Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
markus_oswald

turn off the lights

I know we can be a bit slow in communications sometimes. But, this feature has been developed. And is going into the next testing firmware. Which (by my estimate, could be wrong here) will be in the stable firmware in less then 2 months.

It allows for the same level of lighting control as in the UM2. So you can configure brightness and always on/off, as well as only on during printing features.

Meanwhile, you can turn off the lights using Tinkercad's firmware.

Is @tinkergnome and sadly no, there's no tinkergnome firmware for UM3.

Also users (at least right now) can't build UM3 firmwares since they are signed by UM, but is possible to edit the machine firmware by accessing by ssh. Also you can use gcode and edit it manually to add the lights off command, or wait 2 months for the firmware with the led control option.

Meanwhile, you can turn off the lights using Tinkercad's firmware.

Is @tinkergnome and sadly no, there's no tinkergnome firmware for UM3.

Also users (at least right now) can't build UM3 firmwares since they are signed by UM, but is possible to edit the machine firmware by accessing by ssh. Also you can use gcode and edit it manually to add the lights off command, or wait 2 months for the firmware with the led control option.

Or, take the jump to the testing firmware TODAY. As we pushed a new version to testing yesterday that has lighting settings. Not sure how important lighting configuration is for you and if you are willing to risk running a testing version.

(Small note, we noticed that installing the update can seem to block on the Ultimaker logo after first restart, after power cycling your machine works. Bug is known, cause is know and will be fixed before this becomes stable)

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Oh and also, we signed the firmware not to keep you guys out of changing things. If I wanted that, I would have made it a whole lot more difficult to get into the system. Instead I like it that you guys poke in the firmware.

We are signing the updates to prevent attacks on the system, as we now can do over-the-air updates, we need to ensure that no man-in-the-middle attack is done and your nice Ultimaker 3 is turned into a spam bot.

• Like 2

Given you're setting up the new firmware... (and I've read somewhere you've used RGB LEDs - is it correct?) maybe it could be interesting having different LEDs colors in general, or colors per print core in use, or colors per print completion status?

(ok not as useful as switching those - nice - LEDs off, I admit ;-)

The Cores change colors and lighting patterns based on what it is doing (heating, in use, cooled) and you can turn the overall interior lights down on the machine by going into the 'Tune' menu during printing or by going into the 'Maintenance' menu. It is called 'Frame Light...'