Why can I only rotate on one axis?

mtm4ck

Posted · Why can I only rotate on one axis?

Hey guys, I am running Cura 2.4 on a 64bit Windows 7 Home Premium machine. Everything works great except for my ability to rotate a part. I can only rotate it end over end or the red axis. There have been several instances like in the picture below where the part was imported just outside of the table dimensions. I need to slightly rotate it on the flat 2 dimensional table plane (blue axis) to get it within the margins but the only thing I can highlight and rotate is the red plane which doesn't get me where I need to be. Mouseover does nothing on the green or blue plane only highlights the red plane for adjustment. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

curarotate.thumb.png.31b3e317e055cef2ec421c3e3456cf91.png

curarotate.thumb.png.31b3e317e055cef2ec421c3e3456cf91.png

I tried that. No luck. I also tried turning off supports, no change. I'm not sure what's going on. Are you able to select and rotate the blue and green axis?

It works fine for me. I believe bagel-orb is a cura author so I'd listen to his advice above. Certainly he is very knowledgeable about these things.

@bagel-orb is the CuraEngine man, not so much the front-end man. Rotation should not be affected by whether or not the object fits the buildplate.

Something to check is whether the other axes work in the other tools (move, scale, mirror). It sounds like the "picking" of the axes model is broken for you. I vaguely remember reading that before but can't remember if it was resolved.

@bagel-orb is the CuraEngine man, not so much the front-end man. Rotation should not be affected by whether or not the object fits the buildplate.

Something to check is whether the other axes work in the other tools (move, scale, mirror). It sounds like the "picking" of the axes model is broken for you. I vaguely remember reading that before but can't remember if it was resolved.

I will have to say that you must click and drag ON the axis guides (RGB = XYZ) to rotate. If there is any distance from the cursor and the axis, it will not work. This can be problem in some displays such as small laptops and such. I've had to adjust the motions I use if I get onto different computers or screen resolutions.

Posted (edited) · Why can I only rotate on one axis?

I'm running an HP laptop with a fresh install of Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.  It has all of the updates from Microsoft.  It has an ATI Radeon HD 4500 and all of those drivers are up to date.  Cura version is the latest 64bit 2.4

All other functions of the program seem fine.  I have tried everything suggested. Different scales, different size build plates, uninstalling/reinstalling, unchecking this box and that, nothing allows me to rotate on the green or blue axis.

Edited by Guest

I'm running an HP laptop with a fresh install of Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.  It has all of the updates from Microsoft.  It has an ATI Radeon HD 4500 and all of those drivers are up to date.  Cura version is the latest 64bit 2.4

All other functions of the program seem fine.  I have tried everything suggested.  Different scales, different size build plates, uninstalling/reinstalling, unchecking this box and that, nothing allows me to rotate on the green or blue axis.

If you can rotate on the Z, then I would not know what is going on. But, I had a laptop just as you describe and it always gave me issues with clicking and dragging in one way or another. I had to be very careful.

I am really lost on that though with your issues.

I have the same problem with cura 2.x (2.5 at the moment) on my DELL Precision M6400 Laptop. I can only rotate about the X-axis with the red circle.

Hi mtm4ck,

I have two HP laptop, one Pavilion G4 with an AMD Radeon HD 7670M and the other one an old HP/Compaq 6910p.

Both of them is running Cura 2.5 (the best version so far of this new generation of Cura IMO), as with all the other versions there have been some issues. The "one" I've had problem with is the old Cura setup files, "somehow" those are not always compatible with next new version of Cura. If you have had old versions of Cura installed, you'll need to delete the (sometime hidden) Cura setup files, or just rename the directory/catalog for those files.

Another strange thing with HP (my experience), is that; if you go into the "setup" in your computer, you'll see a HP name instead of the real"AMD Radeon" display"processor". So upgrade of those drivers has to be done at HP's web site.

Well, you probably did that??

Just my 5 p.

Thanks

Torgeir.

Edited by Guest

I have exactly the same problem with 2.3.1 (latest 32bit version). I can only select the red axis. Green or blue do not highlight at all.

My laptop running 2.3.1 32bit will only let me select the red axis. You mouse over it to highlight it, then click and drag. Green and Blue will not.

My desktop running 2.4.0 64bit had same problem.

I upgraded to 2.5.0 on my desktop and it works as expected.

I use my laptop for all of my slicing as it's connected to the printer. It would be very nice if I didn't have to go back and forth garage<->2nd floor of my house to slice.

Other people had this exact problem and fixed it by upgrading video drivers. Or use a different computer maybe?

I have the same problem with cura 2.x (2.5 at the moment) on my DELL Precision M6400 Laptop. I can only rotate about the X-axis with the red circle.

It happens because of corrupted driver file. Thus, to fix it, manually install new drivers that more updated , new and latest then before. Also upgrade your software to new version. Make sure that the graphic card you are using should be compatible with specifications of the software. Here i am sharing Dell Precision M6400 Manual- https://guideusermanual.com/product-name-precision-m6400-manual&po=344511&lang=English with you for more assistance help.

I also had the problem on my Dell Precision M6400 & Ati Fire Pro 7740. Updating the video driver to version 8.702.0.0 solved the problem!

I have the same problem, it also grumbles on only one axis, what can I do? Laptop ProBooK4515 video ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4300 Series drivers are the latest to this video card. Cura 3.5

У меня таже проблема, тоже врящает только по одной оси, что можно сделать?
    Ноутбук ProBooK4515 видео ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4300 Series драйвера последние которые есть к этой видеокарте. Cura 3.5

Edited by Taxom