UM3 Compatible Small Diameter Nozzles

Posted · UM3 Compatible Small Diameter Nozzles

So I have been looking through the forum for info on smaller diameter nozzles (.25mm,.15mm) and its led me to a couple of sites with UM2 and UM2+ nozzles and I was wondering if those would also be compatible with the UM3.

If anyone has any guidance for me about which nozzles to buy from which site and if there any additional parts I would need to install them, it would be much appreciated. Also, any recommended settings for the smaller line widths would help as well.

Thanks!

Hi @Rossboss, it is true that these different nozzle sizes are compatible with the Ultimaker 2+, they are not for the Ultimaker 3.

The Ultimaker 3 has a very different designed printhead. If you have one, I am sure you have seen the print cores.

The print cores are there to make your user experience easier and more straight forward. Among other things, the Ultimaker 3 can read data from the print cores so it knows what nozzle is in there, and for what materials this is a good fit. Swapping nozzles would compromise this concept.

But we are working on different set of print cores to be added to the Ultimaker 3 parts. So you will be able to use them with a little bit of patience.

The full picture is a little bit more complex than 'just' designing a new nozzle. As part of the concept, it should also come with pre-tested and pre-configured profiles for each material, especially aimed for that print core. Hence that we did not have a full set ready at launch. But it is coming :)

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Posted (edited) · UM3 Compatible Small Diameter Nozzles

Thanks @SandervG! Glad to hear that they are in the works. If you can say, is it a matter of weeks or months?

Also if it is the better part of a year away, my employers might see it worth the risk of using a smaller nozzle on the AA core. Is there a conceivable way to make a smaller nozzle work on the AA core, or is there absolutely no chance of it working? We'd be prepared to purchase extra cores if necessary to determine the right configuration.

Edited by Guest

hmm, I would say probably somewhere in between ;) Estimation is around the end of Q1 but don't pin me down on it.

I know @Neotko has been feeling adventurous about modifying his print cores, and I believe he also installed a different nozzle. But it is important to know such modifications come at your own risk.

When you speak of a smaller nozzle, are you thinking of 0.25mm or even smaller?

If you don't mind sharing, I am curious of what you are making :)

Thank you for the info! That might work out just fine for me and I'm guessing .25mm would be sufficient.

I can't share the application but I am trying to print very small lattice structures. They printed to completion with the .4mm nozzle but there were holes and defects.

@Neotko any advice on the matter? What was your experience with changing the nozzle?

Hi @Rossboss

Truth to be told the only tests I did with this cores, @Gudo made the mod for me, where done with 0.4 nozzles for 1.75mm. So no idea, I almost never use any other nozzle than 0.4 so no idea sorry :D

@SandervG any updates on cores with the smaller diameter nozzles?

Edited by Guest

@SandervG any updates on cores with the smaller diameter nozzles?

You can purchase a 3dsolex hard core pro print core which has a couple of changeable nozzles (as small as 0.1mm)

Please update us here if you finally do so and share your experience. I have only heard about them on the net and haven't actually tried anything from them.

No update about smaller print cores just yet. We did just release a 0.8 print core, however that is probably the exact opposite of what you are looking for. (But progress nonetheless).

Precisely, but still excited to try the 0.8 for something soon.

Precisely, but still excited to try the 0.8 for something soon.

3D Solex has a third party removable core (HardCore Pro) with changeable nozzles, as small as 0.1 mm  Here's a link

Haven't seen any reviews on yet though.. perhaps because its new

Edit: Funny I'm replying about the same thing a couple of days later. Sorry, I haven't seen my previous reply above.

Edited by Guest

@didierklein and @gr5 have experience with that modification :)

On 7/11/2017 at 3:36 PM, ftoons said:

3D Solex has a third party removable core (HardCore Pro) with changeable nozzles, as small as 0.1 mm  Here's a link

Haven't seen any reviews on yet though.. perhaps because its new

Edit: Funny I'm replying about the same thing a couple of days later. Sorry, I haven't seen my previous reply above.

I have tried it.

It prints great. but when you want to change or unload the material it keeps clogging every time and it was very hard to clean it. So, I return it.

And bought the .25 from ultimaker, it works great. And I’m buying the .8 now

On 7/5/2017 at 12:03 PM, SandervG said:

No update about smaller print cores just yet. We did just release a 0.8 print core, however that is probably the exact opposite of what you are looking for. (But progress nonetheless).

Cura is ready for it though with profiles in the offing :)

And by now we have .25 nozzle print cores too :)

3 minutes ago, SandervG said:

And by now we have .25 nozzle print cores too :)

UM or 3rd party? I was aware of 3rd party.....Did you guys do the 0.25 profile to make way for the 3rd party offerings?

Ultimaker 3 print core 0.25:)

Only AA though. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SandervG said:

Ultimaker 3 print core 0.25:)

Only AA though. 

Wow...I have been so tunnel visioned on my weird projects I missed that one......duhhhhhh

no problemo, happy to help!

Can I ask a question for UM3?? If I only want to replace the nozzle and not the complete 100 euros print core... which are my options?? 

Sure you can! If you want to replace just the nozzle on a print core, this is not possible. There are third party products that allow you to do so, but not on an official Ultimaker 3 print core. 

Are the ones from 3D Solex, printing Core compatible with the nozzles of UM3 printing core?? Any manufacturer that you could recommend just to buy the nozzles?  I think Ultimaker should sell them. 100 Euros to buy the whole thing is just too much. Coming to this.., I read somewhere that nozzles inner shapes from AA and BB are different. Will this affect printing settings or quality based on standard settings for Ultimaker materials?

2 hours ago, SandervG said:

Sure you can! If you want to replace just the nozzle on a print core, this is not possible. There are third party products that allow you to do so, but not on an official Ultimaker 3 print core. 

I believe that @gr5 has a video showing how to do it for the adventurous soul with the idea that if it is dead, then what have you got to lose? He also may be able to say where to get the proper replacement nozzle as well since they are not standard in height.

I would not recommend to take your print core apart, there is a high chance of breaking it / doing damage to it and we use special tools to assemble them to make sure tolerances are right. You can also not buy the nozzles separately because there is no way to install them. AA and BB nozzles indeed have a different internal geometry and if you would print PLA in both (as an example) this indeed would influence quality. Most likely, the BB nozzle will ooze and string more. 

If you want/need to replace nozzles, you probably have to collect some feedback regarding the 3D Solex hard cores to find out of this is something for you. 

I would agree that if you are going to take something apart, it should be a product already designed for that. But, people can be adventurous.