Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
SandervG

Ultimaker AMA

21 minutes ago, robinmdh said:

I doubt that had anything to do with it

Way to ruin a good story ,,,HaRUMPPPphhhhhh  I bet you were no fun when sent to the principal at school ;)

21 minutes ago, robinmdh said:

P.S: The mechanical difference between AA and BB is subtle and small but crucial

And that is why it is BadAss!! Again....messing with a cool legend/story in the making....PaSHAwwwwww  ;p

22 minutes ago, robinmdh said:

P.P.P.S: This is getting hugely off topic,

Hey, I resemble that remark!!  :O

8 minutes ago, Brulti said:

Yes. And when we can expect UM to market that kind of cores. 

I'm a software developer, nobody tells me anything, how would I know?

I suppose you can get an olssonruby or 3dsolex (but their cores have more powerful heaters and the don't tell marlin about that causing a power loss by drawing too much current, something we prevent in SW)

@kmanstudios don't let me ruin your suspension of disbelief! yes I do take things too literal at times, I'll work on it.

It is badass though that such a small change makes that much difference...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, robinmdh said:

yes I do take things too literal at times

Me too!!! I am just having fun. But I can seriously get limited by the 'too literal' and, my sense of humour is way out there too.

I even composed a 'theme' song for the BB core based of the Bad Boys Song...

"Whatcha gonna do when da support just don't print true......."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robinmdh said:

P.P.P.S: This is getting hugely off topic, should we continue with a new thread about abrasive resistant print cores?

First step was 0.8 AA and 0.25 AA cores.

FDM printers will always be superior to SLA printers because of hard materials.

I don't think will be an SLA that will print with carbon fiber,

I think now you understand my point of vue.

By the way, before S5 came out, i did say that the XY axle should be longer to use all the buid plate no matter what combinaition of cores you choose.

4 hours ago, robinmdh said:

I doubt that had anything to do with it, at first they were CB and CS for "Cartridge build" and "Cartridge Support", then marketing/sales/support/IDK came along and they became AA and BB I've asked what it meant but never got an answer that gave any meaning to the name, just clearly different and short enough to put on the front of the core.

They also came up with Print Core because Dual Core sounds nice, which has worked out surprisingly well, so what the hell do I know about Marketing anyway?  <- rhetorical, don't answer that

P.S: The mechanical difference between AA and BB is subtle and small but crucial

P.P.S: Internally there's still a HotendCartridgeManager, etc.

P.P.P.S: This is getting hugely off topic, should we continue with a new thread about abrasive resistant print cores?

Actually, you have that history the wrong way around. Marketing wanted BuildCore and SupportCore. R&D corrected them, and explained that the cores are not specific to build/support materials but to specific material properties. It wouldn't be strange that some exotic build material needs to be printed in a BB core (I look at you "woodfill")

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Daid said:

Actually, you have that history the wrong way around. Marketing wanted BuildCore and SupportCore. R&D corrected them, and explained that the cores are not specific to build/support materials but to specific material properties. It wouldn't be strange that some exotic build material needs to be printed in a BB core (I look at you "woodfill") 

Always interesting to know how things came to be, still doesn't explain AA or BB beyond that being generic names that say nothing about what it does, which I guess then was the point.

Just a reminder; in just 2 days, Wednesday May 16th Steve Harris and @fbrc8-erin will be ready for your questions during their AMA about quality assurance and assembly! Feel free to already post some questions here:

10 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

Crap....I have an appointment that day....can I post questions to have answered while I am absent?

Of course!  See below. Follow the link and write your questions there. If they don't get an answer automatically, I'll ask them on your behalf ?

48 minutes ago, SandervG said:

Feel free to already post some questions here:

• Like 1

In a few weeks a new AMA is coming up ? Industry experts from Owens Corning will take the stage. If you have any questions regarding properties and advantages of glass filled material, PP or PA, abrasive materials or something down those lines, this is your chance!

More information will follow soon!