Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
KrankyPanda

Continious Running

An Ultimaker (Original, 2/2+/3) should be able to print for days continuously without any issue (if the print settings are right and the filament spool doesn't have a tangle).

So I would not fear about that. The only issue I would take good care is the spool can have a tangle, but is rare and good quality spools shouldn't have those (but even then it can happen).

I agree, On a UM2 I just finished a two day 3 hours print today and printed off the roll to be sure of no tangles! So yes, if you dont suffer any tangles and are printing at good settings, You're good to go on a short holiday while your model prints. Ive got my Ulitmaker 2 in the kitchen. Still heard the vibration rumbles of it printing all night lol, thats something you'll need to get uesd to especially if it gets real quiet.

Some people think its a fire hazard, but you'll get used to not caring after a while because you have more chance of winning the lottery 10 times in a row in my opinion, even when things go wrong.

You might want to add a bit of sewing oil to the rods if they are thirsty for continual printing.

Edited by Guest

agree it should be safe to run all night.... you'll have to specially with the dual on UM3 +20 hrs is normal.

I would advice to install some decent smoke detectors though..... and don't leave it on when you're on holiday :)

I've done a few 7-8 day print jobs and once everything is tuned in its no problem. I use an external spool holder for these prints as usually its a 2.4KG spool from Colorfabb, so a bit heavy and large for the back of the Ultimaker 2 Extended +.

Thanks all!  That puts my mind to rest :)

I remember almost two years ago when I was thinking about getting a UMO+ the continuous print was one of the fears, but after reading this https://ultimaker.com/en/blog/90-the-109-hour-ultimaker-original-print I was just sure it was a good buy.

So if a UMO+ can do it, fear not, a UM3 can too.

Edited by Guest