Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
bob-hepple

My Um 2 has died how can I revive it

Hi All

while doing the parts for the Mark 2 Mod the machine just died, no power on the machine, the power supply is still lit up blue, when I switch on the machine I hear a relay click but nothing else,, I take it the mother board has a fuse, what should be the first things to check if any before I strip to the board.

There is one relay. K1. It should click on within .1 second - difficult to hear but if you have a musical ear it's obvious.

1) leave printer on but unplug power supply. let it discharge fully. This took > 24 hours once but at least 5 minutes. Then turn printer off, plug supply back in and turn printer back on. This helped me several times.

2) Measure the 24V on the exposed circuit board when power is on. This pushes you into two different lines of inquiry depending if 24V is there or not.

I'm guessing 24V is fine (because of the relay sound but still it might only be putting out 5V which might be enough for the relay but nothing else) and you need a new PCB. If it's less than a year you can probably get a new one under warranty.

I don't think there are any fuses. That would be too easy.

• Like 1

Neotko _ thanks for the reply didn't get that far, to plug anything in, it was a normal day printing the parts - then STOP lights out and dead..

gr5 thanks for the points I'll strip the board later today and check Voltages at the input, I guess if 24v is not there then its the supply if it is there and theres no 5v supply then its the board?? The machine is about 4 yrs old so thats warrenty out,, where can I get new boards from?? Uk authorived dealer 3dGBire dont list them,,

I also found this thread from the Forum that GR5 had an input on

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/11256-where-to-buy-power-supply-for-ultimaker-2

I downloaded the schematics..

if I end up buying a new board will the drivers for the second extruder be on there for the Mark 2 Mod,, I have all the bits and it would be money waisted if they are not on the board.

thanks for all the replies appreciated..

Just checked the power supply from the above link - it is outputting 12.5 volts has this a bearing or does the supply need to be in the board (under load)

Please test this, remove the HEATER from the board, and check if turns on. Once I had a bad heater and was forcing everything to turn off.

• Like 1

Neotko

Thanks for this I will try it over weekend or Monday when I get a chance to strip the machine, Holding my breath really don't want to shell out at Moment don't have another machine to print the parts for the Mark 2 or I would have done the wiring while the machine is in bits..

Thanks will report.. Thanks

Don't make conjectures or worry about buying a new PCB when the problem is more likely the power brick. 12V is bad. It's supposed to be 24V.

Did you measure 12V with printer connected? Or with printer not connected?

If you measured 12V with printer connected - then it might still be either thing (power brick or PCB).

GR5

Thanks for reply, I measured the 12.5v without the printer connected. I heave left the UM2 switched on and connected to supply WITHOUT it being plugged in for nearly 24hrs,, I going to try it again if nothing is working I suppose new power brick first.. found them R.S

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/6796889/?cm_mmc=UK-PPC-0212-_-Google_3_MPN_Exact-_-Mean_Well_PSF_430701_Desktop_Power_Supply-_-GS220A24-R7B&gclid=CjkKEQjwttWcBRCuhYjhouveusIBEiQAwjy8IO5HqroXrrMNd1VsmV-kLjD7UkweODs2sBdxc5_y6FPw_wcB

Expensive..