How to monitor Octoprint from Cura

Prr0

Posted · How to monitor Octoprint from Cura

So which flavor of gcode should labern and I select?

And will this play nice on the Ultimaker 2+ @nallath?

What remains is what should the proper gcode entries?

@labern you don't know what flavor use with octoprint?

Well, use reprap as the image says, so that's more than clear. For the header, you guys know gcode, and cura has some when using reprap. So. On issues there.

I don't have octoprint but I hardly see a problem with all the info you got atm.

@neotko Why do you think I don't know what flavor to use?

I have mine working just fine.

LePaul is asking because there are two versions of reprap to choose from. I said I used reprap marlin.

For people who don't know much about this stuff it is not enough info.

And by not enough info I don't mean in CURA but more setting up the raspberry pi. But I'm not expecting anyone at UM to make a full tutorial.

I love the plugin.

Just needs some firmware love for the UM2 when usb printing.

Well I think everyone here on the forum knows that UM won't give love to the usb. They even removed the connection hole on the um3 frame (the board still have it). And they been not supporting the usb print since the first um2.

I thought was weird you didn't knew what flavor to choose like Lepaul said, that's what I mention it. Glad you do.

About pi, well it's been always a tinkerers platform with lots of forums and users, but isn't a plug/play solution. There are some pi boxes that have more friendly UI.

My bad if I got things mixed up.

My hope was there was an established step by step on how to make this work. As Neotko advised on my forum, using the Start and End GCODE from my Simplify 3D Ultimaker 2+ profile would be a really good idea to try out.

But I am also wondering if the USB will give problems in the future? (Have others had issues with OctoPrint and the USB?)

Still this moves me in the right direction to try out.

• Like 1

UM might not officially support USB printing but there only needs to be one change in the firmware that I can see so far to make this plugin work nicely. So I guess anyone could do it and make a pull request. That may even be me if I get bored on night Shift.

I even might make a set up tutorial as I think this is a nice option for Wi-Fi printing on UM2(+).

@LePaul the reprap start / end gcode does work but could be improved. I was going to try to write one a bit more simular to UM3.

Posted (edited) · How to monitor Octoprint from Cura

Could you share what you entered in for the Ultimaker 2+?

Here's what I had cut/pasted from my Frederick S3D UM2+ profile

Start

G28 ; home all axesG1 X20 Y10 F3000 ; bring extruder to frontG92 E0 ; zero the extruded lengthG1 Z10 ; lowerG1 E19 F200 ; purge nozzle quicklyG1 E26 F60 ; purge nozzle slowlyG92 E0 ; zero the extruded length againG1 E-5.5 F400 ; retractG1 X190 Z0 F9000 ; pull away filamentG1 X210 F9000 ; wipeG1 Y20 F9000 ; wipeG1 E0 ; feed filament back

End

;End GCodeM104 S0                     ;extruder heater offM140 S0                     ;heated bed heater off (if you have it)G91                                    ;relative positioningG1 E-1 F300                            ;retract the filament a bit before lifting the nozzleto release some of the pressureG1 Z+0.5 E-5 X-20 Y-20 F{travel_speed} ;move Z up a bit and retract filament even moreG28 X0 Y0                              ;move X/Y to min endstopsso the head is out of the wayM84                         ;steppers offG90                         ;absolute positioning;{profile_string}

Edited by Guest

It already had start end code when I selected reprap. This works.

Gcode is very easy to learn and I would encourage you to learn it. You can look here for implemented gcodes that UM uses and then you can customize it how you like.

@lepaul why did you need a gcode start/end? Cura adds it automatically when changing flavors...

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Now that's a great guide, so no scripting needed in OctoPrint settings.

And a good suggestion on tweaking the End code in Cura.

Okay, I have a second print underway...that video offers some good advice on the amount of material to prime with and the end section for z-positioning.

A few things I noticed...

1) This is a old issue but on my Ultimaker 2+, I will continue to have to manually 'Move Material' to properly prime the nozzle. Or set the gcode to push out closer to 50mm to actually prime itself well.

2) When gcode is selected, in Cura, you get the "Material" menu back. If you have grown used to the Ultimaker 2 knowing the temperature settings for your material, you'll have to set it again! Unless there's a way for Cura to transpose the material settings into there (temp, etc)? Here's what came up once I went from Ulticode to gcode/reprap. I ask since Cura knows the material I am using (Ultimaker PLA), perhaps it can autofill the areas?

cura-octo-default.JPG.ce5c87f6d4ec1931bf89c3477f69a75a.JPG

3) Time elapsed moves around a lot in Octoprint! It takes a while to align itself to what Cura predicts.

4) As mentioned with the Materials tab, I am curious if any settings based on the material profile gets shifted/altered/changed going into gcode/reprap?

The amount primed could be less if you retract less at the end of a print. Is all in the gcode. Isn't a machine problem but the settings you set with it. UM probably retracts alot to avoid dripping over the print.

Ultigcode uses a different header so the material temp are set on the machine. Reprap flavor includes everything needed for the print, so temperature etc goes on the gcode. You can edit everything since gcode is just a txt file. You really should check reprap wiki about gcode to get use to, is a very easy system, easier than Logo programming.

Timelapses, that's a problem of Octoprint. Cura does a really close to reality estimation. I bet that if you google you can set something on octoprint to read the estimated print time from the gcode. If not, just trust Cura (now that's a phrase I didn't see me writing). Again that's a Octoprint problem, not cura. https://github.com/foosel/OctoPrint/issues/270

About 4, no idea. Never had a um2, but one should assume they copy/paste the same temperature settings than the materials.

Edited by Guest

If I may? I think we have a whose on first issue.

I *think* the OP has what I had: The connect to octoprint link just doesn't show. I have Cura 2.7 and the default OctoPrint plugin didn't work for me. I had to download the 2.7 plugin, rename the old one and drop it in as the *exact* name as the old one.

If the OP does that, I think they'll get what they need.

@geedeck, what OS do you run?

All official releases of Cura 2.7 come with the exact version of the OctoPrintPlugin that you can download.

Edited by Guest