Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
small

Upgraded UM2 to UM2+; Error in Z switch after upgradation

Hi,

I upgraded Ultimaker 2 to Ultimakr 2+ with their extrusion upgrade kit. Watched the video of instructions and did it exactly as per the instructions (Have done a similar thing to an other UM2 printer and was installed successfully).

Please watch the attached link for the video

After up-gradation kit was installed the firmware was upgraded to version 2.3. Started the calibration process after turning on the printer. After the calibration step is about to complete. The build platform moves not all the way down (Shown in video) and gives an

ERROR - STOPPED

Z Switch Broken

Thought it was an firmware issue. So changed the firmware from Cura 2.3 to 15.04.6. But the problem still exists.

Checked the Ultimaker website for troubleshoot 'ER05' and according to it I checked the main board and all connectors to ensure all connections were not loose.

Please help me recognize what went wrong during installation.

Best,

Small

Most UM2s have a dedicated fan port, highlighted in green on this picture. The very earliest ones don't have one. I've indicated the pins used for the rear fan in blue.

If you accidentally plug your orange and blue fan rear fan wire into the port highlighted in red (labeled 8/16) you're changing the steps of your Z-motor and it's only moving half as far as the machine thinks it is. Re-plugging it into the correct slot if it's in the wrong one should resolve the issue. If you managed to get it passed the calibration point, I'd also recommend a factory reset. If you can't get it passed the calibration point with it plugged in to the 8/16 connector, plugging it into the fan port alone should do the trick.

5a3325424c40d_FanPorts.thumb.png.f2649ce2d9d4898d00b5786d2b3e5b5e.png

A bit of a longshot, but did you accidentally connect the fan wire to the microstepping header on the board instead of the white connector?

Yes I had accidentally placed the orange blue wire fan into 8/16 connector. I now fixed it and changed it to where it should be (In the green box indicated in the picture attached.

IMG_20161220_161947_01.thumb.jpg.0fc6090f81fc5e31440bd0437c3485e5.jpg

But now the build-plate hits the extruder without stopping.

-Best

Small

IMG_20161220_161947_01.thumb.jpg.0fc6090f81fc5e31440bd0437c3485e5.jpg

Most UM2s have a dedicated fan port, highlighted in green on this picture. The very earliest ones don't have one. I've indicated the pins used for the rear fan in blue.

Yes I had accidentally placed the orange blue wire fan into 8/16 connector. I now fixed it and changed it to where it should be (In the green box indicated in the picture attached.

IMG_20161220_161947_01.thumb.jpg.bab6065a0be38a6403ced6d127652476.jpg

But according to the Ultimaker 2+ instructions video, the yellow green wires for the rear fan are supposed to go 'FAN PWM' (Light blue box in my picture) and that's where they are placed even in an another UM2+ I own. Thus that where I hae them right now unlike the pins marked in blue box in your picture.

Now when I changed the port and turned on the printer, the buildplate rises and hits the extruder so I manually shut the printer down.

I also upgraded the firmware to 2.3.

I would do a factory reset but am not able to get past the calibration point due to the build-plate bumping into the extruder in the first step.

Thanks for your input. You were correct to point out that I placed the connector in the wrong slot. What should I do now?

Best,

Small

IMG_20161220_161947_01.thumb.jpg.bab6065a0be38a6403ced6d127652476.jpg

Hi,
We have an Ultimaker 2 Extended 2016. We are trying to go through the calibration wizard of the ultimaker, it recognizes the home while starting and raising the plate, but after calibrating with of 1mm card and the paper is done, retracting the build plate does not move down the plate completely and stops at a predetermined distance before it reaches home position, the error pops up saying 'Z switch broken' and go to ultimaker.com/ER05. We have tried all the troubleshooting methods on Ultimaker's website, but this issue is persistent and we cannot go ahead of calibration step, the wiring is also correct as per the images shown. Is there any other way to counter this issue? Your expertise is highly appreciated.

It sounds like the same problem as the original poster - it sounds like you have UM2 firmware on a UM2 extended.  Somewhere in the firmware it specifies the height of the Z (about 200mm for um2 and about 300mm for extended).  ALSO it's critical that after you upgrade the firmware you do a RESET TO FACTORY SETTINGS.

This is because the Z height is stored both in the firmware and also in the eeprom which is separate and when you upgrade the firmware if there is already a height in there then the new firmware doesn't modify that.  Actually you might simply want to try RESET TO FACTORY SETTINGS without actually updating the firmware as that alone might fix your issue.

• Like 1

Hi gr5,

So I tried the factory reset and also saw my board it has the constraints for Z axis as 205mm that's the Z distance for UM2 because we burned the earlier board and got this new one so we need another odd 95-100mm for UM2E to get rid of the error I suppose. Is there anyway that we can change the default setting for homing constraints to 305mm instead of 205mm for Z axis.

Oh!  Okay - and you are sure you selected "extended" in cura?

Okay assuming you did another possibility is that there is a jumper on the circuit board that can make Z be either 8 stubsteps or 16 substeps.  In fact some people accidentally connected the fan connector to this jumper and what happens is the fan acts like a short (or close enough) and the Z axis moves half the distance it is supposed to.

So look at the circuit board - both sides - and near the middle of the board (not on any edge) is a connector and if you look at it carefully it says something like 8/16 z steps.  Something like that.  Make sure NOTHING is connected to those two pins.