVA, for some reason it feels a bit "thicker" when depositing it, it feels sturdier.. in a large print i had to switch filaments, and I could see the difference between the Ice and Ultimaker PVA quite clearly. the ice filament was also more stable, more rigid..

Thanks! Is there any difference in how it adheres to PLA / Nylon? Or maybe even ABS?

Or how it dissolves in water?

Thanks! Is there any difference in how it adheres to PLA / Nylon? Or maybe even ABS?

Or how it dissolves in water?

dissolves just as well, only tried it with PLA and i think it stuck a little bit better but not sure.. so I would not bet my life on it.. it just felt.. different :)